'Southern Charm' star Thomas Ravenel quits show following sexual assault allegations
By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 08/17/2018
Southern Charm star Thomas Ravenel has announced he is quitting the show.
The former politician announced Tuesday he will not be returning for Season 6 of Southern Charmon Bravo.
"I'm not doing the show anymore," Thomas tweeted. "In the contract they have the right to fictionalize your story. They took advantage of me. I decided I've got too much to lose and informed them I'm not coming back."
Thomas' decision to leave the series follows recent allegations of a "sex offense" and "forcible rape" against him by a woman, according toPeople.
Back in May, the magazine revealed a victim had reported the alleged January 2015 incidents to Charleston, SC, police.
"Nanny Dawn," the former caretaker of Thomas' four-year-old daughter Kensie and two-year-old son Saint, claims to be the person who came forward with the accusations of a sex crime.
"Nanny Dawn" reportedly said she broke her silence after hearing the story of a local real estate agent, Ashley Perkins, who publicly accused Thomas of assaulting her mother, Debbie Holloway Perkins, after they had met for a Tinder date in October 2015.
Thomas, 55, has denied all of the allegations against him.
"My client enjoys a certain degree of fame, which has unfortunately made him a vulnerable target for such claims," Thomas' lawyer, Richard P. Terbrusch, told People in a statement.
"The person this woman describes is simply not the man that I know. My client is a loving father, successful businessman, and upright member of the community. He is appalled and hurt by these allegations -- and is committed to defending his reputation in the appropriate legal forum."
Thomas chose not to participate in the filming of Southern Charm's fifth-season reunion special earlier this summer, but his then-girlfriend, Ashley Jacobs, attended the taping to defend him.
"I have seen a new Thomas. I mean, it's humbling, of course, and now he's [like], 'Let's stay in, let's watch movies, let's cook dinner, let's just stay under the radar right now.' And I've just seen a much softer, more sensitive, kinder, more supportive boyfriend," Ashley gushed, according to People.
"You know, everyone wants to be with you when you're on top. Who's with you when you're down there? And I've told him, I've just said, 'I'm not leaving.'"
FOLLOW REALITY TV WORLD ON THE ALL-NEW GOOGLE NEWS!
Reality TV World is now available on the all-new Google News app and website. Click here to visit our Google News page, and then click FOLLOW to add us as a news source!
Ashley also expected Thomas to be cleared of any wrongdoing at the time, saying on the reunion special which aired in July, "It's all hearsay."
Ashley reportedly added, "I mean, he's not been charged with anything. These are just allegations. It used to be, you know, you're innocent until proven guilty. Now you're guilty until proven innocent."
Ashley, however, did decide to leave Thomas after all. She announced their split on Wednesday, admitting she has quite a bit to deal with privately.