Fox reveals 'American Idol' Top 20 songwriting competition songs
By Christopher Rocchio, 04/14/2008
Fox has announced the Top 20 finalists for the seventh-season American Idolsongwriting contest that will find the tune that will serve as the seventh-season winner's first single.
Thousands of submitted entries were recently narrowed to the Top 20 by Idol creator Simon Fuller and his 19 Entertainment staff. Fans can vote for their favorite song via Idol's website from now until April 23.
The selection that receives the most fan votes will be revealed and performed during the first night of Idol'sseventh-season finale on Tuesday, May 20. In addition, the winning song will be published through 19 Recordings.
"This Is My Now," a ballad written by Seattle residents Scott Krippayne and Jeff Peabody, won Idol's sixth-season songwriting contest. It went on to become the first single on Jordin Sparks' self-titled debut album and peaked at No. 15 on the Billboard Hot 100 single sales chart.
The Top 20 seventh-season finalists are:
- "Align" by James Smithson
- "All You Will Need" by Lauren Dion and Phil Minardi
- "Believe" by John Buchanan
- "Dream Big" by Emily Shackelton
- "Faith" by Zach Ziskin
- "Fly Me Away" by Scott Sheets
- "Here I Am" by Tom Kitt, Matt Zarley and Andy Zulla
- "In This Moment" by Ryan Gillmor
- "No Turning Back" by Luke Ebbin and Curt Schneider
- "Only Love" by Ken Stacey, Windy Wagner and David Walsh
- "Overcome" by Mark Holman
- "Something Like Heaven" by Aaron Sidwell
- "Stronger" by Jason Phelps and Mendy Shaw
- "Thank You Whatever Comes" by Fran Lucci, Danny Powers and Dara Stewart
- "The Time of My Life" by Regie Hamm
- "We're Gonna Make It" by Noel Cohen, Hugh Colocott and Amber Rhodes
- "When You Come From Nothing" by Will Hopkins
- "You Believe in Me" by David Barrett, Kurt Schreitmueller and Dan Yessian
- "You Believed in Me" by Perry Smith
- "You Can Do Anything" by Gail Farrell, Mark Gasbarro and Larry Kenton