CBS reveals the identities of its upcoming 'Rock Star: INXS' contestants
By Reality TV World staff, 05/31/2005
CBS has announced the identities of the fifteen performers who will compete on its upcoming Rock Star: INXS reality series.
Premiering Monday, July 11 at 9PM ET/PT and created by Survivor and The Apprentice producer Mark Burnett, Rock Star will feature a worldwide search to find a new lead singer for Australian rock band INXS. Earlier last week, CBS announced that E! Entertainment personality Brooke Burke and rock guitarist Dave Navarro will act as co-hosts for the series.
As part of a Summer 2005 reality show lineup that will see CBS broadcast six hours of reality programming a week, Rock Star will air regularly three times a week, with the network sandwiching Monday/Wednesday half-hour episodes around its hour-long Tuesday broadcasts.
Rock Star will feature a performance and elimination format similar to Fox's American Idol, however like all Burnett reality shows, Rock Star will also focus on the contestants' behind-the-scenes interpersonal relationships as well as their weekly onstage performances. Unlike Idol, Rock Star will not rely entirely on viewer voting to determine its weekly eliminations, opting instead to determine its contestant eliminations via a combination of viewer participation, the show's as-of-yet undisclosed judges, and INXS' current members.
The last singer standing will become INXS' new lead singer, embarking on a world concert tour with the band and also becoming part of the group's new album. Additionally, unlike the global Idol format, Rock Star's competition also isn't limited to residents of any one particular country, with the show's early 2005 casting call tour having conducted auditions in twenty cities spread over six continents.
While Rock Star: INXS will debut with a special hour-long broadcast on Monday, July 11 in the more highly-viewed 9PM ET/PT time period and, like Big Brother, also air thrice-weekly, the heart of the show will be its regularly-scheduled hour-long performance episodes that will air Tuesdays at 10PM ET/PT.
In addition to its hour-long Tuesday broadcasts, Rock Star will air half-hour episodes on Wednesdays at 9:30PM ET/PT beginning July 13 and Mondays at 9:30PM ET/PT beginning July 18.
While the format of the show's initial episodes is unclear, according to CBS, each Monday broadcast will feature taped Big Brother-like segments focusing on the contestants activities in the Hollywood Hills house in which they will reside, with the Wednesday broadcasts featuring the results of the Tuesday night performance broadcasts.
The fifteen performers competing on Rock Star: INXS are:
• Mig Ayesa, a married 35-year-old musician/actor who was born in Manila, raised in Sydney, Australia, and currently resides in London, England.
• Brandon Calhoon, a single 31-year-old musician/recruiter from Beaverton, Michigan who just relocated to Hermosa Beach, California.
• Neal Carlson, a married 29-year-old musician/administrative assistant from Queens, New York.
• Marty Casey, a single 31-year-old musician/real estate appraiser from Chicago, Illinois.
• Daphna Dove, a single 29-year-old musician/legal secretary who was born in Germany, raised in New York City, and currently resides in Los Angeles, California.
• J.D. Fortune, a single 31-year-old musician from Nova Scotia who currently resides in Oakville, Ontario.
• Deanna Johnston, a married 36-year-old musician from Kingston, Ontario who currently resides in Reseda, California.
• Suzie McNeil, a single 28-year-old musician from Toronto, Ontario.
• Dana Robbins, a single 30-year-old musician/dancer/yoga instructor/bartender from Las Vegas who currently resides in Studio City, California.
• Jessica Robinson, an engaged 25-year-old musician/barista from Chicago, Illinois.
• Heather Luttrell, a single 27-year-old musician/painter from Atlanta, Georgia.
• Wil Seabrook, an engaged 28-year-old musician from North Carolina who currently resides in Pasadena, California.
• Tara Slone, a single 31-year-old musician/actress from Toronto, Ontario
• Ty Taylor, a single 36-year-old musician/actor from Montclair, New Jersey who currently resides in Las Vegas, Nevada.
• Jordis Unga, a single 22-year-old musician/bartender from St. Paul, Minnesota.
Rock Star: INXS is produced by Mark Burnett Productions. Mark Burnett, David Goffin, (American Idol) Lisa Hennessy (Eco-Challenge) and INXS managers David Edwards and Michael Murchison are executive producers. Conrad Riggs is co-executive producer.