The Next Great Champ
Fox has KO'd its own The Next Great Champ reality boxing series, announcing that despite its previous announcement, the low rated series will not be returning to the airwaves after a short two-week hiatus. Instead, the network has cancelled all future broadcasts of the series, with the remaining six episodes of the ten episode series now scheduled for broadcast on the media conglomerate's Fox Sports Net network of regional cable sports channels. Full Story
Oscar de la Hoya found himself helpless against a bigger and stronger opponent in the ring this weekend. After three weeks, his Fox reality series The Next Great Champ is finding itself in similar straits in the ratings wars.
Fox might have won its battle with Mark Burnett and gotten its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series on the air well before NBC's The Contender, but if the ratings for Tuesday's premiere episode are any indication, it doesn't look like it emerged from the fight with much of a prize.
It looks like Fox's copycat reality-competition boxing series The Next Great Champ will end up with as much battling in the courtroom as in the ring.
In a battle between competing reality shows, California courts have once again confirmed that commercial speech is protected by the First Amendment.
The "Great Reality TV Show Controversy of 2004" masterminded by Fox is finally headed to court ... despite a late date change by Fox that looked like an effort to circumvent the court fight (although Fox denies any intent to do so).
Officially confirming reports that have circulated for several weeks, Fox has announced that its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series will premiere on Friday, September 10 at 9PM ET/PT.
Daily Variety reports that Fox and Endemol USA quietly wrapped production on their copycat boxing-reality show, The Next Great Champ, over the weekend of July 24-25. To keep the audience at the championship bout from being able to "spoil" the identity of the show's ultimate winner, Endemol filmed several different "title fights" without telling the audience which one was the real wrap-up.
The slugfest continues.
As part of Fox's counter-offensive last week against the widespread charges of reality-TV idea theft directed at it, boxing world champion Oscar de la Hoya defended his show, The Next Great Champ, against claims that it blatantly ripped off NBC's The Contender. However, the Golden Boy's new tale is vastly different from his previous story -- so different, in fact, that any claims that de la Hoya might have to the virtues of honor and integrity may have suffered a technical knockout.
Give Fox credit -- it isn't bashful about trying to steal Mark Burnett's idea.
Not content to let NBC and producer Mark Burnett claim the reality boxing show sub-genre without a fight, FOX has announced that it has teamed with six-time World Champion Oscar De La Hoya and reality television powerhouse Endemol USA to launch a reality boxing competition series of its own.
- Exclusive: 'The Amazing Race' eliminees Brodie Smith and Kurt Gibson talk (Part 1)
- 'Dancing with the Stars' pro Keo Motsepe: Not to put down my previous partners, but Jodie Sweetin is special
- Carrie Underwood: I "definitely" want more kids with husband Mike Fisher!
- Rob Kardashian's fiancee Blac Chyna robbed of $200k after burglar opens safe in her home
- 'Dancing with the Stars' pro Keo Motsepe talks pressure: I've never made it this far, so it's all or nothing
- Gwen Stefani receives Hero Award at 2016 Radio Disney Music Awards
- Carrie Underwood wins Female Vocalist of the Year and dedicates award to young girl killed by drunk driver
- 'The Amazing Race' eliminates frontrunners Brodie Smith and Kurt Gibson after U-Turn
- Rob Kardashian lashes out after Khloe Kardashian calls Blac Chyna engagement "so f--ked up"
- Adam Levine reveals sex of baby on the way with wife Behati Prinsloo!
- 'Property Brothers' star Jonathan Scott reportedly placed in chokehold after North Dakota bar fight
- Khloe Kardashian and Rob Kardashian reunite in rare photo
- Kylie Jenner: I've paid for everything -- haven't had a dollar of Kris Jenner's money for five years
- Gigi Hadid parties with Kendall Jenner, Khloe Kardashian, Zayn Malik and A-list celebs at huge 21st birthday bash
- 'Dancing with the Stars' pro Artem Chigvintsev: I am not dating Mischa Barton, reports are wrong!
- Exclusive: 'The Amazing Race' "Newlyweds" Zach King and Rachel King talk (Part 2)
- Tia Mowry fights social media critic who calls her "fat" by tagging woman's employer
- Exclusive: 'Survivor: Kaoh Rong' castoff Julia Sokolowski talks (Part 1)
- 'STRONG' recap: Trainer Adam Von Rothfelder and trainee Claudia "CC" Collazo eliminated
- Michelle Obama and Jill Biden to appear on 'The Voice'
- 'American Grit' recap: Navy SEAL Rorke Denver's team loses Marc "The Machine" Lobliner
- Julia Sokolowski: 'Survivor: Kaoh Rong' castaways Kyle Jason and Scott Pollard were "wonderful" and "not bullies at all"
- Kris Jenner to Kim Kardashian -- Don't dump on Rob, you were married for 72 days, that's f-cked up sh-t too!
- Parent company of 'American Idol's production company files for bankruptcy