The Next Great Champ
Fox has KO'd its own The Next Great Champ reality boxing series, announcing that despite its previous announcement, the low rated series will not be returning to the airwaves after a short two-week hiatus. Instead, the network has cancelled all future broadcasts of the series, with the remaining six episodes of the ten episode series now scheduled for broadcast on the media conglomerate's Fox Sports Net network of regional cable sports channels. Full Story
Oscar de la Hoya found himself helpless against a bigger and stronger opponent in the ring this weekend. After three weeks, his Fox reality series The Next Great Champ is finding itself in similar straits in the ratings wars.
Fox might have won its battle with Mark Burnett and gotten its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series on the air well before NBC's The Contender, but if the ratings for Tuesday's premiere episode are any indication, it doesn't look like it emerged from the fight with much of a prize.
It looks like Fox's copycat reality-competition boxing series The Next Great Champ will end up with as much battling in the courtroom as in the ring.
In a battle between competing reality shows, California courts have once again confirmed that commercial speech is protected by the First Amendment.
The "Great Reality TV Show Controversy of 2004" masterminded by Fox is finally headed to court ... despite a late date change by Fox that looked like an effort to circumvent the court fight (although Fox denies any intent to do so).
Officially confirming reports that have circulated for several weeks, Fox has announced that its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series will premiere on Friday, September 10 at 9PM ET/PT.
Daily Variety reports that Fox and Endemol USA quietly wrapped production on their copycat boxing-reality show, The Next Great Champ, over the weekend of July 24-25. To keep the audience at the championship bout from being able to "spoil" the identity of the show's ultimate winner, Endemol filmed several different "title fights" without telling the audience which one was the real wrap-up.
The slugfest continues.
As part of Fox's counter-offensive last week against the widespread charges of reality-TV idea theft directed at it, boxing world champion Oscar de la Hoya defended his show, The Next Great Champ, against claims that it blatantly ripped off NBC's The Contender. However, the Golden Boy's new tale is vastly different from his previous story -- so different, in fact, that any claims that de la Hoya might have to the virtues of honor and integrity may have suffered a technical knockout.
Give Fox credit -- it isn't bashful about trying to steal Mark Burnett's idea.
Not content to let NBC and producer Mark Burnett claim the reality boxing show sub-genre without a fight, FOX has announced that it has teamed with six-time World Champion Oscar De La Hoya and reality television powerhouse Endemol USA to launch a reality boxing competition series of its own.
- Exclusive: 'The Amazing Race' couple Jeff Magee and Lyda Grawn talk (Part 2)
- 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' reportedly gets picked up for a few more years
- Kendall Jenner and sister Kylie Jenner reportedly being considered to star in new E! spinoff
- Kanye West gets tattoos on his wrists to show love for two girls
- 'American Idol's Top 12 girls perform, standouts include Jax, Tyanna Jones and Sarina-Joi Crowe
- Exclusive: 'The Amazing Race' couple Jeff Magee and Lyda Grawn talk (Part 1)
- Exclusive: 'Survivor: Worlds Apart' eliminee So Kim talks (Part 1)
- 'The Amazing Race' ousts dating couple Jeff Magee and Lyda Grawn in debut episode
- Kylie Jenner buys $2.7 million mansion at age 17
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart' White Collar "Masaya" Tribe votes off So Kim in premiere
- 'American Idol's Top 12 guys perform for votes and some rise above the pack
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart' host Jeff Probst: The cast is the best yet, the three tribes live up to stereotypes
- 'The Amazing Race' host Phil Keoghan on new season: The format hasn't changed, it's not a dating show!
- 'The Bachelor' eliminees Britt Nilsson and Kaitlyn Bristowe weigh-in on which girl should win Chris Soules' heart
- Bobbi Kristina Brown taken out of a coma in the hope of change, says family source
- Kaitlyn Bristowe: 'The Bachelor' star Chris Soules wasn't courteous enough to dump me in a legit conversation
- Giuliana Rancic publicly apologizes to Zendaya Coleman for Oscar dreadlocks joke on 'Fashion Police'
- 'The Bachelor' star Chris Soules: "I'm still in love" with the woman I picked!
- Demi Lovato rushed to hospital with health scare, doing much better now
- 'America's Next Top Model: Guys & Girls 2' contestant Mirjana Puhar killed in triple homicide
- 'The Voice' coaches all fight for once-rejected artist Deanna Johnson in Blind Auditions
- Kelly Clarkson: I no longer rely on my career for my self-worth, my world has changed
- Tyga: It's all love there with Kylie Jenner and it doesn't matter what the world thinks
- 'The Bachelor' host on 'Women Tell All:' Kaitlyn Bristowe is mad, one girl still really loves Chris Soules