Man apologizes for punching 'Jersey Shore's Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi
By Christopher Rocchio, 12/18/2009
Brad Ferro has apologized for punching Jersey Shore cast member Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi in the face while MTV was filming for the reality series this summer.
"I'm very sorry for what happened," Ferro toldThe New York Post in a Thursday report. "I deeply regret what happened. Nobody deserves that. That was not the real Brad Ferro."
The incident occurred when Ferro was drinking at the Beachcomber Bar and Grill in Seaside Heights on August 19 and had previously been told by bouncers to stop drinking. However he allegedly downed Polizzi's drink, had a verbal altercation with her and punched her in the face -- causing her to fall out of her seat.
"When I saw the video, I was sick to my stomach," Ferro told The Post, adding the first time he saw footage from the altercation was when a prosecutor played it for him.
"I couldn't believe that I'd ever do anything like that. I was raised to act in a respectful manner to women." Ferro was subsequently arrested and charged with simple assault for punching the 21-year-old Jersey Shorecast member. He pled guilty and was given a six-month suspended jail sentence and ordered to pay a $500 fine and take anger management classes.
"I remember very little from the time of the incident," he told The Post. "It's all fuzzy. I remember a punch -- I don't remember who or why and I remember being arrested."
Ferro said the night of the incident began with him venturing to the bar with three friends before MTV's camera crews and the Jersey Shore cast arrived. By that point, he admittedly "drank way too much."
"It was a friendly atmosphere," Ferro told The Post, adding he didn't sign any legal release from the film crew. "It seemed like they were filming something but they never explained to me what it was."
In addition, Ferro was suspended from his position as a gym teacher at a Queens high school after video footage from the incident appeared on the Internet -- however the clip has since been removed from YouTube.
He told The Post he's "saddened" he may ultimately lose his job.
"I love teaching," he added.
Ferro hopes he gets an opportunity to return to his job, and his lawyer thinks he deserves one.
FOLLOW REALITY TV WORLD ON THE ALL-NEW GOOGLE NEWS!
Reality TV World is now available on the all-new Google News app and website. Click here to visit our Google News page, and then click FOLLOW to add us as a news source!
"I think Brad should be given a second chance to show he is a person of much higher character than has been shown on this video," lawyer Andrew Siben told The Post.
"I think he's a decent young man who, unfortunately, made a bad decision which has come back to haunt him."