'MasterChef' reveals the competition's Top 18 second-season finalists
By Reality TV World staff, 06/15/2011
MasterChefrevealed its Top 18 second-season finalists during Tuesday night's broadcast of the Fox culinary competition.
The 18 finalists were determined after MasterChef judges Gordon Ramsay, Joe Bastianich and Graham Elliot narrowed the competition's 38 remaining contestants to 18 via two tests in which the amateur cooks were required to perfectly chop apples and prepare any chicken dish of their choosing for the judges.
"To move on to the next stage of MasterChef, I want to see the next level of precision with your knife skills," Ramsay told the contestants before the apples test began.
"Precision, accuracy, and focus is what we're looking for," Bastianich added.
Fourteen contestants were eliminated during the apple test, including Dustin Gatward, a 24-year-old pool maintenance technician from Davenport, FL; Joseph Jayne, a 45-year-old construction foreman from Saint Cloud, FL; and Yi Lynne, a 36-year-old homemaker from Panama City, FL.
The 24 remaining contestants then moved on to the chicken test, which gave them an hour to prepare any type of chicken dish they wanted.
"This is America's most popular meat. "If you can not cook the most amazing chicken dish, there is no way on Earth you're ever going to call yourself a master chef," Ramsay said.
"The chicken should be the headline act, but make use of the supporting cast of ingredients [in the pantry]," Bastianich explained.
"We have everything you can think of, from infused oils, spices, herbs, vegetables [and more]," Elliot added.
After tasting the resulting dishes, the judges then eliminated six more finalists: Seby Joseph, an 18-year-old student from McAllen, TX; Albert Necaise, a 51-year-old truck driver from Kiln, MS; Kyle Manning, a catering account manager from Maysfield Heights, OH; Joey Stasolla, a 27-year-old business owner from Colorado Springs, CO; Rhonda Sweet, a 46-year-old produce company owner from Claremont, FL; and Aaron Thomas, a 22-year-old student from Jackson, MS.
The eliminations left 18 home cooks to compete in the competition:
- Jennifer Behm, a 34-year-old realtor from Wilmington, DE
- Erryn Cobb, a 26-year-old publicist from Chicago, IL
- Christian Collins, a 31-year-old stay-at-home dad from Gloucester, MA
- Christine Corley, a 27-year-old single mom from Sopchoppy, FL
- Esther Kang, a 28-year-old lawyer from Los Angeles, CA
- Jennie Kelley, a 37-year-old musician from Dallas, TX
- Tracy Kontos, a 32-year-old sales consultant from Coral Springs, FL
- Max Kramer, an 18-year-old student from New York, NY
- Angel Moore-Soukkay, a 37-year-old property manager from Columbus, OH
- Giuseppe Morisco, a 38-year-old granite salesman from Chicago, IL
- Adrien Nieto, a 28-year-old server from Ventura, CA
- Derrick Prince, a 33-year-old web designer from Long Island, NY
- Mark Raffaelli, a 35-year-old real estate broker from Chicago, IL
- Alejandra Schrader, a 37-year-old architect from Playa del Rey, CA
- Alvin Schultz, a 28-year-old retail manager Houston, TX
- Tony Scruggs, a 51-year-old truck driver from Grant Park, IL
- Suzy Singh, a 27-year-old neural engineer from Chicago, IL
- Ben Starr, a 33-year-old travel writer from Dallas, TX
(Photo credit Fox)
DISCUSS AND COMMENT ON THIS STORY Reality TV World now offers Facebook Comments on our stories. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then 'Add' your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the 'X' in the upper right corner of the comment box. Get more Reality TV World! Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or add our RSS feed.