CBS reveals the identities of its upcoming 'The Cut' contestants
By Reality TV World staff, 05/11/2005
CBS has unveiled the identities of the sixteen contestants who will be competing in its new previously announcedThe Cut reality series.
Premiering on Thursday, June 9 with a special 90-minute premiere in Survivor's 8PM ET/PT time period, The Cut will feature fashion designer Tommy Hilfiger searching for "America's fashion trendsetter of tomorrow," with the fashion competition show's winner receiving the opportunity to design his or her own collection under the Tommy Hilfiger label.
Part of a reality-filled summer lineup in which CBS will broadcast six hours of reality programming a week, the Hilfiger-hosted The Cut will air its first four episodes in the Thursday 8PM ET/PT time period. Following its June 30 fourth episode broadcast, The Cut will be relocated to an as of yet undisclosed time period in order to make way for the Thursday, July 7 premiere of the tentpole of CBS's summer reality programming lineup -- Big Brother 6.
A thirteen episode series, The Cut will require its contestants to demonstrate their unique sense of style and creativity to prove they have the necessary tools to survive and succeed in the high-stakes fashion industry. Similar to America's Next Top Model, The Apprentice, etc. the contestants will together in a New York SOHO loft while being tasked with grueling style assignments that will test their talent, business acumen, sales and marketing expertise, social skills, resourcefulness, and style IQ's. Each week, Hilfiger and his "Style Council," which will consist of guest advisors, will rate the hopefuls on their results and cut one contestant.
Casting a wide net in his search for creative genius, Hilfiger selected his sixteen hopefuls from all across America, with the contestants including a St. Louis desperate housewife who hopes to escape from suburbia, a Brooklyn street artist who is looking to provide a better life for his five kids, a New Orleans socialite used to the finer things in life, and a 22-year-old former Miss Minnesota who is anxious to prove she is much more than a pretty face.
• Felix, a single 35-year-old professional skate boarder and freelance designer from Los Angeles, CA. The son of Cuban immigrants and a self-made skateboard pro, Felix is unrelenting in his work ethic and stubborn to a fault.
• Jeff, a 42-year-old salesman and married father of two from Chicago, IL. A fashion industry veteran, Jeff has the self confidence to claim, "I have the potential to blow the mind."
• Deanna, a 23-year-old single West Hollywood, CA resident who works as a retail manager and stylist for a boutique on trendy Melrose Avenue. An avant-garde, brash stylist, Deanna clashes with her fellow competitors as much as the off-the-wall clothing she wears.
• Chris C., a 26-year-old single student from San Francisco, CA. A Hilfiger fanatic from the wrong side of the tracks, Chris is looking to grab the attention of his idol.
• Wes, a 25-year-old single creative director from New Orleans, LA. Billing himself as an "All American boy with a twist," Wes employs lethal tactics to get an edge over his competition
• Jessica, a 22-year-old single Midwest beauty queen from St. Paul, MN. As the Miss Minnesota USA 2004 titleholder, Jessica wants to prove to the public that she is much more than a just a pretty face.
• Vlada, a 24-year-old single sales associate from Chesterfield, MO. A Russian beauty, Vlada is looking to use her natural assets to charm her way to the top.
• Julie, a 37-year-old married mother of three children from St. Louis, MO. A full-time mom, Julie is a desperate housewife who is looking to escape suburbia.
• Liz, a 30-year-old single publisher/editor from West Hollywood, CA. A Beverly Hills business woman, Liz is known to causes storms of controversy with her sharp and biting manner.
• Amy. a 26-year-old single fashion stylist from Chicago, IL. Fun and vivacious, Amy has much to say -- to the dismay of the other contestants.
• Chris S., a 25-year-old single restaurateur from Nashville, TN. A football-loving, southern boy, Chris wants to prove that great designers can be found in unexpected places.
• Shauna, a 39-year-old married mother of two from New Orleans, LA. Unemployed, Shauna is a New Orleans socialite who is used to the finer things in life who will have to adjust to a whole new world.
• Rob, a 35-year-old graphic designer and married father of five from Brooklyn, NY. A Brooklyn street artist, Rob is looking to make a better life for his wife and kids.
• Tommy, a 42-year-old single teacher from Chicago, IL. An experienced couture designer, Tommy thinks he has this competition wrapped up -- or so he is convinced.
• Princess, a 22-year-old single freelance designer from Philadelphia, PA. A business savvy designer, Princess is looking to turn the fashion industry on its head with her urban chic.
• James, a 27-year-old single Encinitas, CA resident who works in production from a sportswear company. Considered "a guy's guy from the beaches of San Diego," James cautions to not misjudge his laid back approach.
Produced by Lions Gate Television in association with Pilgrim Films and Television, The Cut is executive produced by . Craig Piligian and Peter Connolly, President of Worldwide Marketing for Hilfiger. The Cut was created by Piligian and Darren Maddern. Maddern and Eli Frankel will serve as co-executive producers.
Craig Piligian was the co-executive producer on Survivor, Survivor: The Australian Outback, and Survivor: Africa. He is the creator and executive producer of American Chopper, American Hotrod and American Casino, among other productions.