Fox acknowledges host Steve Jones may not return to 'The X Factor'
By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 01/09/2012
Fox has acknowledged The X Factor host Steve Jones isn't a lock to return for the new reality singing competition's second season.
While Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly said while he's "thrilled" with the performance of The X Factor's first season, he expects changes will be made based on producer and judge Simon Cowell's "relentless" pursuit of improvement.
"Whether Steve's the guy or not, it comes under the heading of growth in general so there will be some tweaks to the show," Reilly told reporters during a Television Critics Association press tour panel in Los Angeles on Sunday, Reuters reported. "Hosting, as we know, it is a much harder job than meets the eye. I think everybody now has come to realize the value of [American Idol host] Ryan Seacrest."
"Next year will be a bloodbath. We have to come out with something better than the rest, and that's what we aim to do," Cowell told People last month following the show's first-season finale when Melanie Amaro was crowned champion and won a $5 million recording contract.
Last month, The X Factordenied Jones is unlikely to return to the show's second season after Britain's Daily Mirror newspaper reported Fox executives had already decided not to renew the host's contract, labeling his absence from the next edition "pretty much a done deal."
Reports that The X Factor was considering replacing Jones or giving him a new co-host first surfaced in October.
(Photo credit Fox)
DISCUSS AND COMMENT ON THIS STORY Reality TV World now offers Facebook Comments on our stories. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then 'Add' your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the 'X' in the upper right corner of the comment box. Get more Reality TV World! Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or add our RSS feed.