Constantine Maroulis becomes the seventh 'American Idol 4' finalist to be eliminated
By Reality TV World staff, 04/28/2005
In a shocking development, Fox's American Idol voted out the seventh of its twelve finalists during last night's results show, with Constantine Maroulis, a 29-year-old from New York, NY, being eliminated from the reality talent competition as a result of receiving the fewest audience votes.
Constantine, considered one of the favorites to win the competition, had entertained the audience by singing Nickelback's "How U Remind Me" during Tuesday's "Songs of the 2000s" themed American Idol 4 performance show.
Joining Constantine in the week's bottom three vote-getters were Anthony Fedorov, a 19-year-old from Trevose, PA, and Vonzell Solomon, a 20-year-old from Ft. Myers, FL. Scott Savol, a 28-year-old from Shaker Heights, OH resident who had fallen into the bottom three for three weeks running following the late March discovery of a domestic assault incident in his background, managed to rank as one of the week's top three vote-getters despite (or because?) judge Simon Cowell telling him to "pack his bags" following a poor Tuesday night performance.
"This seems to happen every single season," said a clearly upset judge Paula Abdul after Constantine's elimination was announced. "I can't even speak, I'm so shocked." Weeping openly, she added "I think you're such a star."
"I have no regrets," said Constantine. "I'm gonna keep rocking." "Crazier things have happened in my life, and I'm just really blessed to have gotten this far."
Last week, KOCH Records, the independent record label that released last year's William Hung album, announced that it will release "Pray for the Soul of Betty," the self-titled debut album of Constantine's former New York-based rock band, on May 10. Recorded in 2003 and 2004 and featuring Constantine on vocals, Joao Joya on guitar, Taylor, C.R. on bass and Hamboussi on drums, the album was completed before the now eliminated American Idol finalist decided to try out for the Fox show.
Next week will see another of Idol's finalists eliminated, with the five remaining contestants once again taking the stage during Tuesday's 8-9PM ET/PT performance show and later learning their fate during Wednesday's 9PM ET/PT live results show.
The five contestants still competing in Fox's American Idol 4 finals are:
• Anthony Fedorov, a 19-year-old from Trevose, PA (Auditioned in Cleveland) - Born in the Ukraine, Anthony Fedorov is in his third semester at Bucks County Community College near Trevose, PA, and is pursuing his singing career in New York City. On weekends, you can find Anthony performing in Brooklyn at Tatiana's. Anthony is a ballad singer who loves to be active and enjoys playing various sports.
• Bo Bice, a 29-year-old from Helena, AL (Auditioned in Orlando) - Bo Bice is a native of Alabama and currently lives in Birmingham, AL. He has performed in shows all across the USA, UK and Ireland after starting his career at the age of 9 in a local school competition. Bo has performed with many bands, which helped mold him into the singer he is today. He has opened for Blackfoot and Warrant, and has performed live and recorded with Jonny Neal of the Allman Brothers.
• Carrie Underwood, a 21-year-old from Checotah, OK (Auditioned in St. Louis) - Carrie Underwood, who was born and raised in Checotah, OK, has spent her entire life on a farm. Currently, Carrie is a senior at Northeastern State University, studying mass communications. Carrie is the youngest of three sisters and plays guitar and piano. She loves animals and rescues strays from the surrounding area.
• Scott Savol, a 28-year-old from Shaker Heights, OH (Auditioned in Cleveland) - Born and raised in Cleveland, Scott Savol, the second of four children, has been singing since he was 5 years old. He is the proud father of 4-year-old Brandon Scott Savol. Scott also plays the trumpet and knows his way around the piano. He has performed at city festivals and church and school functions.
• Vonzell Solomon, a 20-year-old from Ft. Meyers, FL (Auditioned in Orlando) - Vonzell was born in Baxley, GA, and moved to Fort Myers, FL, when she was a few months old. She went to Cypress Lake Center for the Arts high school and has recorded a CD. Vonzell has one sister and two brothers. Her dad is a martial arts instructor and Vonzell is a black belt in sembact martial arts (a combination of karate, jujitsu and tae kwon do).