A Look Back: The 2009 Reality TV Year In Review - October 2009
By Christopher Rocchio, 12/29/2009
With 2009 drawing to a close, it's time to take a look back at the year that was. The following is Reality TV World's 2009 Reality TV Year In Review, a 12-part, month-by-month review of some of the past year's reality TV headlines, highlights, lowlights, and milestones.
Today we continue our 12-day countdown with the tenth installment: October 2009.
- MTV premieres Adam "DJ AM" Goldstein's Gone Too Far intervention reality series despite his August death due to an accidental drug overdose. The series is subsequently moved to a late-night time period due to low ratings.
- Former Gosselin family nanny Stephanie Santoro -- who previously alleged to have an affair with Jon -- claims he hacked into Kate's cell phone and email records, which he denies. Kate says she is "disturbed" by Santoro's latest allegations.
- The Biggest Loseropens a branded weight-loss resort and spa in Utah.
- TLC confirmsJon & Kate Plus 8 will no longer re-launch as Kate Plus 8 beginning November 2 and the reality show's last original Jon & Kate Plus 8-titled episode will now air in mid to late November. The network later confirms Jon & Kate Plus 8's last completed episode will air November 23.
- A report that Michael Jackson's kids are going to be part of A&E's upcoming reality series about the Jackson family surfaces, however his mom -- who received custody of the three children following his June death -- denies it.
- Dave Levey defeats Kevin Cottle to win Hell's Kitchen's sixth-season title.
- The Heene family -- who twice appeared on ABC's Wife Swap -- are at the center of an incident that gains national media attention when they claim their son accidentally lifted off in a homemade helium balloon only to learn that he was hiding at their house the whole time. The family denies the incident was a hoax, but authorities disagree and label it a hoax in an attempt to land a new reality show.
Premieres:Wedded to Perfection (10/2); Bartender Wars (10/2); Superfetch (10/3); The Next Iron Chef, Season 2 (10/4); Parking Wars, Season 3 (10/6); Ghost Lab (10/6); The Girls Next Door, Season 6 (10/11); Leave it to Lamas (10/11); Million Dollar Listing, Season 3 (10/12); Gone Too Far (10/12); Little People, Big World, Season 5 (10/16); Storm Chasers, Season 3 (10/18); Living with Ed, Season 3 (10/21); The Academy: Orange County Fires (10/24); Monica (10/27).
DISCUSS AND COMMENT ON THIS STORY Reality TV World now offers Facebook Comments on our stories. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then 'Add' your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the 'X' in the upper right corner of the comment box. Get more Reality TV World! Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or add our RSS feed.