The Next Great Champ
Fox has KO'd its own The Next Great Champ reality boxing series, announcing that despite its previous announcement, the low rated series will not be returning to the airwaves after a short two-week hiatus. Instead, the network has cancelled all future broadcasts of the series, with the remaining six episodes of the ten episode series now scheduled for broadcast on the media conglomerate's Fox Sports Net network of regional cable sports channels. Full Story
Oscar de la Hoya found himself helpless against a bigger and stronger opponent in the ring this weekend. After three weeks, his Fox reality series The Next Great Champ is finding itself in similar straits in the ratings wars.
Fox might have won its battle with Mark Burnett and gotten its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series on the air well before NBC's The Contender, but if the ratings for Tuesday's premiere episode are any indication, it doesn't look like it emerged from the fight with much of a prize.
It looks like Fox's copycat reality-competition boxing series The Next Great Champ will end up with as much battling in the courtroom as in the ring.
In a battle between competing reality shows, California courts have once again confirmed that commercial speech is protected by the First Amendment.
The "Great Reality TV Show Controversy of 2004" masterminded by Fox is finally headed to court ... despite a late date change by Fox that looked like an effort to circumvent the court fight (although Fox denies any intent to do so).
Officially confirming reports that have circulated for several weeks, Fox has announced that its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series will premiere on Friday, September 10 at 9PM ET/PT.
Daily Variety reports that Fox and Endemol USA quietly wrapped production on their copycat boxing-reality show, The Next Great Champ, over the weekend of July 24-25. To keep the audience at the championship bout from being able to "spoil" the identity of the show's ultimate winner, Endemol filmed several different "title fights" without telling the audience which one was the real wrap-up.
The slugfest continues.
As part of Fox's counter-offensive last week against the widespread charges of reality-TV idea theft directed at it, boxing world champion Oscar de la Hoya defended his show, The Next Great Champ, against claims that it blatantly ripped off NBC's The Contender. However, the Golden Boy's new tale is vastly different from his previous story -- so different, in fact, that any claims that de la Hoya might have to the virtues of honor and integrity may have suffered a technical knockout.
Give Fox credit -- it isn't bashful about trying to steal Mark Burnett's idea.
Not content to let NBC and producer Mark Burnett claim the reality boxing show sub-genre without a fight, FOX has announced that it has teamed with six-time World Champion Oscar De La Hoya and reality television powerhouse Endemol USA to launch a reality boxing competition series of its own.
- Joan Rivers' family to reportedly make decision on life support in next couple of days
- Joan Rivers still in serious condition, Melissa Rivers "so touched" by outpouring
- Kenya Moore denies dating 'The Real Housewives' co-star's ex-husband Kordell Stewart
- LeAnn Rimes under fire for joking about raping her boyfriend
- Cee Lo Green pleads no contest to charge of furnishing ecstasy to woman
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' bachelor Jesse Kovacs spills on whether or not he had a threesome
- Adam Levine: I want 100 kids with Behati Prinsloo, marriage makes me feel more manly
- Joan Rivers in a medically-induced coma, Melissa Rivers reportedly emotional wreck waiting for news
- Sean Lowe on Catherine Giudici: My wife is smokin' hot, I'm stuck in her web
- 'Dating Naked' couple Ashley Fonda and Alika Medeiros get married, to star in wedding special on VH1
- 'Big Brother' houseguests evict Donny Thompson, begin season's next HoH competition
- Kandi Burruss ready to get pregnant with husband Todd Tucker
- Chris Harrison dishes on why Chris Soules will make a great 'The Bachelor' star
- 'The Amazing Race' to introduce new "The Save" twist in Season 25
- Shakira confirms second pregnancy with boyfriend Gerard Pique
- 'Dancing with the Stars' cast to reportedly feature Janel Parrish, Betsey Johnson, Lea Thompson, Lolo Jones, Jonathan Bennett, Bethany Mota, and Antonio Sabato Jr.
- 'Big Brother's chopping block features Nicole Franzel (again) and Donny Thompson going into next live eviction
- 'America's Got Talent' reveals six of the Top 12 finalists, one "Wild Card" pick makes it through
- 'Duck Dynasty' star Sadie Robertson reportedly going 'Dancing with the Stars'
- 'Cops' crew member Bryce Dion shot and killed by police while filming robbery in Nebraska
- Joan Rivers in critical condition after stopping breathing in surgery
- 'Sons of Guns' star William Hayden arrested again and charged with raping his 12-year-old daughter
- Kendall Jenner makes first modeling appearance in American Vogue
- Bret Michaels raises money for Nebraska towns hit by tornadoes