Lauren Conrad confirms she will return to MTV in new reality series
By Reality TV World staff, 09/24/2010
Lauren Conrad has confirmed she will be returning to MTV in a new reality series that will focus on her work life.
"I have some stuff I'm working on, but I'm not really allowed to talk about it," the formerThe Hillsstar told Ryan Seacrest during a Friday morning appearance on his syndicated On-Air with Ryan Seacrest radio show.
"Okay, well, MTV has just Blackberry'd me and said 'We are so excited to be working with her again' ... so we can say its safe to assume then, if the network is saying it, that you're probably going to be on TV soon," Seacrest replied.
"It would be safe, yeah," Conrad admitted. "You're going to get me in trouble, I was told specifically not to talk about this! Details will come out next week."
However Seacrest continued to press Conrad for details, causing the reality star turned best-selling novelist and clothing designer to confirm the new show will be "something very, very different" than The Hills and focus on her professional life.
"I'm sorry, I feel like I'm going to get in trouble... they were literally, 'Do not talk about [it],'" she said. [But] if I were going to do a reality show, it'd probably start [filming] sometime in October."
Conrad left The Hills -- which MTV ended after six seasons earlier this year -- during its fifth season in 2009, ending a five-year period in which the 24-year-old starred on bothThe Hills and its Laguna Beach predecessor, which followed her as a 17-year-old high school senior in Laguna Beach, CA.
"It's bittersweet," Conrad told Us Weekly at the time, explaining thatThe Hills had been made things difficult on her "off-camera" romantic relationship with actor Kyle Howard, who she is still dating.
"I've spent the last five years making every decision be about the show. People I date have to be able to film, the places I work have to let us film and the places I live have to have set lighting. I'm ready to do things on my own. I loved doing it and had so much fun, but it came to a point where I had done it long enough."
However Conrad had admitted that while she didn't see herself participating in another The Hills-like series again, she wasn't ruling out doing another reality show in the future -- a point she reiterated to Seacrest on Friday.
"I've always been open to doing reality again, it's just under certain circumstances. I think as long as you have a separation then it works. You have your personal life and your work life, and when they're combined it's difficult," she told Seacrest.
"So it's safe to say this will follow more of your career?" Seacrest asked.
"If there was a show, yes, it would follow my career.... Kyle would not be in it," she replied. "Everyone will know what's going on next week when they make the official announcement."
Conrad had also hinted at a possible reality return during an interview with Us Weekly earlier this month.
"The only way I'd return to reality TV would be if it allowed me to decide when the cameras stop," she told Us, which had reported Conrad was shopping a new reality project to several networks but declining to comment on it.
(Photo credit MTV)
DISCUSS AND COMMENT ON THIS STORY Reality TV World now offers Facebook Comments on our stories. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then 'Add' your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the 'X' in the upper right corner of the comment box. Get more Reality TV World! Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or add our RSS feed.