Jeff Varner -- 5 things to know about the 'Survivor: Game Changers' castaway
By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 03/08/2017
Jeff Varner is one of the returning castaways to get another chance at winning $1 million on Survivor: Game Changers this spring.
Jeff, a 50-year-old from High Point, NC, will be appearing on Survivor for the third time.
This all-stars season, the franchise's 34th edition, will premiere with a special two-hour episode on Wednesday, March 8 at 8PM ET/PT on CBS. The show's debut marks Survivor's milestone 500th episode.
Survivor: Game Changers, filmed in the Mamanuca Islands in Fiji in June and July 2016, will feature 20 castaways who are being billed as having made some of the biggest moves in the history of the game divided into two tribes, Mana and Nuku, that are each comprised of 10 veteran players.
Below is a list of five facts Reality TV World has compiled about Jeff Varner:
- The castaway, who was raised on a tobacco farm in North Carolina, played competitive hockey for 16 years and also studied martial arts.
- Jeff previously played on Season 2, Survivor: The Australian Outback, in 2001 when he was 34-years-old.
Jeff was the sixth castaway voted out on Day 21, finishing in tenth place. He was ousted from the game just shy of making the jury after he stepped down from an Individual Immunity Challenge to eat peanut butter, chocolate and apples.
- Jeff decided to compete on Season 31, Survivor Cambodia: Second Chance, 15 years later. He was the fourth castaway voted out of the game on Night 11 via a 4-1 vote, so he placed 17th overall.
- He told Reality TV World in a post-Second Chance interview that on some level, he played a Blood vs. Water game because he stayed loyal to the "old school" players Terry Deitz and Kelly Wiglesworth.
Even though being a devout alliance member cost him the game, he was proud of his gameplay. But Jeff said at the time he'd never do that again, if there was a next time.
- Jeff has a Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. About The Author:Elizabeth Kwiatkowski
Elizabeth Kwiatkowski is Associate Editor of Reality TV World and has been covering the reality TV genre for more than a decade.