In a surprise upset, Norwegian Pop Idol Kurt Nilsen, a former plumber, defeated competition favorites Kelly Clarkson and Will Young and won World Idol's clash of the world's Idols. Full Story
WARNING: The following story contains spoilers as to the winner and finish orders of the World Idol results show which will air on FOX and CTV in the U.S. and Canada this evening. If you do not wish to know this information, please stop reading right now.
Was World Idol a ratings smash? Or was it a flop? The answer depends upon the country from which you were watching.
Although we have no idea what the final cut of World Idol, to be broadcast by Fox and CTV on Christmas Day, contains, we have now received a number of reports about the taping sessions on December 17. If you can picture a judging panel made up of 11 Simon Cowells, you've got the right image.
If, as rumored, Pete Waterman becomes a judge for Fox's American Idol 3, he's got some growing up to do first.
Who stars in World Idol -- the national winners or the national judges?
On December 17, the upcoming worldwide holiday special World Idol was taped in London ... but bigger news broke off-stage. Chartbusting superstar Elton John agreed to appear on the World Idol results show, which will be aired on January 1 in the United States (on Fox, from 9-10 PM) and Canada (on CTV, from 8-9 PM) -- the same day that it takes place in London.
FOX has announced that Simon Cowell will serve as America's representative on the upcoming World Idol judging panel. According to reports, Cowell was given the choice to either represent either FOX's American Idol program or the U.K.'s original Pop Idol program (where he still also serves as a judge) and opted to represent the American edition on the international judging panel.
Pop Idol creator Simon Fuller has finally achieved his dream: a one-night face-off among winners of Pop Idol versions from around the world, to be called World Idol.
Daily Variety (registration required) reports that the U.K. Pop Idol concept has been sold to two more countries: Croatia, to be broadcast on TV Nova, and Serbia and Montenegro (formerly known as Yugoslavia), to be broadcast on BK Telekom. With these latest additions, Idol is now running in 20 versions, including Fox's American Idol in the U.S. and Canada, and CTV's Canadian Idol in Canada.
Apparently we aren't the only ones enthusiastic about the nationalisitic hook in Big Brother Africa, which brought together one houseguest from 12 different countries. E! Online reports that Simon Fuller, the producer of Fox's American Idol, CTV's Canadian Idol, the U.K.'s Pop Idol and various other worldwide Idols (including the first Arab Idol, called Superstar and won by 19-year-old Jordanian Diana Karzon), now envisions a global Idol featuring winners from the different Idol versions. The show is preliminarily being positioned as a two-hour special for the December holiday season, with the winner being announced a week later.
- Exclusive: 'Survivor: Kaoh Rong' castoff Kyle Jason talks (Part 1)
- Blac Chyna is pregnant with Rob Kardashian's baby!
- Exclusive: 'The Amazing Race' eliminees Brodie Smith and Kurt Gibson talk (Part 2)
- Brody Jenner and Kaitlynn Carter announce engagement
- Jenni "JWoww" Farley and husband Roger Mathews welcome a baby boy
- Jennifer Lopez releases 'Ain't Your Mama' music video
- Ariel Winter responds to Chloe Grace Moretz's criticism of Kim Kardashian
- 'STRONG' recap: Trainer Chris Ryan and trainee Giovanna Cicerchia ousted as new Yellow team forms
- 'American Grit' recap: Army Ranger Nick "The Reaper" Irving's team loses Maria Kang
- 'Survivor: Kaoh Rong' castoff Kyle Jason: If it makes you feel better to call me a bully, call me it all you want!
- 'The Voice's Daniel Passino suggests a conspiracy: I saw both of my Season 10 eliminations coming
- Khloe Kardashian slammed for "ignorant" Instagram photo in Cuba displaying "Fidel" name
- Kanye West compares his new tour to 'Star Wars'
- Michelle Money in 'Marriage Boot Camp' preview: I don't think Cody Sattler is "the one," his selfies drive me crazy
- JoJo Fletcher talks relationship status with ex-boyfriends Ben Higgins and Chad Rookstool as 'The Bachelorette' films
- Aubrey O'Day and Paul "Pauly D" DelVecchio split after former 'Jersey Shore' star allegedly cheats
- 'Survivor: Kaoh Rong' recap: Kyle Jason gets voted out, Tai Trang wastes extra-vote advantage
- 'The Voice' eliminee Daniel Passino: Pharrell Williams didn't defend me, what I got was a eulogy
- Caitlyn Jenner reportedly posing nude with Olympic gold medal for 'Sports Illustrated' cover
- Rumer Willis bashes 'Vanity Fair' photographers for digitally editing her face: I won't stand for bullying
- 'The Bachelorette' star JoJo Fletcher was "nervous" going in, says former 'The Bachelor' star Sean Lowe
- Cindy Crawford: "I'm so jealous" of Instagram-famous models like Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid
- 'Dancing with the Stars' doing first-ever "Judges Team-Up Challenge" twist
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani to sing duet on 'The Voice'