During his show debut last week, Derek and Sharna finished in a three-way tie for seventh place on the leaderboard after they received 18 out of 30 possible points from the judges for their salsa routine.
Derek has natural rhythm, so he will probably do very well in the Season 25 competition. Curious to learn more about him?
Below is a list of 5 facts Reality TV World has compiled about Derek Fisher:
- Derek spent his entire pre-NBA life in Little Rock, AR. A stand-out guard in high school, he starred for Parkview Arts and Science Magnet High.
- In 1996, Derek was drafted by the Los Angeles Lakers and went on to play more than 18 seasons in the NBA -- a majority with the Lakers, with whom he won 5 NBA Championships.
- Derek is the all-time NBA record holder in Playoff games played. While playing for the Lakers, he hit a buzzer beater with 0.4 second left in Game 5 of the 2004 Western Conference Semifinals against the San Antonio Spurs, which the NBA lists as the 18th-greatest Playoff moment of all time.
- The DWTS contestant created a camp experience for children and teens. In 2009, he also launched the Derek Fisher Basketball Academy, which is dedicated and focused on developing the basketball, leadership and life skills of each camper.
- Derek was hired to serve as the New York Knicks' head coach in 2014. He became one of the only players to get a head coaching job in the NBA directly from playing.
In 2016, he moved back to Los Angeles to work as a broadcaster, making appearances on TNT, NBA TV and Spectrum SportsNet.