Reality TV World People News   Ratings News   Scheduling News   Application News   Spoiler News
Show Updates   Features & Interviews   Image Gallery   Message Boards   Shows Listing

HOME > Jon & Kate Plus 8

Judge grants TLC injunction against Jon Gosselin appearances


By Christopher Rocchio, 12/10/2009 

Jon Gosselin will have to take a break from getting paid to be in the public eye.

ADVERTISEMENT
Montgomery County Circuit Judge Michael D. Mason granted TLC a preliminary injunction on Thursday that forces the former Jon & Kate Plus 8 star from making media appearances and endorsements because the network claims they violate his contract, The Associated Press reported.

While Gosselin lost the battle at Thursday's hearing, his lawyer Mark Heller is confident his client will win the war.

"Jon Gosselin holds the key to the Jon & Kate Plus 8 brand," Heller told The AP, adding TLC should be anxious to settle the lawsuit so the reality show can resume filming.

TLC filed the lawsuit against Gosselin in October and has accused him of committing "numerous breaches" of the exclusivity clause and violating several other provisions of the April 2008 Jon & Kate Plus 8 contract the family had most recently signed with the network.

TLC Chief Operating Officer Edward Sabin testified during the hearing that Gosselin has made numerous media appearances -- including his October appearance on CNN's Larry King Live -- and endorsements that aren't permitted under his contract, according to The AP, which added Gosselin's lawyers argued the contract allows for certain media appearances.

While Mason said they could ask him to modify his injunction he did not read the contract the same way as Gosselin's legal team.

In addition, Sabin complained that Gosselin drank alcohol and hung out with women in public -- going against Jon & Kate Plus 8's family image -- while also making comments about the show and network that were embarrassing.

Specifically, Sabin referenced a Gosselin-hosted pool party at Las Vegas' MGM Grand Hotel that TLC told him not to do.

"What we wanted to avoid was exactly what happened," said Sabin, according to The AP. "The next day in the tabloids were photos of Mr. Gosselin surrounded by bikini-clad women."

Sabin also reiterated the lawsuit's accusation that Gosselin also followed through on a threat to end Jon & Kate Plus 8 by suddenly claiming it was "detrimental" to his children after the network refused to release him from an exclusivity contract clause that was preventing him from earning "substantial" money by appearing on other television shows.

While Sabin added TLC didn't believe Gosselin's concern for his children was genuine, the network decided to halt production per his objections.

Gosselin was not in attendance at Thursday's hearing and Heller didn't directly participate in legal proceedings, according to The AP, which added the lawyer was still a frequent topic of conversation during Sabin's testimony -- as he said relations between TLC and Gosselin worsened after Heller began representing him.

Gosselin has filed a $5 million counterclaim lawsuit against the network -- claiming TLC hindered his ability to make money by preventing him from working with other media outlets due to an exclusivity clause in his contract with the network.

Heller said Gosselin should be allowed to earn money as a media personality -- especially now that TLC aired its final Jon & Kate Plus 8 episode last month.

"[TLC is trying] to preclude him from going out and trying to support his eight children," Heller told The AP.

The preliminary injunction was granted pending the outcome of an April 19 trial.

A Maryland judge ruled Thursday that Jon Gosselin must stop making media appearances and endorsements the TLC network claim violate his contract — like a Las Vegas pool party with bikini-clad women the celebrity dad recently hosted .

Montgomery County Circuit Judge Michael D. Mason granted TLC a preliminary injunction, pending the outcome of an April 19 trial. 

Gosselin's lawyer Mark Heller said he was confident Gosselin would eventually win the case and suggested TLC, owned by Silver Spring-based Discovery Communications, should be anxious to settle so they can resume the reality show "Jon & Kate Plus 8."

The show ended recently amid the legal dispute and the Gosselins' pending divorce.

Jon Gosselin holds the key to the 'Jon & Kate Plus 8' brand," Heller said.



(Photo credit TLC)


DISCUSS AND COMMENT ON THIS STORY
Reality TV World now offers Facebook Comments on our stories. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then 'Add' your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the 'X' in the upper right corner of the comment box.

Get more Reality TV World! Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or add our RSS feed.












Take Our User Survey





Page generated in 0.033360004425049 seconds
About Reality TV World   •   Advertise on Reality TV World  •   Contact Reality TV World  •   Privacy Policy   •   RSS Feed