Derek is a 31-year-old professional dancer, choreographer and actor. Standing 5'10" tall, he's a world champion of Latin and ballroom dancing who joined Dancing with the Stars as a pro back in Season 5.
Derek made it all the way to the semifinals in his very first season of the ABC reality dancing competition. He won his first mirrorball trophy with model and former DWTS co-host Brooke Burke in Season 6, and ever since then, he's been unstoppable.
Derek is now up to six mirrorball trophies, a record which another show pro hasn't even come close to reaching. Derek's journey on Season 23, however, came to an end on November 7 when his celebrity partner Marilu Henner was sent packing just before the semifinals. Want to learn more about him?
Below is a list of 8 facts Reality TV World has compiled about Derek Hough:
- Derek was born on May 17, 1985 in Salt Lake City, UT, and has four siblings, including the beautiful Julianne Hough.
- Ice dancers Meryl Davis and Charlie White won a gold medal in the 2014 Sochi winter Olympics with a routine choreographed by Derek. The number had to contain quickstep and foxtrot rhythms, and the victory marked the first Olympic title in the event for the United States.
- Derek plays the piano, guitar and drums. He also previously taught at the Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts.
- He is best friends with DWTS pro Mark Ballas and has been in a rumored rivalry with Maksim Chmerkovskiy for years (although both men recently denied a feud).
- Derek has been nominated for eight Emmy Awards for choreography and won two of them.
- He will play the role of Corny Collins in NBC's live musical TV-production of Hairspray Live! in December 2016. He is also set to star as Don Lockwood in the upcoming 2017 Broadway production of Singin' in the Rain.
- As of late 2015, Derek has reportedly been in a relationship with DWTS Troupe member and former So You Think You Can Dance finalist Hayley Erbert. About The Author:Elizabeth Kwiatkowski
Elizabeth Kwiatkowski is Associate Editor of Reality TV World and has been covering the reality TV genre for more than a decade.