The Next Great Champ
Fox has KO'd its own The Next Great Champ reality boxing series, announcing that despite its previous announcement, the low rated series will not be returning to the airwaves after a short two-week hiatus. Instead, the network has cancelled all future broadcasts of the series, with the remaining six episodes of the ten episode series now scheduled for broadcast on the media conglomerate's Fox Sports Net network of regional cable sports channels. Full Story
Oscar de la Hoya found himself helpless against a bigger and stronger opponent in the ring this weekend. After three weeks, his Fox reality series The Next Great Champ is finding itself in similar straits in the ratings wars.
Fox might have won its battle with Mark Burnett and gotten its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series on the air well before NBC's The Contender, but if the ratings for Tuesday's premiere episode are any indication, it doesn't look like it emerged from the fight with much of a prize.
It looks like Fox's copycat reality-competition boxing series The Next Great Champ will end up with as much battling in the courtroom as in the ring.
In a battle between competing reality shows, California courts have once again confirmed that commercial speech is protected by the First Amendment.
The "Great Reality TV Show Controversy of 2004" masterminded by Fox is finally headed to court ... despite a late date change by Fox that looked like an effort to circumvent the court fight (although Fox denies any intent to do so).
Officially confirming reports that have circulated for several weeks, Fox has announced that its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series will premiere on Friday, September 10 at 9PM ET/PT.
Daily Variety reports that Fox and Endemol USA quietly wrapped production on their copycat boxing-reality show, The Next Great Champ, over the weekend of July 24-25. To keep the audience at the championship bout from being able to "spoil" the identity of the show's ultimate winner, Endemol filmed several different "title fights" without telling the audience which one was the real wrap-up.
The slugfest continues.
As part of Fox's counter-offensive last week against the widespread charges of reality-TV idea theft directed at it, boxing world champion Oscar de la Hoya defended his show, The Next Great Champ, against claims that it blatantly ripped off NBC's The Contender. However, the Golden Boy's new tale is vastly different from his previous story -- so different, in fact, that any claims that de la Hoya might have to the virtues of honor and integrity may have suffered a technical knockout.
Give Fox credit -- it isn't bashful about trying to steal Mark Burnett's idea.
Not content to let NBC and producer Mark Burnett claim the reality boxing show sub-genre without a fight, FOX has announced that it has teamed with six-time World Champion Oscar De La Hoya and reality television powerhouse Endemol USA to launch a reality boxing competition series of its own.
- 'Dancing with the Stars' crowns Bindi Irwin and pro partner Derek Hough Season 21 champions
- Kim Kardashian: I'm willing to do anything for a natural childbirth, my baby is breech close to delivery
- 'Shahs of Sunset' couple Jessica Parido and Mike Shouhed divorcing after eight months
- June "Mama June" Shannon and Mike "Sugar Bear" Thompson admit to cheating scandal prior to 'Marriage Boot Camp' premiere
- Erin Andrews talks "comfy cozy" dates with boyfriend Jarret Stoll
- Chrissy Teigen denies 'FABLife' feud with Tyra Banks
- 'Dancing with the Stars' eliminates Carlos PenaVega and pro partner Witney Carson heading into finale
- British version of 'The Voice' "poached" from BBC by competing ITV network
- Kylie Jenner labels Instagram photo with boyfriend Tyga "Chaos"
- Kristin Cavallari welcomes third child, a daughter, with husband Jay Cutler
- Kim Kardashian requests diamond necklace as her push present
- 'The Voice' artists Madi Davis and Jeffery Austin show they could win the show with breakout performances
- Bindi Irwin honors late father on 'Dancing with the Stars' finale
- Stephanie March: I don't spend a lot of time feeling sorry about Bobby Flay divorce
- Carrie Underwood gushes about son Isaiah at AMAs
- Audrina Patridge gets engaged to boyfriend Corey Bohan
- Exclusive: 'The Amazing Race's Tanner Kloven and Josh Ahern talk (Part 1)
- 'The Voice' eliminee Mark Hood: The competition was so grueling but so worth it
- Carrie Underwood wins honor at 2015 American Music Awards
- Kylie Jenner and Tyga -- Is their relationship back on?
- 'America's Next Top Model's Final 4 shoot winner's ad campaign and magazine spread before final runway show
- 'The Amazing Race's Tanner Kloven and Josh Ahern get eliminated, Justin Scheman and Diana Bishop win sixth leg
- 'The Voice' eliminee Mark Hood interview: I didn't think I was going home
- Josh Duggar's wife Anna Duggar breaks silence on cheating scandal in TLC's 'Counting On' specials