E! canceling Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie's 'The Simple Life'
By Christopher Rocchio and Steve Rogers, 07/30/2007
Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie's stint as reality television stars is apparently coming to an end. E! Network has announced that it has decided not to renew The Simple Life for a sixth season.
"The Simple Life has been a wonderful addition to the E! schedule for two years and we will always be grateful to Paris and Nicole for their hard work and graciousness," E! said in a statement released Monday afternoon, according to E! News.
"We felt like the real life drama of their lives overshadowed anything happening on the show," an "insider" told Us in explaining why The Simple Life was canned. "Viewers would see Paris all day long on the news about her going to jail, so they didn't care about seeing her camping with kids. It just was too played out."
The Simple Life's cancellation isn't a complete shock. Earlier this month, E! Networks president and CEO Ted Harbert had told reporters attending the Television Critics Association summer press tour that Hilton and Richie's run-ins with the legal system -- as well as the attention they've garnered for it -- had hurt the show instead of helping it.
"We all thought the publicity would help the show; we were wrong. It's not doing well [in the ratings]," Habert told reporters, according to Television Week. "People watch it because they want to see what's going on with Paris Hilton. But now everybody's covering what's really going on with Paris Hilton. It makes the show seem contrived by comparison."
"I'm not sure we're going to do any more. You can say it's a 50-50 chance," Habert said. "In fact, you can say it's 51-49 against."
DISCUSS AND COMMENT ON THIS STORY Reality TV World now offers Facebook Comments on our stories. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then 'Add' your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the 'X' in the upper right corner of the comment box. Get more Reality TV World! Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or add our RSS feed.