Chmerkovskiy was absent from the reality dancing competition's most recent sixteenth season. He announced his departure in February, explaining in a media statement that after seven years of being a part of Dancing with the Stars, he was eager to "explore other opportunities" such as producing and acting.
Chmerkovskiy -- who has competed in 13 of Dancing with the Stars' prior seasons but never won -- had previously revealed he planned to leave the show when his contract expired after Season 17, which will premiere on Monday, September 16 at 8PM ET/PT.
In addition, Hough said he will certainly be back next season and is anticipating the weekly broadcasts to be especially entertaining now that the performance and result shows will be tied into one episode.
"Yes," Hough replied when Access Hollywood asked him if he'll be competing again. "And the format's changing. We've got one show a week now, but I think it'll make a better show, more jam packed. And so I'm excited about it."
But Hough also apparently has another project going on the side. He will be hosting Family Dance Off, a one-hour special that will feature families competing before a live studio audience for a prize of $10,000 and air on ABC on Sunday, August 25.
"It's a very fun show. People always ask me when is it a normal person's turn? Like when can I dance? I want to dance, but I'm not a celebrity or a professional dancer. So that's what this is. It's for the average person to get up there and dance and rock it," Hough told Access Hollywood.
"It was awesome. It was awesome to work on."
DISCUSS AND COMMENT ON THIS STORY Reality TV World now offers Facebook Comments on our stories. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then 'Add' your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the 'X' in the upper right corner of the comment box. Get more Reality TV World! Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or add our RSS feed.