'American Idol 4' wraps auditions, reveals its 24 semifinalists
By Reality TV World staff, 02/17/2005
The fourth season of Fox's American Idol has now begun in earnest, with last night's broadcast ending the show's month-long audition phase by revealing the identities of the show's twenty-four semifinalists.
With American Idol 4's Hollywood auditions now complete, the show's performance shows will begin with a special three-night Idol broadcast scheduled for next week.
American Idol 4's twelve male finalists will performance during a special Monday, February 21 8-9PM ET/PT broadcast,
after which the show's loyal viewers will finally receive their own chance to cast votes for their fourth season favorites. Idol's twelve women finalists will follow with another 8-9PM ET/PT performance show on Tuesday night, after which Fox will air a special Wednesday 9-10PM ET/PT live results show that will eliminate two men and two women from the competition.
Similar to last year, American Idol viewers will be able to vote by either toll-free telephone numbers or wireless text messaging, with last year's AT&T Wireless/Cingular merger resulting in Cingular being the new season's text messaging partner. Voting lines will be open for two hours following each episode's time zone-adjusted broadcast.
• Bo Bice, a 29-year-old from Helena, AL (Auditioned in Orlando) - Bo Bice is a native of Alabama and currently lives in Birmingham, AL. He has performed in shows all across the USA, UK and Ireland after starting his career at the age of 9 in a local school competition. Bo has performed with many bands, which helped mold him into the singer he is today. He has opened for Blackfoot and Warrant, and has performed live and recorded with Jonny Neal of the Allman Brothers.
• David Brown, a 20-year-old from New Orleans, LA (Auditioned in New Orleans) - The second of five boys, David swears he came out of the womb singing. He realized in high school that he had a special gift and has been sharing his gift with those around him. His mother encouraged David to venture into classical training, which enabled him to hone his skill even further. He sang in musical productions in high school and studied music business at Delgado Community College. His other interests include basketball and construction.
• Anthony Fedorov, a 19-year-old from Trevose, PA (Auditioned in Cleveland) - Born in the Ukraine, Anthony Fedorov is in his third semester at Bucks County Community College near Trevose, PA, and is pursuing his singing career in New York City. On weekends, you can find Anthony performing in Brooklyn at Tatiana's. Anthony is a ballad singer who loves to be active and enjoys playing various sports.
• Judd Harris, 27-year-old from New York, NY (Auditioned in New Orleans) - Born and raised in New Orleans, Judd Harris knows a thing or two about good food and good music. In his junior year of high school (Isidore Newman School), his soccer team won the state championship. Judd moved to New York City to pursue his dreams and enrolled at NYU's Tisch School of the Arts. He has performed around Manhattan and currently is the lead singer for the group Visible from Space.
• Constantine Maroulis, a 29-year-old from New York, NY (Auditioned in DC) - Born in Brooklyn, NY, Constantine graduated from the Boston Conservatory and has a hard rock band in New York City called Pray for the Soul of Betty. Constantine has studied classical acting, music, dance and voice. He also apprenticed at the Williamstown Theatre Festival. For the 2003/2004 season, Constantine toured with the international production of "Rent," playing the lead character named "Roger."
• Joseph Murena, a 26-year-old from Smithtown, NY (Auditioned in Las Vegas) - At age 16, Joe Murena decided to make his mother a special birthday present by recording her favorite songs. After discovering he had a unique gift, Joe began pursing singing opportunities. In 2001, Joe auditioned for "Showtime at the Apollo" before thousands of viewers. Currently, he works for the 1st District Court in Suffolk County and is studying acting and voice in New York City. He was named the Long Island Idol by a local radio station.
