The Next Great Champ
Fox has KO'd its own The Next Great Champ reality boxing series, announcing that despite its previous announcement, the low rated series will not be returning to the airwaves after a short two-week hiatus. Instead, the network has cancelled all future broadcasts of the series, with the remaining six episodes of the ten episode series now scheduled for broadcast on the media conglomerate's Fox Sports Net network of regional cable sports channels. Full Story
Oscar de la Hoya found himself helpless against a bigger and stronger opponent in the ring this weekend. After three weeks, his Fox reality series The Next Great Champ is finding itself in similar straits in the ratings wars.
Fox might have won its battle with Mark Burnett and gotten its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series on the air well before NBC's The Contender, but if the ratings for Tuesday's premiere episode are any indication, it doesn't look like it emerged from the fight with much of a prize.
It looks like Fox's copycat reality-competition boxing series The Next Great Champ will end up with as much battling in the courtroom as in the ring.
In a battle between competing reality shows, California courts have once again confirmed that commercial speech is protected by the First Amendment.
The "Great Reality TV Show Controversy of 2004" masterminded by Fox is finally headed to court ... despite a late date change by Fox that looked like an effort to circumvent the court fight (although Fox denies any intent to do so).
Officially confirming reports that have circulated for several weeks, Fox has announced that its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series will premiere on Friday, September 10 at 9PM ET/PT.
Daily Variety reports that Fox and Endemol USA quietly wrapped production on their copycat boxing-reality show, The Next Great Champ, over the weekend of July 24-25. To keep the audience at the championship bout from being able to "spoil" the identity of the show's ultimate winner, Endemol filmed several different "title fights" without telling the audience which one was the real wrap-up.
The slugfest continues.
As part of Fox's counter-offensive last week against the widespread charges of reality-TV idea theft directed at it, boxing world champion Oscar de la Hoya defended his show, The Next Great Champ, against claims that it blatantly ripped off NBC's The Contender. However, the Golden Boy's new tale is vastly different from his previous story -- so different, in fact, that any claims that de la Hoya might have to the virtues of honor and integrity may have suffered a technical knockout.
Give Fox credit -- it isn't bashful about trying to steal Mark Burnett's idea.
Not content to let NBC and producer Mark Burnett claim the reality boxing show sub-genre without a fight, FOX has announced that it has teamed with six-time World Champion Oscar De La Hoya and reality television powerhouse Endemol USA to launch a reality boxing competition series of its own.
- Nick Viall reveals 'The Bachelorette' star Andi Dorfman had sex with him after she claims she never loved him
- 'The Bachelorette' star Andi Dorfman accepts proposal from Josh Murray and rejects Nick Viall, devastating him
- Brody Jenner accused of being turned on by stepsister Kim Kardashian, reveals Brandon Jenner kissed her once!
- Kendall Jenner spotted dining with NBA star Chandler Parsons
- Shakira and boyfriend Gerard Pique reportedly expecting second child
- Khloe Kardashian feels "guilty" about Rob Kardashian's problems
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy: I'm not interested in talking about Jennifer Lopez
- Kanye West reportedly micromanages wife Kim Kardashian's entire life, turned her into his personal mannequin
- 'The Bachelor' producers reportedly eyeing two men in addition to Chris Soules as the show's new star
- Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino reaches plea deal stemming from June arrest
- Adam Levine's wife Behati Prinsloo: I have a definite plan to have children
- 'The Bachelorette' source: Andi Dorfman and her final bachelor will "definitely get married soon"
- 'The Bachelorette' star Andi Dorfman's runner-up reportedly begged to reunite, hoping to change her mind and propose
- 'Big Brother' determines sole HoH and week's two initial eviction nominees after "Battle of the Block" competition
- 'Rising Star' advances four singers after live head-to-head duel performances
- Kristin Cavallari looking slim as ever two months after giving birth
- Brody Jenner explains his erection comment about Kim Kardashian
- 'The Bachelorette' star Andi Dorfman reportedly changes her mind last minute when picking her final bachelor
- Jennifer Lopez celebrates 45th birthday with Maksim Chmerkovskiy, reportedly "affectionate" with one another
- Khloe Kardashian: French Montana and I can't have sex so I torture him every day
- 'Big Brother' evicts Brittany Martinez and crowns two new Head of Households
- 'Last Comic Standing' sends home Karlous Miller, determines Top 5
- 'Hell's Kitchen' crowns Scott Commings twelfth-season champion
- 'America's Got Talent' determines Top 47 live shows acts