Bravo announces cast of 'Shear Genius,' series to premiere April 11
By Christopher Rocchio, 03/15/2007
Bravo has announced the cast and premiere of Shear Genius, a new Project Runway and Top Chef-like reality competition series that will pit hairstylists against one another to see who can create the most fashionable coiffure.
The eight-episode series -- which began production in mid-January and was originally announced under the title Top Hair -- is scheduled to premiere on Wednesday, April 11 at 11PM ET/PT immediately following the season finale of Top Design. Starting April 18, Shear Design will begin regularly airing in the Wednesdays at 10PM ET/PT time period previously occupied by Top Design.
In each one-hour episode of Shear Design the stylists will face two challenges: the short cut challenge, which will test their technical hairstyling skills, and the elimination challenge, which will test their creativity and advanced skills. Challenges are also designed to test the stylists' ability to service clients, manage a staff and work as part of a team.
Shear Genius' judges are Sally Hershberger, a sought-after and acclaimed hairstylist who owns the New York salon Sally Hershberger Downtown; Michael Carl, fashion director of Allure magazine; as well as a series of guest judges. Accomplished stylist Rene Fris will serve a salon manager for the cast, and Shear Genius will be hosted by former Charlie's Angels television star Jaclyn Smith.
The 12 cast members featured on Shear Genius will be competing for the grand prize of $100,000 in seed money from Nexxus and the opportunity to style hair for an Allure feature.
The following is the 12 stylists featured on Shear Genius, as well as their age, hometown and salon where they are currently employed.
- Anthony, a 40-year-old from Hertfordshire, England who works at Londoner Salon and Day Spa in Manhattan Beach, CA
- Ben, a 32-year-old from Chicago, IL who works as a Chicago-based freelance stylist with personal clientele
- Daisy, a 31-year-old from Hialeah, FL who works at Om Beauty Co., an AVEDA concept salon in Miami, FL
- Danna, a 37-year-old from South Africa who works ate Allen Edwards Salon in Brentwood, CA
- Dr. Boogie, a 33-year-old from Oakland, CA who works at The Hair Studio Salon in North Hollywood, CA
- Evangelin, a 32-year-old from Reisterstown, MD who works are Renaissance Salon and Spa in Cockeysville, MD
- Jim, a 49-year-old from Buffalo, NY who works as a New York-based freelance stylist with personal clientele
FOLLOW REALITY TV WORLD ON THE ALL-NEW GOOGLE NEWS!
Reality TV World is now available on the all-new Google News app and website. Click here to visit our Google News page, and then click FOLLOW to add us as a news source!
- Lacey, a 22-year-old from York, PA who works at Vidal Sassoon Salon in Miami, FL
- Paul-Jean, a 29-year-old from Nice, France who works at Paul-Jean in West Hollywood, CA
- Tabatha, a 39-year-old from SurfersParadise, Australia who works at Industrie Hair Gurus in Ridgewood, NJ
- Theodore, a 22-year-old from Canton, OH who works at Theodore Leaf in Los Angeles, CA
- Tyson, a 31-year-old from Salt Lake City, UT who works at Fauntelle in Salt Lake City, UT
Shear Genius is produced for Bravo by Reveille. Ben Silverman and Mark Koops are executive producers of the series. Holly Wofford is co-executive producer.