The Next Great Champ
Fox has KO'd its own The Next Great Champ reality boxing series, announcing that despite its previous announcement, the low rated series will not be returning to the airwaves after a short two-week hiatus. Instead, the network has cancelled all future broadcasts of the series, with the remaining six episodes of the ten episode series now scheduled for broadcast on the media conglomerate's Fox Sports Net network of regional cable sports channels. Full Story
Oscar de la Hoya found himself helpless against a bigger and stronger opponent in the ring this weekend. After three weeks, his Fox reality series The Next Great Champ is finding itself in similar straits in the ratings wars.
Fox might have won its battle with Mark Burnett and gotten its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series on the air well before NBC's The Contender, but if the ratings for Tuesday's premiere episode are any indication, it doesn't look like it emerged from the fight with much of a prize.
It looks like Fox's copycat reality-competition boxing series The Next Great Champ will end up with as much battling in the courtroom as in the ring.
In a battle between competing reality shows, California courts have once again confirmed that commercial speech is protected by the First Amendment.
The "Great Reality TV Show Controversy of 2004" masterminded by Fox is finally headed to court ... despite a late date change by Fox that looked like an effort to circumvent the court fight (although Fox denies any intent to do so).
Officially confirming reports that have circulated for several weeks, Fox has announced that its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series will premiere on Friday, September 10 at 9PM ET/PT.
Daily Variety reports that Fox and Endemol USA quietly wrapped production on their copycat boxing-reality show, The Next Great Champ, over the weekend of July 24-25. To keep the audience at the championship bout from being able to "spoil" the identity of the show's ultimate winner, Endemol filmed several different "title fights" without telling the audience which one was the real wrap-up.
The slugfest continues.
As part of Fox's counter-offensive last week against the widespread charges of reality-TV idea theft directed at it, boxing world champion Oscar de la Hoya defended his show, The Next Great Champ, against claims that it blatantly ripped off NBC's The Contender. However, the Golden Boy's new tale is vastly different from his previous story -- so different, in fact, that any claims that de la Hoya might have to the virtues of honor and integrity may have suffered a technical knockout.
Give Fox credit -- it isn't bashful about trying to steal Mark Burnett's idea.
Not content to let NBC and producer Mark Burnett claim the reality boxing show sub-genre without a fight, FOX has announced that it has teamed with six-time World Champion Oscar De La Hoya and reality television powerhouse Endemol USA to launch a reality boxing competition series of its own.
- Kim Kardashian: I gained 15 pounds, I'm not pregnant but Kanye West and I are trying and praying
- 'The Bachelor' star Chris Soules: Ashley Salter lied when she said she loved me, it was uncomfortable and not flattering
- Phillip Phillips wants out of "oppressive and fatally conflicted" contract with 'American Idol' production company
- 'The Bachelor' star Chris Soules: Kaitlyn Bristowe just showed a little tush, so relax people
- Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner: His story is his own to tell but he's happier than ever
- Kate Gosselin gets fired by Donald Trump on 'The Celebrity Apprentice'
- TLC to premiere new 'Our Little Family' little people reality series on February 17
- 'The Celebrity Apprentice' star Donald Trump fires 'Deadliest Catch' star Sig Hansen
- Kim Kardashian to star in 2015 Super Bowl commercial for T-Mobile mocking her selfie obsession
- 'The Bachelor' star Chris Soules sends four women packing, including Ashley Salter and Jillian Anderson
- Kristin Cavallari shares texts from Jay Cutler: "need u home asap"
- Kim Kardashian reveals magazine project with Cara Delevingne
- 'The Celebrity Apprentice' seventh-season live finale date announced
- 'The Bachelor' couple Sean Lowe and Catherine Giudici celebrate wedding anniversary via romantic getaway
- Kylie Jenner: I'm still studying for my high-school diploma
- 'Party Down South' to debut third season February 26 on CMT
- 'Food Fighters' gets picked up for a second season by NBC
- Jeana Keough reportedly coming back to 'The Real Housewives of Orange County'
- Cynthia Bailey ends friendship with 'The Real Housewives of Atlanta' co-star NeNe Leakes
- WE tv's new controversial 'Sex Box' to premiere February 27
- Kristin Cavallari writing 'Balancing on Heels' lifestyle book
- 'The Bachelorette' couple Desiree Hartsock and Chris Siegfried wedding details revealed
- Teresa Giudice reportedly had angry phone call from prison, fighting with husband Joe Giudice
- Scott Disick tells Kourtney Kardashian he's moving out, sources say, and she's so sick of him