Charlie Walk to miss 'The Four' finale after harassment allegations surface
By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 02/01/2018
Charlie Walk will not participate in The Four finale on Fox next week following accusations of sexual misconduct.
Although Charlie will appear in the February 1 episode of The Four because the show was already previously filmed, the record label executive will not make an appearance on the show's February 8 finale due to recent startling allegations against him in connection with the "Me Too" movement, which supports survivors of sexual violence.
"Out of respect for the contestants, my fellow judges and everyone involved with the show, I have made the decision not to attend the finale of The Four. I do not want my presence to be a distraction," Charlie told Deadline Hollywood in a statement through his attorney, Patricia Glaser.
"Needless to say this is very upsetting. Although I continue to support the 'Me Too' movement, there has been an extreme rush to judgment against me in this particular case which is unfair and inconsistent with anything that even actually happened."
Charlie added, "I welcome any investigation so that in short order these unfounded and hurtful accusations can be put to rest."
Charlie was suspended by his Universal Music Group label, Republic Records, on January 31 after one woman named Tristan Coopersmith came forward with claims of inappropriate conduct on his part, Deadline Hollywood reported.
Charlie joined Republic Records in 2013 and was named president of the Republic Group in 2016.
"Republic Records is committed to a safe workplace environment where employees are treated fairly and respectfully," the company said in a statement obtained by Billboard.
"We have retained an outside law firm to conduct an independent investigation of this matter and have encouraged anyone who has relevant information to speak to the firm's investigators. Mr. Walk has been placed on leave, and will remain in leave for the duration of the investigation."
Tristan, founder of the Southern California wellness studio Life Lab, posted an open letter to Charlie on her company's website on Monday, alleging he had treated her inappropriately while he worked at Sony Music's Epic Records, a position he held from 2005-2009.
Tristan reportedly accused Charlie of making "lewd comments" about her body, sharing his sexual fantasies with her, sending sexually-explicit text messages, and groping her by placing his hand on her upper thigh at business dinners.
Tristan also claimed Charlie had drunkenly pushed her into his bedroom and onto his bed one night during an event at his home.
FOLLOW REALITY TV WORLD ON THE ALL-NEW GOOGLE NEWS!
Reality TV World is now available on the all-new Google News app and website. Click here to visit our Google News page, and then click FOLLOW to add us as a news source!
Shortly after Tristan's letter gained attention, Fox released a media statement saying they were "reviewing this matter and are committed to fostering a safe environment on all of our shows."
And hours after Fox made a statement, Charlie publicly called Tristan's accusations "untrue" and "false," according to Deadline Hollywood.
"It is very upsetting to learn of this untrue allegation made by someone who worked with me 15 years ago, without incident," Charlie said on Monday.
"There has never been a single [human resources] claim against me at any time during my 25-[plus] year career, spanning three major companies. I have consistently been a supporter of the womenâ€™s movement and this is the first time I have ever heard of this or any other allegation -- and it is false."
Despite the scandal, the winner of The Four's first season will still allegedly be rewarded a record deal with Republic Records, as previously announced.
The executives assigned to work with the show's winner will reportedly be determined by the label. The winning singer's career will also be guided and mentored by The Four's other expert panelists -- Sean "Diddy" Combs, DJ Khaled and Meghan Trainor.