• Anwar F. Robinson, a 25-year-old from Elizabeth, NJ (Auditioned in DC) - Anwar F. Robinson has been singing from a young age and was a member of the Newark Boys' Chorus, which traveled to Prague to perform and also performed at the second inauguration of President Bill Clinton. After high school, he attended Westminster Choir College of Ryder University, where he earned a degree in music education. He currently teaches vocal music at Thomas Edison Middle School in West Orange, NJ. Anwar is a member of a group called The Perfect Combination, which performs at weddings and office events in the tri-state area. Other accomplishments include an appearance on the "Emeril Live Christmas Special" and providing piano accompaniment for Patti La Belle on her cooking show pilot.
• Scott Savol, a 28-year-old from Shaker Heights, OH (Auditioned in Cleveland) - Born and raised in Cleveland, Scott Savol, the second of four children, has been singing since he was 5 years old. He is the proud father of 4-year-old Brandon Scott Savol. Scott also plays the trumpet and knows his way around the piano. He has performed at city festivals and church and school functions.
• Nikko Smith, a 22-year-old from Town & Country, MO (Auditioned in St. Louis) - Nikko Smith was born in San Diego, CA, but has lived his whole life in St. Louis. He started singing at age 7 in church. In 1996, he joined the singing group Team 11, which performed cover tunes at promotional events. He attended Parkway West High School in Town & Country. Nikko is the son of Hall of Fame baseball player Ozzie Smith of the St. Louis Cardinals. Nikko has one brother and one sister. In 2003, Nikko moved to L.A. with Team 11 to pursue music, but moved back the same year, after the group disbanded. He has performed at several St. Louis jazz and blues clubs.
• Travis Tucker, a 21-year-old from Manassas, VA (Auditioned in DC) - Travis Tucker, who hails from Manassas, VA, is currently studying Math Education at the University of Virginia. Travis enjoys playing sports, break dancing, and beat boxing. He has two brothers and one sister. Travis describes his vocal style as R&B/hip-hop.
• Mario Vazquez, a 27-year-old from New York, NY (Auditioned in Las Vegas) - Mario Vazquez was born and raised in New York City. While attending La Guardia High School, he was a member of the City Kids Repertory Group (an urban youth empowerment group), which traveled the city to educate urban youths through the arts. Currently, he works with emerging artists within the New York music world.
• Jared Yates, a 18-year-old from Danville, IL (Auditioned in St. Louis) - Jared Yates is a senior at Schlarman Catholic High School and performs in school plays and concerts. He currently lives on an apple orchard with chickens, goats, dogs, pigs, horses and ducks. You can also catch Jared around town performing at local restaurants, and at local events including weddings and Christmas parties. In his spare time, he likes to hang out with his friends and go to the movies.
• Amanda Avila, 23-year-old from Las Vegas, NV (Auditioned in Las Vegas) - Amanda Avila, who currently lives in Las Vegas, has been singing and dancing since she was 2 years old. She attended the Los Angeles County High School of the Arts to pursue singing, dancing and acting. For the past couple of years, Amanda was a backup singer for Motown legend Smokey Robinson.
• Celena Rae, a 29-year-old from Fort Worth, TX (Auditioned in Cleveland) - Celena Rae, who is a newlywed from Fort Worth, TX, is currently studying voice and has attended the Art Institute of Dallas for fashion marketing. Celena is a skilled card player among her friends. In her spare time, she also enjoys ice skating and playing classical piano. Celena is the proud owner of Libbi Lu, a 3-year-old Chihuahua.
• Lindsey Cardinale, a 20-year-old from Ponchatoula, LA (Auditioned in New Orleans) - Lindsey Cardinale is currently a student Southeastern Louisiana University. She has been performing since she was 12 years old in school shows, benefits, fairs, festivals and weddings. Lindsey also plays the guitar, piano and drums. In her off time, Lindsey enjoys riding horses, four-wheelers, knee boarding, hunting and fishing.
• Janay Castine, a 17-year-old from Lawrenceville, GA (Auditioned in New Orleans) - Janay Castine, originally from East Palo Alto, CA, is currently a senior at Peachtree Ridge High School in Lawrenceville, GA. She has been singing since the ripe age of 3 and performs annually in the school chorus concert. Janay has two younger brothers, Ed and Myles.
