The Next Great Champ
Fox has KO'd its own The Next Great Champ reality boxing series, announcing that despite its previous announcement, the low rated series will not be returning to the airwaves after a short two-week hiatus. Instead, the network has cancelled all future broadcasts of the series, with the remaining six episodes of the ten episode series now scheduled for broadcast on the media conglomerate's Fox Sports Net network of regional cable sports channels. Full Story
Oscar de la Hoya found himself helpless against a bigger and stronger opponent in the ring this weekend. After three weeks, his Fox reality series The Next Great Champ is finding itself in similar straits in the ratings wars.
Fox might have won its battle with Mark Burnett and gotten its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series on the air well before NBC's The Contender, but if the ratings for Tuesday's premiere episode are any indication, it doesn't look like it emerged from the fight with much of a prize.
It looks like Fox's copycat reality-competition boxing series The Next Great Champ will end up with as much battling in the courtroom as in the ring.
In a battle between competing reality shows, California courts have once again confirmed that commercial speech is protected by the First Amendment.
The "Great Reality TV Show Controversy of 2004" masterminded by Fox is finally headed to court ... despite a late date change by Fox that looked like an effort to circumvent the court fight (although Fox denies any intent to do so).
Officially confirming reports that have circulated for several weeks, Fox has announced that its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series will premiere on Friday, September 10 at 9PM ET/PT.
Daily Variety reports that Fox and Endemol USA quietly wrapped production on their copycat boxing-reality show, The Next Great Champ, over the weekend of July 24-25. To keep the audience at the championship bout from being able to "spoil" the identity of the show's ultimate winner, Endemol filmed several different "title fights" without telling the audience which one was the real wrap-up.
The slugfest continues.
As part of Fox's counter-offensive last week against the widespread charges of reality-TV idea theft directed at it, boxing world champion Oscar de la Hoya defended his show, The Next Great Champ, against claims that it blatantly ripped off NBC's The Contender. However, the Golden Boy's new tale is vastly different from his previous story -- so different, in fact, that any claims that de la Hoya might have to the virtues of honor and integrity may have suffered a technical knockout.
Give Fox credit -- it isn't bashful about trying to steal Mark Burnett's idea.
Not content to let NBC and producer Mark Burnett claim the reality boxing show sub-genre without a fight, FOX has announced that it has teamed with six-time World Champion Oscar De La Hoya and reality television powerhouse Endemol USA to launch a reality boxing competition series of its own.
- 'The Voice' crowns tenth-season champion
- 'The Real Housewives of New Jersey' Season 7 trailer with Teresa Giudice post-prison return released
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West return to Italy for second wedding anniversary
- JoJo Fletcher: I fell for more than one guy on 'The Bachelorette' and it was "very painful"
- Mariah Carey inks three-movie deal with the Hallmark Channel
- Paul McCartney praises Kanye West: "He's a crazy guy who comes up with great stuff"
- 'The Bachelorette' star JoJo Fletcher: Yeah, I knew Jordan Rodgers was going to be on the show ahead of time
- 'The Voice' recap: Top 4 artists sing in the finals, coaches deem Alisan Porter the next "Voice"
- 'The Bachelorette' host Chris Harrison: I really mean it when I say this is the most dramatic season in history
- Christina Aguilera to duet with Ariana Grande on 'The Voice' finale
- Michael Stagliano and wife Emily Stagliano expecting a baby boy
- Jordan Rodgers blasted by ex-girlfriend Brittany Farrar: We broke up because he cheated on me, not football -- he's full of BS and a fame-seeker
- 'The Bachelorette' couple Ashley Hebert and husband J.P. Rosenbaum expecting Baby No. 2!
- Blac Chyna shares sonogram of baby with Rob Kardashian and gushes "fairytales do come true"
- 'Dancing with the Stars' recap: Nyle DiMarco, Paige VanZant and Ginger Zee perform twice for final viewer votes
- 'The Bachelorette' recap: JoJo Fletcher sends six guys packing in Season 12 premiere
- 'Dancing with the Stars' judges cheer Nyle DiMarco's stunning "Sound of Silence" dance
- Ginger Zee overcomes injury and performs in 'Dancing with the Stars' finals
- 'The Bachelorette' star JoJo Fletcher: Now I can definitely see how it was possible for Ben Higgins to love two women at once
- Evan Bass is much more than just an erectile dysfunction specialist, teases 'The Bachelorette' host
- 'The Voice' eliminee Bryan Bautista: Not making last season's cut was the best thing that ever happened to me
- Exclusive: 'Survivor: Kaoh Rong' winner Michele Fitzgerald talks (Part 2)
- Anthony Bourdain and President Obama grab bite to eat at Hanoi eatery
- Grant Kemp: He's on 'The Bachelorette' for JoJo Fletcher after his last relationship went down in flames, says Chris Harrison