Kate Gosselin: Unlike Jon, I won't accept mediocre life for our kids
By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 09/12/2011
Kate Gosselin is firing back at ex-husband Jon Gosselin for saying he's "very relieved" her reality show Kate Plus 8 has been canceled and hoping she'll find a "normal job" by insisting a normal life would result in a "mediocre" life for their children.
"Well, it's a situation where Jon may be accepting of mediocre for his kids and working a regular job. I want the best for my kids and the best opportunities not unlike every parent," Kate said during a Monday morning appearance on NBC's Today show.
"I think that to be a good parent is to work as hard as you can and give them the best opportunities in life, and this has provided that."
While Jon told RumorFix last week that "reality TV is not a career" in response to Kate's recent interview in which she admitted she is "freaking out big time" over the network's recent cancellation announcement, Kate said she would be interested in doing another reality show if the right opportunity presented itself.
"It would have to be the right one, but I think at this point, the best opportunity for all of us would be me continuing in TV as a way to provide for my kids. Something that's exciting and challenging for me has been TV. You know, I wouldn't be opposed to it," Kate told Today.
In addition, Kate said her kids would be involved in a potential future reality series if the timing was right and the show seemed a good fit for them.
"If the right thing came along, I think we all are still in agreeance with it. I'm sure you will see my kids again at some point," the reality TV star added.
Kate said the end of Kate Plus 8 -- which will air its series finale tonight on TLC -- marks the end of a chapter in her family's lives, a change that incites both sadness and fear in the 36-year-old single mom.
"Yeah, there's a combination of both. I mean, there's some relief, but there is sadness because it's the end of an era. I feel sad for my kids because of all the opportunities that they're not questioning what's going to happen. I feel sad for fans because they're devastated. They're saying, 'No, you're the neighbor moving far away and we won't see you again,'" she explained.
Although she described Kate Plus 8 -- which began as Jon & Kate Plus 8 in 2007 before being relaunched as Kate Plus 8 last year following Kate's 2009 divorce from Jon -- as a stepping stone for her professionally, Kate also said she's scared of attempting to move forward in her career.
"There's also fear because this has been, although maybe not my career, has been the start essentially of my career and my job and the way I've been providing for my kids for six years. And so, you know, it is a little scary," Kate said.
In addition, Kate suggested she was not totally truthful about how the show's cancellation was news to her during an August interview with Today.
"Not long after that interview, I got a call from TLC and I knew that we were in the deciding place. So, it was not a surprise -- obviously ratings and everything else. So, I braced myself and here we are," Kate explained.
(Photo credit TLC)
DISCUSS AND COMMENT ON THIS STORY Reality TV World now offers Facebook Comments on our stories. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then 'Add' your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the 'X' in the upper right corner of the comment box. Get more Reality TV World! Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or add our RSS feed.