'So You Think You Can Dance' wraps ninth-season auditions and reveals Top 20
By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 06/28/2012
So You Think You Can Dance revealed the identities of its Top 20 ninth-season finalists during Wednesday night's broadcast of the Fox reality dancing competition.
Thousands of hopefuls auditioned for So You Think You Can Dance's ninth season by attending open casting calls from which 181 contestants were invited to attend the "Las Vegas Round."
The Top 20 -- 10 males and 10 females -- were selected by regular So You Think You Can Dance judges Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy, as well as choreographers/guest judges Debbie Allen, Tyce Diorio, Christopher "Lil' C" Toler, and Adam Shankman.
The Top 20 will be paired into 10 couples and learn a choreographed dance routine representing their assigned genre, which could range from a variety of dance styles -- including hip-hop, Broadway, contemporary, and ballroom, among others. Home viewers will be able to vote for their favorite couples immediately following the broadcast.
Then, the following week on Wednesday, July 18 at 8PM ET/PT, the 10 couples will perform again in a different assigned genre, and home viewer votes from the previous week will be revealed at the end of the show. The three couples who received the lowest number of home viewer votes will be announced, and then the six individual dancers -- consisting of three guys and three girls -- may be given one last chance to impress the judges with his or her solo "dance for your life" routine.
After the solo performances, the judges will then determine one male and one female finalist to send home from the competition, revealing the Top 18. If couples are split up due to the elimination decisions, the dancers who remain will form new couples.
- Alexa Anderson, a 19-year-old contemporary dancer from Chandler, AZ
- Lindsay Arnold, an 18-year-old Latin ballroom dancer from Provo, UT
- Daniel Baker, a 24-year-old ballet dancer from Newcastle, Australia
- Witney Carson, an 18-year-old Latin ballroom dancer from American Fork, UT
- Nick Bloxsom-Carter, a 20-year-old ballroom dancer from Oak Park, CA
- Audrey Case, an 18-year-old jazz dancer from Edmond, OK
- Janaya French, a 20-year-old lyrical contemporary dancer from Aurora, CA
- Eliana Girard, a 21-year-old contemporary ballet dancer from West Palm Beach, FL
- Cole Horibe, a 26-year-old martial arts fusion dancer from Honolulu, HI
- Janelle Issis, a 24-year-old belly dancer from Birmingham, AL
- Amber Jackson, a 21-year-old contemporary dancer from Atlanta, GA
- Matthew Kazmierczak, a 21-year-old contemporary dancer from Peoria, AZ
- Dareian Kujawa, a 20-year-old contemporary dancer from St. Paul, MN
- George Lawrence II, a 19-year-old contemporary dancer from Decatur, GA
- Amelia Lowe, an 18-year-old contemporary dancer from Butler, NJ
- Tiffany Maher, a 19-year-old jazz dancer from Plantation, FL
- Brandon Mitchell, a 27-year-old stepping dancer from Kansas City, KS
- Cyrus Spencer, a 22-year-old animation/robotics dancer from Duluth, GA
- Will Thomas, a 19-year-old contemporary dancer from Troy, MI
- Chehon Wespi-Tschopp, a 23-year-old ballet dancer from Zurich, Switzerland
DISCUSS AND COMMENT ON THIS STORY Reality TV World now offers Facebook Comments on our stories. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then 'Add' your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the 'X' in the upper right corner of the comment box. Get more Reality TV World! Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or add our RSS feed.