Derek and Sharna don't exactly top the judges' leaderboard week to week, but that doesn't mean Derek can't dance!
The pair is slowly improving with practice and time, and Derek has the determination and personality this reality dancing competition requires to succeed. Curious to learn more about him?
Below is a list of 6 facts Reality TV World has compiled about Derek Fisher:
- Derek spent his entire pre-NBA life in Little Rock, AR. A stand-out guard in high school, he starred for Parkview Arts and Science Magnet High.
- In 1996, Derek was drafted by the Los Angeles Lakers and went on to play more than 18 seasons in the NBA -- a majority with the Lakers, with whom he won 5 NBA Championships.
- Derek is the all-time NBA record holder in Playoff games played. While playing for the Lakers, he hit a buzzer beater with 0.4 second left in Game 5 of the 2004 Western Conference Semifinals against the San Antonio Spurs, which the NBA lists as the 18th-greatest Playoff moment of all time.
- The DWTS contestant created a camp experience for children and teens. In 2009, he also launched the Derek Fisher Basketball Academy, which is dedicated and focused on developing the basketball, leadership and life skills of each camper.
- Derek was hired to serve as the New York Knicks' head coach in 2014. He became one of the only players to get a head coaching job in the NBA directly from playing. In 2016, he moved back to Los Angeles to work as a broadcaster, making appearances on TNT, NBA TV, and Spectrum SportsNet.
- Derek married Candace Fisher in February 2005, and he has four children: Tatum and Drew (who are twins), Marshall and Chloe. Derek filed for divorce, however, from Candace in March 2015. He is currently dating Basketball Wives star Gloria Govan.
FOLLOW REALITY TV WORLD ON THE ALL-NEW GOOGLE NEWS!
Reality TV World is now available on the all-new Google News app and website. Click here to visit our Google News page, and then click FOLLOW to add us as a news source!