• Mikalah Gordon, a 17-year-old from Las Vegas, NV (Auditioned in Las Vegas) - Mikalah Gordon started her career in the bathtub at the tender age of 18 months. She is currently a junior at Cimmarron Memorial High School and enjoys cheerleading, dancing and acting - but she's not a drama queen. In 2000, Mikalah, with the Helen Joy Young Entertainers, performed for President Clinton at the White House.
• Melinda Lira, a 19-year-old from Hanford, CA (Auditioned in SF) - Melinda Lira, who was born and raised in Hanford, CA, began her career at the young age of 5 in her local church. In high school, she was an A student who played volleyball, basketball and was in the school choir for all four years. Currently, she works for Big 5 Sporting Goods as a sales associate.
• Sarah Mather, a 22-year-old from Wilmington, NC (Auditioned in DC) - Sarah Mather was born in Montreal, Quebec, and lived there until her family moved to Charlotte when she was 10 years old. She went to Providence High School and graduated from Cape Fear Community College with a certificate in esthetic and nail technology. Sarah has two older brothers. She auditioned for the school choir in elementary school and had many solos along with being a member of the Charlotte Children's Choir for four years. Sarah was in several high school productions and started singing in bands while in high school. Recently, she became a member of a Top 40 cover band in Wilmington.
• Aloha Mischeaux, a 18-year-old from St. Louis, MO (St. Louis) - Aloha Mischeaux, who was born and raised in St. Louis and comes from a large family, has studied musical theater at the American Musical & Dramatics Academy. Aloha enjoys writing songs and has been learning how to play the guitar. In high school, Aloha competed in many dance competitions, including cheerleading and jazz.
• Jessica Sierra, a 19-year-old from Tampa, FL (Auditioned in Orlando) - Jessica Sierra began her singing career at 3 years of age by emulating her grandmother, whom she has named her American Idol. Jessica was born and raised in Tampa, FL, and has been working as a live-in nanny for the past year. Her aunt is currently the mayor of Tampa. She has performed at talent shows, corporate events and in church, and has been a member of Entertainment Revue.
• Vonzell Solomon, a 20-year-old from Ft. Meyers, FL (Auditioned in Orlando) - Vonzell was born in Baxley, GA, and moved to Fort Myers, FL, when she was a few months old. She went to Cypress Lake Center for the Arts high school and has recorded a CD. Vonzell has one sister and two brothers. Her dad is a martial arts instructor and Vonzell is a black belt in sembact martial arts (a combination of karate, jujitsu and tae kwon do).
• Nadia Turner, a 28-year-old from Miami, FL (Auditioned in Orlando) - Nadia Turner, recently studied advertising and psychology at Florida International University. Presently, Nadia is a bartender/waitress at Oxygen Lounge, while also performing at church functions. Nadia is a member of the Tool Box group, a rock/soul Christian band that tours churches and charity groups. In her spare time, Nadia enjoys black and white photography, bowling, roller skating and playing cards.
• Carrie Underwood, a 21-year-old from Checotah, OK (Auditioned in St. Louis) - Carrie Underwood, who was born and raised in Checotah, OK, has spent her entire life on a farm. Currently, Carrie is a senior at Northeastern State University, studying mass communications. Carrie is the youngest of three sisters and plays guitar and piano. She loves animals and rescues strays from the surrounding area.
American Idol is created and executive-produced by Simon Fuller and executive-produced by Cecile Frot-Coutaz, Nigel Lythgoe, and Ken Warwick.
DISCUSS AND COMMENT ON THIS STORY Reality TV World now offers Facebook Comments on our stories. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then 'Add' your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the 'X' in the upper right corner of the comment box. Get more Reality TV World! Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or add our RSS feed.