TLC has announced it is not renewing the series -- which began as Jon & Kate Plus 8 in 2007 before being relaunched as Kate Plus 8 last year following Gosselin's 2009 divorce from former husband Jon Gosselin -- for a third season.
"TLC has decided not to renew another season of Kate Plus 8," a network representative said in a statement obtained by Access Hollywood on Monday.
"By the end of this season, Kate Plus 8 will have hit the 150 episode mark (including Jon & Kate Plus 8); an exceptional milestone."
However, Kate Plus 8's cancellation may not mark the end of the network's association with Gosselin and her eight children -- 10-year-old twins Cara and Mady, as well as 7-year-old sextuplets Aaden, Alexis, Collin, Hannah, Joel, and Leah.
"TLC hopes to check in with Kate and the family periodically with specials in the future," the TLC rep said.
Rumors that TLC was considering canceling Kate Plus 8 had circulated for months, however Gosselin had denied any knowledge of the matter as recently as last week.
"There is a lot of talk about it, and nobody's told me," Gosselin told Today show co-host Ann Curry during an August 7 appearance to promote a run of new second-season Kate Plus 8 episodes which began airing on TLC last week.
"We're happy to continue on and we will do so as long as people are watching. There's been a lot of fans and supporters who have continued to watch us through good and through bad and I just have to take this opportunity to say thank you and we'll still be on TV as long as you're watching us."
In fact, Gosselin had told Curry she could envision Kate Plus 8 continuing to chronicle her family into her children's high school years.
"Gosh, that will be a show! I might be dead by then... gosh, teenagers, I don't even want to talk about it. [But] I do. I mean the kids and I are still having a lot of fun," she said.
However, Kate Plus 8 will reportedly now come up well short of Gosselin's scenario and air its series finale on Monday, September 12.