Report: Paula Abdul stuns ABC, rejects 'Star Search' revival offer
By Christopher Rocchio, 03/18/2010
Paula Abdul has apparently stunned ABC by declining its reported offer for her to serve as a host and judge on an upcoming Star Search revival.
ABC is not moving forward with Abdul "at this time" but added that "doesn't necessarily mean" that the Star Search revival won't happen, a network source toldThe Daily Beast in a Thursday report.
In addition, people familiar with the situation told The Daily Beast that ABC had made a "rich offer" to Abdul and her decision to reject it shocked network executives.
Abdul indirectly responded to reports that she was finalizing a deal with ABC in a Tuesday post to her Twitter account.
"Once again, until you hear it from me, you can't believe what you read," she posted.
While it remains unclear why Abdul rejected ABC's offer, it could have something to do with a desire to once again work with her former American Idol colleague Simon Cowell.
Earlier this year, Cowell inked a deal with Fox that will end his American Idol judging role while also launching his British The X Factor reality competition series for the network in Fall 2011.
Cowell has played coy when asked about Abdul's possible involvement with The X Factor and also disputed a previous The Daily Beastreport that Fox, frustrated by her erratic behavior, wouldn't want to have Abdul back on his new reality competition.
"I have no idea where this speculation comes from," said Cowell in a Tuesday email to The Daily Beast. "As far as I am concerned, Fox always valued her as a star and my relationship with Paula is as strong as ever."
Both Abdul and ABC could not be reached for comment when contacted by The Daily Beast.