The Next Great Champ
Fox has KO'd its own The Next Great Champ reality boxing series, announcing that despite its previous announcement, the low rated series will not be returning to the airwaves after a short two-week hiatus. Instead, the network has cancelled all future broadcasts of the series, with the remaining six episodes of the ten episode series now scheduled for broadcast on the media conglomerate's Fox Sports Net network of regional cable sports channels. Full Story
Oscar de la Hoya found himself helpless against a bigger and stronger opponent in the ring this weekend. After three weeks, his Fox reality series The Next Great Champ is finding itself in similar straits in the ratings wars.
Fox might have won its battle with Mark Burnett and gotten its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series on the air well before NBC's The Contender, but if the ratings for Tuesday's premiere episode are any indication, it doesn't look like it emerged from the fight with much of a prize.
It looks like Fox's copycat reality-competition boxing series The Next Great Champ will end up with as much battling in the courtroom as in the ring.
In a battle between competing reality shows, California courts have once again confirmed that commercial speech is protected by the First Amendment.
The "Great Reality TV Show Controversy of 2004" masterminded by Fox is finally headed to court ... despite a late date change by Fox that looked like an effort to circumvent the court fight (although Fox denies any intent to do so).
Officially confirming reports that have circulated for several weeks, Fox has announced that its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series will premiere on Friday, September 10 at 9PM ET/PT.
Daily Variety reports that Fox and Endemol USA quietly wrapped production on their copycat boxing-reality show, The Next Great Champ, over the weekend of July 24-25. To keep the audience at the championship bout from being able to "spoil" the identity of the show's ultimate winner, Endemol filmed several different "title fights" without telling the audience which one was the real wrap-up.
The slugfest continues.
As part of Fox's counter-offensive last week against the widespread charges of reality-TV idea theft directed at it, boxing world champion Oscar de la Hoya defended his show, The Next Great Champ, against claims that it blatantly ripped off NBC's The Contender. However, the Golden Boy's new tale is vastly different from his previous story -- so different, in fact, that any claims that de la Hoya might have to the virtues of honor and integrity may have suffered a technical knockout.
Give Fox credit -- it isn't bashful about trying to steal Mark Burnett's idea.
Not content to let NBC and producer Mark Burnett claim the reality boxing show sub-genre without a fight, FOX has announced that it has teamed with six-time World Champion Oscar De La Hoya and reality television powerhouse Endemol USA to launch a reality boxing competition series of its own.
- Rob Kardashian's ex-girlfriend Adrienne Bailon "happy" he's dating Blac Chyna and wishes them well
- Kesha's mom and manager win legal dispute as Supreme Court judge throws out producer Dr. Luke's claims
- Dave Mirra, former host of MTV's 'Real World/Road Rules Challenge' dies of apparent suicide
- Former Bachelor Sean Lowe calls wife Catherine Giudici "soulless" in 'Marriage Boot Camp: Reality Stars' preview
- 'The Real Housewives of New Jersey' star Teresa Giudice taken off house arrest, closing "dark chapter" in her life
- 'Project Runway Junior' crowns Maya Ramirez its first winner ever
- 'American Idol' reveals the Top 24 contestants -- Who made the cut?
- 'American Idol's first winner Kelly Clarkson chooses show appearance over the Grammy Awards!
- 'The Voice' coach Blake Shelton vents frustration over ridiculous "lies" on Twitter
- Amanda Stanton's ex-husband Nick Buonfiglio dishes on failed marriage and warns 'The Bachelor' Ben Higgins
- Khloe Kardashian reunites with French Montana, doesn't believe in "f--king and ducking"
- 'The Bachelor' star Ben Higgins: "What happens next week really rocked me to the core"
- Miley Cyrus to serve as key adviser on 'The Voice's upcoming tenth season
- Jodie Sweetin reportedly going 'Dancing with the Stars'
- Catherine Giudici admits to Sean Lowe in 'Marriage Boot Camp: Reality Stars' preview: I hate how jealous I am of other women
- 'American Idol' judges determine Top 51 contestants after completion of Solo Round
- 'American Idol' judge Jennifer Lopez creates a buzz with makeup-free Instagram video Casper Smart shared
- Khloe Kardashian: Before DASH, I was spiraling out of control and Kourtney Kardashian gave me a reason to wake up
- Kristin Cavallari talks life after car crash and brother's death: "I've found so much strength in the kids"
- Gigi Hadid declared Zayn Malik's girlfriend as he confirms relationship status on radio show
- Olivia Caridi drama had my mind reeling, says 'The Bachelor' Ben Higgins, one of my biggest fears was being realized
- Amy Duggar: I never really felt up to the Duggar standard and I don't feel guilty for being me
- 'The Bachelor' Ben Higgins: Jubilee Sharpe was "passive-aggressive," her "snide comments" replaced communication
- 'Married at First Sight' betrayal? Ashley Doherty confronts husband David Norton about allegedly asking another girl out