The Next Great Champ
Fox has KO'd its own The Next Great Champ reality boxing series, announcing that despite its previous announcement, the low rated series will not be returning to the airwaves after a short two-week hiatus. Instead, the network has cancelled all future broadcasts of the series, with the remaining six episodes of the ten episode series now scheduled for broadcast on the media conglomerate's Fox Sports Net network of regional cable sports channels. Full Story
Oscar de la Hoya found himself helpless against a bigger and stronger opponent in the ring this weekend. After three weeks, his Fox reality series The Next Great Champ is finding itself in similar straits in the ratings wars.
Fox might have won its battle with Mark Burnett and gotten its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series on the air well before NBC's The Contender, but if the ratings for Tuesday's premiere episode are any indication, it doesn't look like it emerged from the fight with much of a prize.
It looks like Fox's copycat reality-competition boxing series The Next Great Champ will end up with as much battling in the courtroom as in the ring.
In a battle between competing reality shows, California courts have once again confirmed that commercial speech is protected by the First Amendment.
The "Great Reality TV Show Controversy of 2004" masterminded by Fox is finally headed to court ... despite a late date change by Fox that looked like an effort to circumvent the court fight (although Fox denies any intent to do so).
Officially confirming reports that have circulated for several weeks, Fox has announced that its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series will premiere on Friday, September 10 at 9PM ET/PT.
Daily Variety reports that Fox and Endemol USA quietly wrapped production on their copycat boxing-reality show, The Next Great Champ, over the weekend of July 24-25. To keep the audience at the championship bout from being able to "spoil" the identity of the show's ultimate winner, Endemol filmed several different "title fights" without telling the audience which one was the real wrap-up.
The slugfest continues.
As part of Fox's counter-offensive last week against the widespread charges of reality-TV idea theft directed at it, boxing world champion Oscar de la Hoya defended his show, The Next Great Champ, against claims that it blatantly ripped off NBC's The Contender. However, the Golden Boy's new tale is vastly different from his previous story -- so different, in fact, that any claims that de la Hoya might have to the virtues of honor and integrity may have suffered a technical knockout.
Give Fox credit -- it isn't bashful about trying to steal Mark Burnett's idea.
Not content to let NBC and producer Mark Burnett claim the reality boxing show sub-genre without a fight, FOX has announced that it has teamed with six-time World Champion Oscar De La Hoya and reality television powerhouse Endemol USA to launch a reality boxing competition series of its own.
- 'Martha & Snoop's Potluck Dinner Party' premiere date announced by VH1
- Jessa Duggar compares baby bumps in new photo
- Exclusive: 'Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X' castoff Ciandre "CeCe" Taylor talks (Part 2)
- 'Married at First Sight' renewed for Season 5 by FYI, filming already underway in Chicago
- Sunday Burquest -- 8 things to know about the 'Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X' castaway
- Tamra Judge defends husband Eddie Judge: He's not gay! Why is it that a hot guy can't be straight?
- 'Flipping Out' star Jeff Lewis welcomes a baby girl with Gage Edward
- 'Married at First Sight's Season 4 finale recap: Did the couples decide to stay together or get a divorce?
- Will Wahl -- 8 things to know about the 'Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X' castaway
- Chad Johnson and Lace Morris have heated confrontation on 'Ben & Lauren: Happily Ever After'
- Gigi Hadid and Stuart Weitzman team up to create "hiker-inspired, high-heel combat bootie"
- 'The Voice' advances 'Knockout' winners Billy Gilman, Courtney Harrell, Christian Cuevas and stolen artist Belle Jewel Lyon
- Amber Portwood responds to critics after plastic surgery
- Maureen McCormick: I faced one of my biggest fears on 'Dancing with the Stars,' thought I'd be lucky to survive a week
- 'The Real Housewives of Orange County' star Meghan King Edmonds celebrates at "fairy tale" baby shower
- Gleb Savchenko on 'Dancing with the Stars' tiff with Len Goodman: He should spend more time with us rather than in England
- Belle Jewel Lyon: My 'The Voice' coach Alicia Keys inspires me to be the loudest version of myself
- Kourtney Kardashian celebrates early Halloween with friends and daughter Penelope Disick
- Val Chmerkovskiy plays coy about Amber Rose romance rumors
- Kendall Jenner's stalker Shavaughn McKenzie found guilty of trespassing but escapes stalking charge
- Ben Higgins: The edit of 'Ben & Lauren: Happily Ever After?' is not always fair or accurate
- 'The Voice' recap: Eight artists advance from the "Knockouts," including Ali Caldwell, Sundance Head and We McDonald
- 'Dancing with the Stars' eliminates Maureen McCormick and pro partner Artem Chigvintsev in "Eras Night"
- Whitney Sim and Shannon Sim: 'The Voice' battle was a struggle, we couldn't sound like back-up vocalists for Gabriel Violett