The Next Great Champ
Fox has KO'd its own The Next Great Champ reality boxing series, announcing that despite its previous announcement, the low rated series will not be returning to the airwaves after a short two-week hiatus. Instead, the network has cancelled all future broadcasts of the series, with the remaining six episodes of the ten episode series now scheduled for broadcast on the media conglomerate's Fox Sports Net network of regional cable sports channels. Full Story
Oscar de la Hoya found himself helpless against a bigger and stronger opponent in the ring this weekend. After three weeks, his Fox reality series The Next Great Champ is finding itself in similar straits in the ratings wars.
Fox might have won its battle with Mark Burnett and gotten its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series on the air well before NBC's The Contender, but if the ratings for Tuesday's premiere episode are any indication, it doesn't look like it emerged from the fight with much of a prize.
It looks like Fox's copycat reality-competition boxing series The Next Great Champ will end up with as much battling in the courtroom as in the ring.
In a battle between competing reality shows, California courts have once again confirmed that commercial speech is protected by the First Amendment.
The "Great Reality TV Show Controversy of 2004" masterminded by Fox is finally headed to court ... despite a late date change by Fox that looked like an effort to circumvent the court fight (although Fox denies any intent to do so).
Officially confirming reports that have circulated for several weeks, Fox has announced that its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series will premiere on Friday, September 10 at 9PM ET/PT.
Daily Variety reports that Fox and Endemol USA quietly wrapped production on their copycat boxing-reality show, The Next Great Champ, over the weekend of July 24-25. To keep the audience at the championship bout from being able to "spoil" the identity of the show's ultimate winner, Endemol filmed several different "title fights" without telling the audience which one was the real wrap-up.
The slugfest continues.
As part of Fox's counter-offensive last week against the widespread charges of reality-TV idea theft directed at it, boxing world champion Oscar de la Hoya defended his show, The Next Great Champ, against claims that it blatantly ripped off NBC's The Contender. However, the Golden Boy's new tale is vastly different from his previous story -- so different, in fact, that any claims that de la Hoya might have to the virtues of honor and integrity may have suffered a technical knockout.
Give Fox credit -- it isn't bashful about trying to steal Mark Burnett's idea.
Not content to let NBC and producer Mark Burnett claim the reality boxing show sub-genre without a fight, FOX has announced that it has teamed with six-time World Champion Oscar De La Hoya and reality television powerhouse Endemol USA to launch a reality boxing competition series of its own.
- Malcolm Freberg talks 'Survivor': Nuku's plan was solid, J.T. Thomas had a brain fart of epic proportions
- Christina El Moussa reportedly dating NHL player Nate Thompson
- Lauren Bushnell gushes about fiance Ben Higgins' support in "rocky" times on his 29th birthday
- 'Dancing with the Stars' pro Emma Slater reveals Sasha Farber wedding on hold
- Nick Viall: William Shatner 'Dancing with the Stars' feud is "heartbreaking," I'm his biggest fan!
- Chrissy Teigen drinks with mom in clip for Smirnoff ad
- Cat Deeley to host new 'This Time Next Year' reality series on Lifetime
- 'Survivor' renewal for 2017-2018 season announced by CBS
- 'Flip or Flop' star Christina El Moussa shows off stunning bikini body, reveals fitness and diet secrets
- Mario Lopez to host CBS' new 'Candy Crush' primetime game show
- Exclusive: Malcolm Freberg talks the wild 'Survivor' Tribal Council and what J.T. Thomas was doing
- 'The Bachelorette' star Rachel Lindsay watches six bachelors strip on 'Ellen' group date
- Rob Kardashian: "I can't wait to hear what my baby's voice sounds like"
- Bonner Bolton and Sharna Burgess spotted flirting on possible date at country bar
- 'Fixer Upper' couple Chip Gaines and Joanna Gaines to star on new 'Behind the Design' HGTV spinoff
- 'Little People, Big World' star Tori Roloff posts photo of baby bump at 31 weeks
- Gene Simmons' daughter Sophie Simmons calls out Katey Sagal over affair with dad
- Nancy Kerrigan's 'Dancing with the Stars' debut draws "break a leg" tweet from Kristi Yamaguchi
- Rob Lowe and sons to star in new 'The Lowe Files' unexplained phenomena reality series for A&E
- Caitlyn Jenner to be interviewed by Diane Sawyer again for '20/20'
- 'Dancing with the Stars' pros and their significant others: Who's dating and married to whom?! (PHOTOS)
- 'Survivor: Game Changers' castaway Malcolm Freberg voted out after idol played at two-tribe Tribal Council twist
- 'Dancing with the Stars' host Tom Bergeron calls for truce in Nick Viall and William Shatner feud
- Dawson Coyle talks being stolen by Alicia Keys on 'The Voice': It was a crazy, awesome surprise!