The CW reveals 'Beauty and the Geek' fifth-season cast and twist
By Christopher Rocchio, 02/20/2008
The CW apparently thinks Beauty and the Geek viewers have forgotten what high school was like.
The CW has revealed the identities of the nine brainy boys and nine lovely ladies competing on Beauty and the Geek's fifth season -- however unlike previous seasons, this season's "social experiment" will begin with the two cliques competing against other, not paired into the show's usual opposite-extreme couples.
Given the show's title remains Beauty and the Geek, the "beauties vs. geeks" twist presumably isn't permanent, however The CW isn't saying. "[Viewers will] have to watch and find out," a network spokesperson told Reality TV World. The network also had no immediate explanation for how a season-long re-creation of a division easily seen at schools across America would fit with the show's oft-mentioned "social experiment" maxim.
As a result of the twist, Beauty and the Geek's fifth season won't begin with the contestants being eliminated in pairs. Instead, the team that loses a "beauties vs. geeks" elimination competition will have to select five members to participate in a revamped elimination quiz and whichever participant fares the worst will be eliminated. Like the show's earlier seasons, the cast will be competing for a $250,000 grand prize.
Despite the adversarial twist, Beauty and the Geek's fifth season will still feature challenges designed to test each group's intellectual and social skills and will include the geeks appearing on Dr. Drew Pinsky's syndicated Loveline radio show and the beauties learning to clean clogged pipes. In addition, the beauties will also join the geeks for a cameo on CBS' The Young and the Restless soap opera.
Beauty and the Geek's first three installments paired each of its male "geek" contestants with a female "beauty" contestant, and the couples competed as teams throughout the season. Beauty and the Geek's Fall 2007 fourth-installment largely followed the same format but also included a hunky guy paired with a nerdy girl.
Beauty and the Geek's fifth season, which will once again be hosted by Mike Richards, will premiere on Tuesday, March 11 at 8PM ET/PT.
The nine "geeks" are:
- Chris, a 23-year-old MIT oceanography student from Cambridge, MA
- Greg, a gay 23-year-old clothing designer/pastry chef from Azusa, CA
- Jonathan, a 26-year-old system administrator/technical consultant from Colfax, CA
- Jim, a 21-year-old computer programmer/student from Bedford, MA
- Joe, a 24-year-old TV assignment editor from Nipomo, CA
- John E., a 25-year-old CW-billed "recovering Microsoft addict" from Tempe, AZ
- Jason, a 23-year-old Internet marketer from Brooklyn, NY
- Matt, a 21-year-old student/writer from Little Elm, TX who currently resides in Dallas, TX
- Tommy, a 24-year-old law student from Somerville, MA
The nine "beauties" are:
- Amanda, a 23-year-old model from West Warwick, RI who currently resides in Queen Creek, AZ
- Amber, a 25-year-old model from Houston, TX who currently resides in Los Angeles, CA
- Cara, a 21-year-old cocktail waitress and aspiring soap star from Leawood, KS who currently resides in Temecula, CA
- Jillian, a 22-year-old model from Northfield, NH who currently resides in Miami, FL
- Kristina, a 21-year-old student from Wheaton, IL
- Leticia, a 29-year-old action-sports announcer from Cave City, KY who currently resides in Orlando, FL
- Randi, a 26-year-old stylist from Missouri City, TX who currently resides in Houston
- Tara, a 24-year-old model and Hooters hostess from Davie, FL
- Tiffany, a 21-year-old student from Mclean, VA who currently resides in Nashville, TN