Fox orders more 'Hell's Kitchen,' 'Nightmares,' third Gordon Ramsay series
By Christopher Rocchio, 09/12/2008
Fox announced it has inked a new deal with Gordon Ramsay that will keep the foul-mouthed British chef at the network for "several more years."
The agreement includes two more editions of Hell's Kitchen, another season of Kitchen Nightmares, a "yet-to-be determined special" and "another series."
"Gordon has done an amazing job of creating exciting franchises for Fox," said the network's reality programming executive Mike Darnell. "From the first time I met him, it was clear that he would be a big star in America. He has become one of the 'faces of Fox,' and we're thrilled that he will be on our network for years to come."
The two new Hell's Kitchen installments mentioned in the Ramsay deal announcement "do not include" the show's fifth season which was filmed back-to-back with the show's fourth season early this year, according to a Fox publicist. Instead, they represent the sixth and seventh editions of the show.
The publicist also told Reality TV World that there were no "specific details" available about the special and third series that were included in the agreement announcement, however Ramsay and Darnell apparently never got that memo.
According to Ramsay, the new Fox series will be based on a show he's currently filming for Britain's Channel 4 called Man Camp. Ramsay will serve as host for the series, which follows male contestants in a boot camp setting as they compete in a series of physical and mental challenges.
"[It's a camp for men whose] ladies are slightly concerned about how feminine they're becoming," Ramsay toldDaily Variety in a report published Thursday.
In addition, the "yet-to-be determined special" included in the agreement announcement will also be based on a live cooking show that aired in the U.K. last January and encouraged to cook along with Ramsay from their homes, Variety reported.
"This will not be for the blue-rinse brigade, or the Martha Stewart crowd," Ramsay told Variety about the special. "This is cooking for the young, the vibrant and the tenacious."
Darnell added the special will be promoted as a "big event" that will include "recipes for the dishes promoted in advance so viewers can have the ingredients ready to go," Variety reported.
The special is currently slated to air in the winter or spring, Darnell told Variety.
Kitchen Nightmares' renewal in the agreement announcement represents the show's third season. Its second installment premiered on Fox earlier this week and will air in the Thursdays at 9PM ET/PT timeslot this fall.
FOLLOW REALITY TV WORLD ON THE ALL-NEW GOOGLE NEWS!
Reality TV World is now available on the all-new Google News app and website. Click here to visit our Google News page, and then click FOLLOW to add us as a news source!
"They let me be me -- thatâ€™s the key to our success," Ramsay told Variety about Kitchen Nightmares. "And we properly understand each other: Fox wants to run a show, and I want to run a restaurant. I want to search for chefs. I try hard to keep it real, and I'm someone who takes all this very, very seriously."