Jesse James: 'It would be selfish' to not let Sandra Bullock divorce me
By Christopher Rocchio, 04/28/2010
Jesse James is accepting full responsibility for his wife Sandra Bullock's decision to file for divorce after infidelity allegations surfaced against the reality TV star.
"Sandy is the love of my life, but considering the pain and devastation I have caused her, it would be selfish to not let her go. Right now it is time for me to beat this addiction that has taken two of the things I love the most in life," the former Jesse James Is a Dead Man and Monster Garage star said in a Wednesday statement obtained by People.
"I ask that you please do not judge Sandy for the things I have done. She has done no wrong. She played no part in any of this. She has been an amazing wife, mother, and best friend, for the over 6 years we have been together."
Bullock announced on Wednesday that she has filed for divorce from James and also revealed that the couple had adopted a newborn son -- Louis Bardo -- in January but had decided to keep it a secret until after the Oscars took place early last month. Bullock is currently finalizing the adoption as a single parent.
"My whole life has been full of hard decisions," James told People.
"The decision to let my wife end our marriage, and continue the adoption of Louis on her own, has been the hardest. The love I have for Louis cannot be put to words. Not having him around to love and to hold has left a huge hole in my heart."
While Bullock won Best Actress honors for her role in The Blind Side at the Oscars ceremony, the win was quickly overshadowed by subsequent allegations that James carried out an 11-month affair with tattoo model Michelle "Bombshell" McGee while his wife was in Atlanta filming the movie.
Several additional women then also made similar claims, resulting in James -- who also competed on the 2009 edition of NBC's The Celebrity Apprentice -- reportedly admitting to Bullock that he had affairs with seven different women.
James returned to his Seal Beach, CA home on Monday after a stay at Arizona's Sierra Tucson Treatment Center. While People reported he was there for "personal issues," it was previously reported he was enrolled in a sexual addiction treatment program.
"I have always taken great pride in proving people wrong. That time has come once again to show that I am not what everyone says I am. I know in my heart that I can be the best father possible to my four children, and the mate Sandy deserves, and realize that this is an incredible mountain to climb," James told People.
"But I believe that the steps I have taken in the last 30 days are the foundation for making this happen. The lifelong commitment I am making is what being a real husband and father is all about."
(Photo credit SpikeTV)
DISCUSS AND COMMENT ON THIS STORY Reality TV World now offers Facebook Comments on our stories. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then 'Add' your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the 'X' in the upper right corner of the comment box. Get more Reality TV World! Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or add our RSS feed.