'Shedding for the Wedding' announces its nine competing couples
By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 01/17/2011
The CW has announced the nine overweight couples who will be competing in Shedding for the Wedding, which will premiere on Wednesday, February 23 at 9PM ET/PT.
Hosted by Sara Rue, the reality competition will follow the teams as they attempt to lose the unwanted weight and also win a dream wedding.
Similar to NBC's The Biggest Loser, the contestants will all live together during the three-month competition and each Shedding for the Wedding episode will feature a physical challenge that will give them a chance to win wedding-themed prizes such as invitations, rings and cake.
In addition, the couples will work with trainers and nutritionists as well as meet with wedding planners who will help them organize their big day.
Each episode will conclude with the couples participating in a weigh-in, and the one that loses the least amount of combined weight for that week will be eliminated. The last couple standing will win a "fantasy wedding that America will attend," according to The CW.
Shedding for the Wedding is being produced by Horizon Alternative Television and Raquel Productions Inc. and executive produced by Dave Broome -- who also serves as an executive producer on The Biggest Loser -- and former Pimp My Ride producers Rick Hurvitz and Ari Shofet.
- "Team Fairy Tale" - Allison and David got engaged in December 2009 and are from Auburn, NY. Allison is a 28-year-old beginning the competition weighing 170 pounds, while David is a 26-year-old starting the competition at 265 pounds.
- "Team Fun and Games" - Dawn and Adam got engaged early in 2010 and are from Hayward, CA. Dawn is a 27-year-old beginning the competition weighing 180 pounds, while Adam is a 30-year-old starting the competition at 235 pounds.
- "Team Hollywood" - Laeresa and Stephen aren't engaged yet and are from Hawthorne, CA. Laeresa is a 25-year-old beginning the competition weighing 212 pounds, while Stephen is a 24-year-old starting the competition at 263 pounds.
- "Team Football" - Laura and Austin got engaged in November 2009 and are from Champaign, IL. Laura is a 26-year-old beginning the competition weighing 190 pounds, while Austin is a 26-year-old starting the competition at 260 pounds.
- "Team Greek Week" - Lindsey and Chase got engaged in November 2009 and are from Houston, TX. Lindsey is a 23-year-old beginning the competition weighing 203 pounds, while Chase is a 24-year-old starting the competition at 317 pounds.
- "Team Eco-Lovers" Samantha and Brooks got engaged in January 2010 and are from New Hampshire, OH. Samantha is a 22-year-old beginning the competition weighing 221 pounds, while Brooks is a 22-year-old starting the competition at 315 pounds.
- "Team Gamers" - Taylor and Peter got engaged in November 2009 and are from Arlington, TX. Taylor is a 23-year-old beginning the competition weighing 228 pounds, while Peter is a 28-year-old starting the competition at 210 pounds.
- "Team Big Band" - Valerie and David got engaged in January 2010 and are from North Hollywood, CA. Valerie is a 23-year-old beginning the competition weighing 230 pounds, while David is a 27-year-old starting the competition at 367 pounds.
- "Team Beach Romance" - Virginia and Marc got engaged in July 2010 and are from Babylon, NY. Virginia is a 26-year-old beginning the competition weighing 179 pounds, while Marc is a 36-year-old starting the competition at 241 pounds.
DISCUSS AND COMMENT ON THIS STORY Reality TV World now offers Facebook Comments on our stories. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then 'Add' your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the 'X' in the upper right corner of the comment box. Get more Reality TV World! Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or add our RSS feed.