'The X Factor' reveals Top 17 acts advancing to live performances
By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 10/19/2011
The X Factor revealed the acts who will advance to the live performances portion of the show during Tuesday night's broadcast of the new Fox reality singing competition.
Tuesday night's broadcast picked up where Sunday night's judges' homes episode had ended and featured The X Factor judges Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul, L.A. Reid, and Nicole Scherzinger each meeting individually with their eight acts following the hopefuls' final auditions to reveal whether they would be one of the four acts in their assigned category and 16 overall acts total to make it to the live shows.
Cowell revealed Simone Battle, Rachel Crow, Drew Ryniewicz, and Tiah Tolliver would be the four members of his "Girls under 30" group, rejecting contestants Caitlin Koch, Jazzlyn Little, Tora Woloshin, and Melanie Amaro.
Abdul -- who will mentor the "Groups" category -- selected The Brewer Boys, InTENsity, Lakoda Rayne, and The Stereo Hogzz. She turned down 2squar'd, 4Shore, Illusion/Confusion, and The Anser.
Reid opted to have "Astro" Brian Bradley, Marcus Canty, Phillip Lomax, and Chris Rene in his "Boys under 30" category but sent home Brennin Hunt, Nick Voss, Skyelor Anderson, and Tim Cifers.
Scherzinger -- who was given the eight "Over 30" acts to choose from -- asked LeRoy Bell, Stacy Francis, Dexter Haygood, and Josh Krajcik to be on her team, while she gave Christa Collins, Elaine Gibbs, James Kenney, and Tiger Budbill the bad news that they didn't make the cut.
However, after determining their four acts per category and sharing their decisions with the show's final 16 acts, the judges called each other to discuss their selections and Abdul, Reid and Scherzinger were shocked Cowell had eliminated Amaro and told him he had made a huge mistake.
After thinking about it further, Cowell agreed with his fellow judges and then had a change of heart, desperately wanting Amaro back in the competition.
"I feel it in my gut. I made a big mistake... I made a massive mistake with one contestant. The other judges know who I put through and who I didn't put through. They were all on the phone immediately going, 'What were you thinking?!' And I've now got to right a wrong. It's as simple as that," Cowell said.
Cowell then traveled to Sunrise, FL to Amaro's home to ask her to join his team of girls.
"She has absolutely no idea that I'm on my way now," Cowell said before arriving at her house.
Once Cowell was welcomed into her home, he personally apologized to Amaro and her family for his mistake of letting her go and then told the former contestant he wanted to add her as a special seventeenth finalist. Amaro was thrilled and accepted Cowell's offer.
The X Factor's Top 17 acts who will compete in the live shows and their Fox-supplied bios are:
The guys category:
- "Astro" Brian Bradley, a 15-year-old from Brooklyn, NY
- Chris Rene, a 28-year-old from Santa Cruz, CA
- Marcus Canty, a 20-year-old from Bowie, MD
- Phillip Lomax, a 22-year-old from Seattle, WA
The girls category:
- Drew Ryniewicz, a 14-year-old from Chino Valley, AZ
- Melanie Amaro, a 19-year-old from Tortola, British Virgin Islands who currently resides in Coral Springs, FL
- Rachel Crow, a 13-year-old from Longmont, CO who currently resides in Burbank, CA
- Simone Battle, a 22-year-old from Los Angeles, CA
- Tiah Tolliver, a 20-year-old from Chula Vista, CA who currently resides in Bremerton, WA
The "Over 30s" category:
- Dexter Haygood, a 49-year-old from Memphis, TN who currently resides in Chicago, IL
- Josh Krajcik, a 30-year-old from Wooster, OH who currently resides in Columbus, OH
- LeRoy Bell, a 60-year-old from Tacoma, WA who currently resides in Edmonds, WA
- Stacy Francis, a 42-year-old from Brooklyn, NY who currently resides in Los Angeles, CA
The groups category:
- Brewer Boys
- Justin Brewer, a 17-year-old from Temecula, CA
- Nathan Brewer, a 14-year-old from Temecula, CA
- InTENsity (a new 10-person group formed at the conclusion of the auditions)
- Arin Ray, a 16-year-old from Cincinnati, OH
- Austin Percario, a 15-year-old from Warren, NJ
- Ellona Santiago, a 15-year-old from San Lorenzo, CA
- Emily Michalak, a 13-year-old from Pine Brook, NJ
- Emily Wilson, a 15-year-old from Warren, NJ
- Francesca Duncan, a 17-year-old from Orange County, NY who currently resides in Brockport, NY
- John Lindahl, a 14-year-old from Travuco Canyon, CA
- Lauren Ashley Redmond, a 17-year-old from Houston, TX who currently resides in DeSoto, TX
- Ma'at Bingham Shango, a 12-year-old from Houston, TX
- Nick Dean, a 15-year-old from Rochester, NY
- Lakoda Rayne (a new four-person female group formed at the conclusion of the auditions)
- Cari Fletcher, a 17-year-old from Wall Township, NJ
- Dani Knights, a 22-year-old from Santa Clarita, CA
- Hayley Orrantia, a 17-year-old from Highland Village, TX
- Paige Ogle, an 18-year-old from Baltimore, MD
- Stereo Hogzz
- George Jenkins III, a 25-year-old from Houston, TX
- Jonathan Glenn, a 25-year-old from Houston, TX
- Justin Williams, a 25-year-old from Houston, TX
- Kregg Gibson, a 25-year-old from Houston, TX
- Leeland Stephenson, a 24-year-old from Houston, TX
DISCUSS AND COMMENT ON THIS STORY Reality TV World now offers Facebook Comments on our stories. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then 'Add' your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the 'X' in the upper right corner of the comment box. Get more Reality TV World! Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or add our RSS feed.