Brooke Burke-Charvet said she was shocked to learn she won't be returning to "Dancing With the Stars" as a co-host in the upcoming season.

ADVERTISEMENT
The former contestant of the dancing contest announced her departure to fans Saturday night.

weird day!.Shocking pre-season elimination #DWTS!ME. @Tom_Bergeron didn't even read my name. I won't be returning to the show this season. Brooke Burke-Charvet (@brookeburke) February 22, 2014

A source told People the move was shocking.

"It was a shock they let Brooke go," a source tells PEOPLE. "The cast and crew loved her. It's very sad."

Burke-Charvet, a professional dancer and model, released a statement to E! Online in reaction to the news.

"I have enjoyed seven seasons co-hosting DWTS but understand the need for change considering the position of the show at this juncture," Burke-Charvet said.

"I've always been one to embrace change and looking forward to pursuing opportunities I previously wasn't able to entertain because of contractual obligations to the show. I've seen my fair share of shocking eliminations in the ballroom but this one takes the cake."

FOLLOW REALITY TV WORLD ON THE ALL-NEW GOOGLE NEWS!
Reality TV World is now available on the all-new Google News app and website. Click here to visit our Google News page, and then click FOLLOW to add us as a news source!
There's no word on who, if anyone, will be replacing Burke-Charvet.