The Next Great Champ
Fox has KO'd its own The Next Great Champ reality boxing series, announcing that despite its previous announcement, the low rated series will not be returning to the airwaves after a short two-week hiatus. Instead, the network has cancelled all future broadcasts of the series, with the remaining six episodes of the ten episode series now scheduled for broadcast on the media conglomerate's Fox Sports Net network of regional cable sports channels. Full Story
Oscar de la Hoya found himself helpless against a bigger and stronger opponent in the ring this weekend. After three weeks, his Fox reality series The Next Great Champ is finding itself in similar straits in the ratings wars.
Fox might have won its battle with Mark Burnett and gotten its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series on the air well before NBC's The Contender, but if the ratings for Tuesday's premiere episode are any indication, it doesn't look like it emerged from the fight with much of a prize.
It looks like Fox's copycat reality-competition boxing series The Next Great Champ will end up with as much battling in the courtroom as in the ring.
In a battle between competing reality shows, California courts have once again confirmed that commercial speech is protected by the First Amendment.
The "Great Reality TV Show Controversy of 2004" masterminded by Fox is finally headed to court ... despite a late date change by Fox that looked like an effort to circumvent the court fight (although Fox denies any intent to do so).
Officially confirming reports that have circulated for several weeks, Fox has announced that its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series will premiere on Friday, September 10 at 9PM ET/PT.
Daily Variety reports that Fox and Endemol USA quietly wrapped production on their copycat boxing-reality show, The Next Great Champ, over the weekend of July 24-25. To keep the audience at the championship bout from being able to "spoil" the identity of the show's ultimate winner, Endemol filmed several different "title fights" without telling the audience which one was the real wrap-up.
The slugfest continues.
As part of Fox's counter-offensive last week against the widespread charges of reality-TV idea theft directed at it, boxing world champion Oscar de la Hoya defended his show, The Next Great Champ, against claims that it blatantly ripped off NBC's The Contender. However, the Golden Boy's new tale is vastly different from his previous story -- so different, in fact, that any claims that de la Hoya might have to the virtues of honor and integrity may have suffered a technical knockout.
Give Fox credit -- it isn't bashful about trying to steal Mark Burnett's idea.
Not content to let NBC and producer Mark Burnett claim the reality boxing show sub-genre without a fight, FOX has announced that it has teamed with six-time World Champion Oscar De La Hoya and reality television powerhouse Endemol USA to launch a reality boxing competition series of its own.
- 'America's Got Talent' crowns Mat Franco ninth-season winner
- Kim Kardashian: Kanye West and I are "trying" for second baby
- Marcus Grodd reportedly cheated on Lacy Faddoul with another reality TV star
- 'Dating Naked' renewed for a second season by VH1
- Joan Rivers to be honored by daughter Melissa Rivers on 'Fashion Police'
- Lolo Jones: 'Dancing with the Stars' ouster crushed and frustrated me, I have one regret
- Joan Rivers' personal doctor reportedly took selfie during vocal cords procedure
- 'Utopia' pioneers welcome two new members and lose one to injury
- 'America's Got Talent' judges wowed by all Top 6 acts, can't predict who will win the ninth season
- 'Big Brother' houseguests evict Frankie Grande from the house and determines next HoH
- 'Dancing with the Stars' eliminates Lolo Jones and first-time pro partner Keoikantse "Keo" Motsepe
- Kris Jenner reportedly worried Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom will reconcile
- Heidi Montag reaches out to Lauren Conrad via social media
- Khloe Kardashian blames sister Kourtney Kardashian for her weight gain
- Tommy Chong to honor marijuana with green costumes on 'Dancing with the Stars'
- Kourtney Kardashian shows off her baby bump in crochet dress
- Kim Kardashian defends Kanye West criticism of yelling at disabled concertgoers
- Former 'The Bachelor' couple Sean Lowe and Catherine Giudici: Are they having kids soon?!
- 'Dancing with the Stars' pro Cheryl Burke: This will probably be my last season
- 'MasterChef' crowns Courtney Lapresi fifth-season champion
- 'America's Next Top Model' kicks Romeo Tostado out of the competition for physical assault
- 'Dancing with the Stars' couple Alfonso Ribeiro and pro partner Witney Carson top the leaderboard in premiere
- 'Dancing with the Stars' judge Julianne Hough: I'm going to be harder on my brother Derek Hough than anyone else
- Sarah Herron: I left 'Bachelor in Paradise' in shambles, I cried for days over Robert Graham and tried to fix things