ABC’s “One Ocean View” is a new reality show from MTV's "The Real World" producers, Jonathan Murray and Joey Carson. The co-executive producers are Laura Korkoian and Dana DeMars. "One Ocean View" is produced by Bunim-Murray Productions. For the next six weeks we will watch this show unfold. How lucky can we be? I’ve been told that this is a cross between” The Real World” and “Laguna Beach”. Eleven 20-somethings search for fun, friendship, and romance. Do you know where this show is going? Well, I don’t. I’ve never watched a non-elimination reality show before. What fun can there be when no one is sent home?
Most of the drama will take place on Fire Island, a secluded 30 mile long island, where most New Yorker’s go for peace & quiet. Locals would like to keep this Bohemian retreat a secret and inaccessible. The islands history can be traced back to 1653. During the 1920’s the beaches were littered with rum, writers, musicians, & real estate deals. Today this is one of the hottest places to own a beach house. It is still popular among artist, actors, musicians, and the ultra rich. Now I understand why Jon Murray rented one of the largest beach houses for the summer. This island has seen a little of everything. Now it’s time to welcome the world of reality TV.
New York City is the starting point from where these young singles have joined the rat race to find money, power, and success. If you believe the twins, who narrate, they say they came up with the idea that it’s time to make room for other stuff, like fun, romance, and maybe falling in love. They need a break from the city and have a cool idea for the summer. Find a beach house to share on the week-ends. Make new friends. Enlarge their customer base at the restaurant. They choose Fire Island. You can reach the island by ferry, water-taxi, or private boat. Once there, the best way to move your stuff is by the little red wagon. Or you can pull your wheeled luggage through the sand. High heels optional. Our destination is Ocean Beach, the largest community and unofficial capital of Fire Island.
What should you bring to Fire Island?
• A laid back attitude: Miki and Radha, 27, show this attitude in their healthy pizza parlor on the Upper East Side. They are identical twins with identical accomplishments. They are attracted to the same men and will bring a sisterly competition to the house. Who are they going after? Who will they push together? Tune in next Monday to find out.
• Good pair of sunglasses: Mary, 24, founder of a designer handbag company should be able to pick a good pair with her fashion sense. Sunglasses are good for hiding red eyes caused from crying from a broken heart. But she’s ready to go on now. She has set her eyes on KJ. She also has chemistry with Usman.
• Beach towel: KJ, 26, has lots of beach towels from the woman’s health clubs he owns. He has also been on “Room Raider” on MTV. His ultimate goal is to make money and help people at the same time. KJ would like to share his towel with someone he can trust. Can he trust Lauren?
• Beach chair: Lisa, 28, will bring the chair she travels around the country with. Her passion is meteor showers. In her spare time she is earning her Masters degree. She dances to pay for college. Will she meet her fantasy guy, whom she describes as nerdy and smart?
• A big can of bug repellent: They don’t make a can big enough for this one. Usman, 27, is a self-absorbed and chauvinistic Wall Street lawyer. I found myself screaming at the TV. “Who are you?” This preening attorney says stuff like "I get better-looking every day ... so every day I feel better." Women are going to love to hate you. Hey Usman! Fire Island has a motto, Check Yourself, Check Your Friends. I have a new pick-up line for you. "Hey baby, can I check you for ticks?"
• Sun block: We will meet Heather, 27, a Sales Account Manager/Recruiter next week. This former brunette tomboy has turned into a blonde bombshell that has recently posed for a men’s magazine. Will she find an accomplished man to take home to meet her parents? There will be a long line waiting to apply the sun block.
• Water bottle/cooler: We will also meet Anelka, 23, a Senior Account Executive for a photography company next week. I’m sure she will have clean & fresh water, having recently moved from a rural setting to the big city. She expects to be the center of attention and anticipates a string of exciting affairs.
• Aspirin (for those nights you overindulge): I’m sure Zack, 22; a Recruiter/Headhunter will have a large bottle, extra-mega-strength. He joins the group with his first and only love, Lauren. The two can’t seem to live with or without each other. Zack is the nice guy who is reluctant to chase other women in front of Lauren. But how truthful is Lauren being with him. But is Zack the jealous type, and does Lauren's have a thing for KJ? Will Ocean Beach make or break their relationship?
• Your license: Lauren, 23, a junior analyst for a hedge fund, is planning on using her license often this summer. No-No-No! She will be trying to find out once and for all whether Zack is her true love or her best friend. No-No-No! She will crush Zack’s heart in her hand. No-No-No! She will date other boys. No-No-No!
• Enough cash to last the weekend. John, 24, is a broker for a Wall Street firm. John still has the t-shirt his father was wearing when he met his mother on Fire Island thirty years ago. John is a romantic at heart, looking for the same romance his parents had on the Island back in the 1970’s. He is the happy-go-lucky one who may come across as a player. Will he fulfill his dream?
Let’s go surfing. Wow, Look at those deer! What is this bug on my back? Will Lauren and Zack call it quits? Will Lauren allow Zack to date other women? Will Lauren hook-up with KJ? Will Mary date KJ, and cry over lost loves? Will Mary hook-up with Usman? Will Usman remember his hair products next week? Will John find his dream girl? Is she the twins? What will the sexy new roommates add to this mix? No-No-No! Listen! Tune in next week to find out.