'Project Runway' Season 16 designers announced, models to range from size 0 to size 22
By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 07/13/2017
Project Runway has revealed the identities of its Season 16 cast as well as a new twist that celebrates body diversity.
Lifetime has announced the 16 designers who will be competing on the sixteenth-season of Project Runway and disclosed that, for the first time ever, the show will feature size-inclusive models on the catwalk.
"As a true reflection of all women across the country, models range from 0 to 22, and this season's designers must show off their skills and ability to make stunning creations, for any size," the network revealed.
The 16 designers will participate in a series of challenges to create and execute ensembles fit for the fashion runway. They will attempt to win the approval of a panel of fashion experts when Project Runway returns Thursday, August 17 at 8PM ET/PT.
Heidi Klum will continue to serve as host and Tim Gunn as mentor on the new season. Marie Claire's creative director Nina Garcia and designer Zac Posen will also return as judges.
The remaining guest judges will be former Dance Moms star and So You Think You Can Dance judge Maddie Ziegler, actor Asia Kate Dillon, Sylvester Stallone's daughter Sophia Stallone, fashion designer Georgina Chapman, actress Rachel Brosnahan, and Marie Claire's editor-in-chief Anne Fulenwider.
The winner of Project Runway's upcoming edition will receive $100,000 to launch his or her own clothing line as well as the opportunity to collaborate with JCPenney on a limited edition capsule collection as part of the Project Runway line sold at select JCPenney stores and online at the company's website.
In addition, the winner will receive a selection of Brother sewing and embroidery machines, with a retail value of $40,000; a lifetime supply of pens from the Pilot FriXion Erasable Pen; an all-expense paid luxury trip to Japan, including a 5-star stay near Japan's fashion center; and the new 2018 Lexus NX, coming this fall.
Project Runway's winning sixteenth-season designer -- and model -- will also receive a fashion spread in Marie Claire magazine.
Below is the list of designers who will be competing on Project Runway this summer:
- Aaron Myers, a 23-year-old from Brooklyn, NY
- Amy Bond, a 46-year-old from Los Angeles, CA
- Ayana Ife, a 27-year-old from Salt Lake City, UT
- Batani-Khalfani, a 32-year-old from Inglewood, CA
- Brandon Kee, a 24-year-old from San Francisco, CA
- Claire Buitendorp, a 27-year-old from Grand Ledge, MI
- Deyonte Weather, a 36-year-old from Lynwood, WA
- Kentaro Kameyama, a 38-year-old from Los Angeles, CA
- Kenya Freeman, a 37-year-old from Atlanta, GA
- Kudzanai Karidza, a 32-year-old from Atlanta, GA
- Margarita Alvarez, a 30-year-old from San Juan, PR
- Michael Brambila, a 25-year-old from Oakland, CA
- Samantha Rei, a 36-year-old from Minneapolis, MN
- Sentell McDonald, a 33-year-old from New York, NY
- Shawn Buitendorp, a 27-year-old from Grand Ledge, MI