The Next Great Champ
Fox has KO'd its own The Next Great Champ reality boxing series, announcing that despite its previous announcement, the low rated series will not be returning to the airwaves after a short two-week hiatus. Instead, the network has cancelled all future broadcasts of the series, with the remaining six episodes of the ten episode series now scheduled for broadcast on the media conglomerate's Fox Sports Net network of regional cable sports channels. Full Story
Oscar de la Hoya found himself helpless against a bigger and stronger opponent in the ring this weekend. After three weeks, his Fox reality series The Next Great Champ is finding itself in similar straits in the ratings wars.
Fox might have won its battle with Mark Burnett and gotten its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series on the air well before NBC's The Contender, but if the ratings for Tuesday's premiere episode are any indication, it doesn't look like it emerged from the fight with much of a prize.
It looks like Fox's copycat reality-competition boxing series The Next Great Champ will end up with as much battling in the courtroom as in the ring.
In a battle between competing reality shows, California courts have once again confirmed that commercial speech is protected by the First Amendment.
The "Great Reality TV Show Controversy of 2004" masterminded by Fox is finally headed to court ... despite a late date change by Fox that looked like an effort to circumvent the court fight (although Fox denies any intent to do so).
Officially confirming reports that have circulated for several weeks, Fox has announced that its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series will premiere on Friday, September 10 at 9PM ET/PT.
Daily Variety reports that Fox and Endemol USA quietly wrapped production on their copycat boxing-reality show, The Next Great Champ, over the weekend of July 24-25. To keep the audience at the championship bout from being able to "spoil" the identity of the show's ultimate winner, Endemol filmed several different "title fights" without telling the audience which one was the real wrap-up.
The slugfest continues.
As part of Fox's counter-offensive last week against the widespread charges of reality-TV idea theft directed at it, boxing world champion Oscar de la Hoya defended his show, The Next Great Champ, against claims that it blatantly ripped off NBC's The Contender. However, the Golden Boy's new tale is vastly different from his previous story -- so different, in fact, that any claims that de la Hoya might have to the virtues of honor and integrity may have suffered a technical knockout.
Give Fox credit -- it isn't bashful about trying to steal Mark Burnett's idea.
Not content to let NBC and producer Mark Burnett claim the reality boxing show sub-genre without a fight, FOX has announced that it has teamed with six-time World Champion Oscar De La Hoya and reality television powerhouse Endemol USA to launch a reality boxing competition series of its own.
- Chris Soules accident: Whitney Bischoff, Andi Dorfman and Britt Nilsson react to "horrific, life-altering tragedy"
- 'Survivor: Game Changers' host Jeff Probst: I was wrong about Ozzy Lusth by several thousand miles
- Chris Soules called 911 and attended to victim before fleeing accident scene
- Kailyn Lowry of 'Teen Mom 2' posts new baby bump photo
- Erika Jayne responds to criticism of her Instagram nude photo: "Sending my love"
- Kim Zolciak thanks husband Kroy Biermann following son's hospitalization
- Brandi Glanville says Kim Richards friendship is "legit"
- Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott get close at NBA game
- Caitlyn Jenner: I would "seriously" look at running for public office
- Kelly Osbourne: I helped Yolanda Hadid with Lyme disease battle
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy clarifies home "intruder" was actually "civil dispute" with police and former owner
- Chris Soules deletes Instagram account after fatal accident and jail release
- 'Married at First Sight' couple Jamie Otis and husband Doug Hehner reveal sex of their baby
- Exclusive: Shamir Arzeno talks 'The Amazing Race' -- "The power of editing definitely augments reality"
- 'The Voice' eliminates Troy Ramey from Gwen Stefani's team after America saves Mark Isaiah
- Chris Soules released from jail on $10,000 bond after allegedly fleeing scene of fatal accident, victim identified
- Tarek El Moussa and Christina El Moussa's 'Flip or Flop' returning for extended seventh season on HGTV in December
- Jenna Dewan reveals details on her first night with Channing Tatum
- 'Dancing with the Stars' pro Maksim Chmerkovskiy calls Heather Morris exit "crazy" -- I'm pissed and it's so wrong!
- Heather Morris and Maksim Chmerkovskiy's "flabbergasted" elimination: 'Dancing with the Stars' cast reacts
- Kim Zolciak's 4-year-old son Kash headed home early following dog attack
- 'The Voice' recap: Top 12 artists perform live, Shania Twain serves as coach, Chris Blue & Brennley Brown steal the show
- 'The Bachelor's Chris Soules arrested for allegedly leaving scene of fatal car crash with tractor
- 'Dancing with the Stars' shocker: Heather Morris and pro Maksim Chmerkovskiy ousted after perfect score