The Next Great Champ
Fox has KO'd its own The Next Great Champ reality boxing series, announcing that despite its previous announcement, the low rated series will not be returning to the airwaves after a short two-week hiatus. Instead, the network has cancelled all future broadcasts of the series, with the remaining six episodes of the ten episode series now scheduled for broadcast on the media conglomerate's Fox Sports Net network of regional cable sports channels. Full Story
Oscar de la Hoya found himself helpless against a bigger and stronger opponent in the ring this weekend. After three weeks, his Fox reality series The Next Great Champ is finding itself in similar straits in the ratings wars.
Fox might have won its battle with Mark Burnett and gotten its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series on the air well before NBC's The Contender, but if the ratings for Tuesday's premiere episode are any indication, it doesn't look like it emerged from the fight with much of a prize.
It looks like Fox's copycat reality-competition boxing series The Next Great Champ will end up with as much battling in the courtroom as in the ring.
In a battle between competing reality shows, California courts have once again confirmed that commercial speech is protected by the First Amendment.
The "Great Reality TV Show Controversy of 2004" masterminded by Fox is finally headed to court ... despite a late date change by Fox that looked like an effort to circumvent the court fight (although Fox denies any intent to do so).
Officially confirming reports that have circulated for several weeks, Fox has announced that its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series will premiere on Friday, September 10 at 9PM ET/PT.
Daily Variety reports that Fox and Endemol USA quietly wrapped production on their copycat boxing-reality show, The Next Great Champ, over the weekend of July 24-25. To keep the audience at the championship bout from being able to "spoil" the identity of the show's ultimate winner, Endemol filmed several different "title fights" without telling the audience which one was the real wrap-up.
The slugfest continues.
As part of Fox's counter-offensive last week against the widespread charges of reality-TV idea theft directed at it, boxing world champion Oscar de la Hoya defended his show, The Next Great Champ, against claims that it blatantly ripped off NBC's The Contender. However, the Golden Boy's new tale is vastly different from his previous story -- so different, in fact, that any claims that de la Hoya might have to the virtues of honor and integrity may have suffered a technical knockout.
Give Fox credit -- it isn't bashful about trying to steal Mark Burnett's idea.
Not content to let NBC and producer Mark Burnett claim the reality boxing show sub-genre without a fight, FOX has announced that it has teamed with six-time World Champion Oscar De La Hoya and reality television powerhouse Endemol USA to launch a reality boxing competition series of its own.
- French Montana: Khloe Kardashian is "my baby forever"
- 'The Bachelor's Chris Soules edition to premiere January 5 with three-hour live event
- 'The Biggest Loser' host Alison Sweeney bids farewell to 'Days of Our Lives'
- 'The Biggest Loser' eliminates Gina Haddon, sends Blake Benge to Comeback Canyon
- Melissa Rivers remembers mom Joan Rivers by tweeting Halloween photo
- Kristin Cavallari to appear on Bravo's 'The Millionaire Matchmaker'
- Exclusive: 'The Amazing Race' eliminees Keith Tollefson and Whitney Duncan talk (Part 2)
- Kate Gosselin "stayed clear" of Jon Gosselin at yard sale
- Janel Parrish addresses rumors she is dating Val Chmerkovskiy
- Juan Pablo Galavis stayed with Nikki Ferrell as long as he did to "spite haters" and "promote himself," say sources
- Exclusive: 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur -- Blood vs. Water' eliminee Kelley Wentworth talks (Part 2)
- Kristin Cavallari reveals son Jax's struggle with colic
- Andi Dorfman supports bestie Nikki Ferrell after Juan Pablo Galavis split: "You are the strongest girl I know"
- "Mama June" Shannon sex offender controversy apparently tearing 'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo' family apart
- Teresa Giudice reportedly "open" to letting cameras film her final days before prison
- Joan Rivers' daughter Melissa Rivers hires prominent law firm to sue Manhattan clinic
- 'The Voice' advances three "Knockout Round" winners to "The Live Playoffs," Gwen Stefani steals one artist
- 'America's Next Top Model' eliminates Mirjana Puhar, welcomes back Chantelle Brown-Young
- Mike "Sugar Bear" Thompson reportedly wants custody of Alana "Honey Boo Boo" Thompson but he's broke
- Antonio Sabato Jr. on 'Dancing with the Stars' exit: It was a sad moment
- Mike "Sugar Bear" Thompson upset sex offender Mark McDaniel gets near daugher Alana "Honey Boo Boo" Thompson
- Alfonso Ribeiro announces his wife is expecting another baby on 'Dancing with the Stars'
- 'The Voice' advances eight artists from the "Knockout Round" to "The Live Playoffs" as Taylor Swift joins
- 'Dancing with the Stars' ousts Antonio Sabato Jr. and partner Cheryl Burke, Bethany Mota tops leaderboard