Brooke Burke: Misty May-Treanor is out of 'Dancing with the Stars'
By Steve Rogers, 10/06/2008
ABC may be trying to keep the status of Misty May-Treanor's injury under wraps until tonight's Dancing with the Stars broadcast, however someone apparently forgot to give fellow competitor Brooke Burke the message.
"It's such a sad situation, they're doing a [video] package for the show so I don't know if it's all confirmed yet, but she did hurt her Achilles tendon," Burke told KBIG-FM's Valentine in the Morning radio show during a Monday interview. "I don't know if she tore it or she ruptured it... [but] she's out of the competition, I mean, just like that."
May-Treanor -- who has been competing with professional partner Maksim Chmerkovskiy -- suffered her injury on Friday. ABC had confirmed the Olympic gold medalist beach volleyball player's injury in a media statement released on Saturday but stated her condition would be reevaluated on Monday.
"Despite previous reports, she did not break her ankle," the network stated in the Saturday media statement. "She is resting comfortably at home. Doctors will reevaluate her condition on Monday and determine the outcome of her participation on the show."
Given her occupation, the injury also has professional implications for May-Treanor.
"The sad thing about Misty is forget about the competition, you know this is her jumping mechanism, so we're all really concerned for her," Burke told the radio show. "She may be having surgery this week, we don't know yet, but it's such a bummer. She heard a pop so it's really serious."
ABC is expected to formally announce May-Treanor's status during tonight's Dancing with the Stars performance show.
Assuming Burke's information is correct, this wouldn't be the first time ABC has tried to keep a Dancing with the Stars contestant's withdrawal under wraps.
In October 2006, Sara Evans surprised the show by publicly announcing she was quitting Dancing with the Stars' third season hours after she filed for divorce from Craig Schelske, her husband of thirteen years.
However rather than acknowledging Evans' announcement, ABC began airing on-air promos that presented Evans' departure as "rumors" and urged viewers to watch Dancing with the Stars' next performance episode to find out whether she was "really leaving."
Evans' departure came with only six celebrities still remaining in the competition. After she withdrew, Dancing with the Stars asked Willa Ford -- the celebrity who had been eliminated on the season's most recent results show -- to return to the show and take Evans' place, however she declined the offer.
Instead, all five remaining couples performed during Dancing with the Stars' next performance show and ABC ended the week's results show with a surprise announcement that no one would be eliminated.
When asked by the show's hosts, Burke indicated she thinks Dancing with the Stars to use a similar non-elimination week to address May-Treanor's departure.
"I don't know [but] I think so because they still need to have the same amount of shows," Burke said. "I heard that [Edyta Sliwinska] and Maks may be dancing together since both their partners are gone [but] not competing of course but we all wish that we could do what they do, but I don't know what's going to happen."
"I would imagine from a producers' standpoint they'll probably, you know, do down to the Final 2 and [start to say] 'Your going home' [but then say] 'You are safe' -- you know how they do it."