The Next Great Champ
Fox has KO'd its own The Next Great Champ reality boxing series, announcing that despite its previous announcement, the low rated series will not be returning to the airwaves after a short two-week hiatus. Instead, the network has cancelled all future broadcasts of the series, with the remaining six episodes of the ten episode series now scheduled for broadcast on the media conglomerate's Fox Sports Net network of regional cable sports channels. Full Story
Oscar de la Hoya found himself helpless against a bigger and stronger opponent in the ring this weekend. After three weeks, his Fox reality series The Next Great Champ is finding itself in similar straits in the ratings wars.
Fox might have won its battle with Mark Burnett and gotten its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series on the air well before NBC's The Contender, but if the ratings for Tuesday's premiere episode are any indication, it doesn't look like it emerged from the fight with much of a prize.
It looks like Fox's copycat reality-competition boxing series The Next Great Champ will end up with as much battling in the courtroom as in the ring.
In a battle between competing reality shows, California courts have once again confirmed that commercial speech is protected by the First Amendment.
The "Great Reality TV Show Controversy of 2004" masterminded by Fox is finally headed to court ... despite a late date change by Fox that looked like an effort to circumvent the court fight (although Fox denies any intent to do so).
Officially confirming reports that have circulated for several weeks, Fox has announced that its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series will premiere on Friday, September 10 at 9PM ET/PT.
Daily Variety reports that Fox and Endemol USA quietly wrapped production on their copycat boxing-reality show, The Next Great Champ, over the weekend of July 24-25. To keep the audience at the championship bout from being able to "spoil" the identity of the show's ultimate winner, Endemol filmed several different "title fights" without telling the audience which one was the real wrap-up.
The slugfest continues.
As part of Fox's counter-offensive last week against the widespread charges of reality-TV idea theft directed at it, boxing world champion Oscar de la Hoya defended his show, The Next Great Champ, against claims that it blatantly ripped off NBC's The Contender. However, the Golden Boy's new tale is vastly different from his previous story -- so different, in fact, that any claims that de la Hoya might have to the virtues of honor and integrity may have suffered a technical knockout.
Give Fox credit -- it isn't bashful about trying to steal Mark Burnett's idea.
Not content to let NBC and producer Mark Burnett claim the reality boxing show sub-genre without a fight, FOX has announced that it has teamed with six-time World Champion Oscar De La Hoya and reality television powerhouse Endemol USA to launch a reality boxing competition series of its own.
- Derek Hough and Julianne Hough reportedly returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' fall season
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' spoilers -- Who gets engaged? Who splits? Which couple quits the show?
- 'Big Brother' evicts Victor Arroyo from the house (again!) and jury members compete to return
- Logo reveals gay bachelors of new 'Finding Prince Charming' reality dating series premiering September 8
- 'Dancing with the Stars' reportedly adds 'Little Women: L.A.' star Terra Jole to the cast
- Jon Gosselin responds to daughters Mady and Cara's public slams: It's shocking and I'm very upset
- Audrina Patridge introduces her daughter Kirra - "We are so beyond in love"
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy returning to Season 23 of 'Dancing with the Stars' as professional partner
- Jennifer Lopez and Casper Smart reportedly call it quits again
- 'America's Got Talent' results: Final group of seven semifinalist acts revealed, includes Grace VanderWaal
- Simone Biles: I can't go 'Dancing with the Stars' this season, but hope I can do the spring edition
- Ryan Lochte reportedly going 'Dancing with the Stars' after fabricated Olympics robbery scandal
- 'Teen Mom 2' star Jenelle Evans announces she's pregnant with third child
- 'Big Brother' recap: Paul Abrahamian wins Power of Veto, Corey Brooks named replacement nominee
- Jon Gosselin's twin girls Madelyn and Cara speak out: "He doesn't even know us. How can he dare to talk about us?"
- Kourtney Kardashian: Scott Disick reconciliation would require "so much work"
- Kate Gosselin: My 12-year-old son Collin has special needs - "I've felt very alone in this"
- Ashley Iaconetti: I stand by my Caila Quinn concerns on 'Bachelor in Paradise'
- Luann de Lesseps defends her fiance Tom D'Agostino Jr. against kiss photos: "It wasn't an affair, it was a mistake"
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' host Chris Harrison: Next week is the most explosive confrontation in history!
- Candace Cameron Bure confirms her daughter will appear on this fall's 'The Voice' auditions
- Paulie Calafiore: Natalie Negrotti is just using James Huling, said she wouldn't date him after 'Big Brother'
- 'Bachelor in Paradise's Josh Murray and Amanda Stanton announce they're living together, Amanda boasts she still hasn't read Andi Dorfman's book allegations
- 'The Celebrity Apprentice' plays up Arnold Schwarzenegger's 'Terminator' legacy in new promo