Nikki Bella and John Cena have called off their engagement, less than one month before they were supposed to tie the knot.

ADVERTISEMENT
After six years together, the Total Divas star and American Grit host announced their shocking decision to call it quits on their relationship on Sunday.

"While this decision was a difficult one, we continue to have a great deal of love and respect for one another. We ask that you respect our privacy during this time in our lives," the exes said in a media statement obtained by Us Weekly.

John and Nikki, who competed on Season 25 Dancing with the Stars, were reportedly set to get married on May 5, 2018 in Mexico.

The former couple have been together since 2012, and their romance has been documented on E!'s Total Divas reality series and its Total Bellas spinoff, which premieres its third season May 20.

Last month, John hinted there may be trouble in paradise by explaining to Us relationships are "hard" and love is never easy.

"Love is beautiful, but we've had to come to the realization after being together for five years that love is not easy," Cena said at the time.

"We work every day on us. We have our problems just like everybody else. Some of our problems are very public, some of them aren't. But we work every day on us. Anytime I get upset, I always just realize that I can't live without her and I love her and that's why I cave in on a lot of stuff."

Nikki and John just celebrated at their engagement party in January, which was nine months after John proposed marriage in the middle of a wrestling ring at WrestleMania 33 in early April 2017.

"Such a wonderful, meaningful, emotional day yesterday with the woman of my dreams and both of our families," John tweeted the day after the bash. "I love you Nicole, you've made me realize the importance of togetherness."

Bella replied at the time, "Aww my Love... It was so magical. Love you too John. "