'Jon & Kate' star Jon Gosselin files request to suspend divorce filing
By Christopher Rocchio, 09/30/2009
Jon Gosselin has submitted a document with the hope of delaying his divorce from Kate.
The document was filed Tuesday with a Pennsylvania court-approved arbitrator and if approved it would suspend his pending divorce from Kate for 90 days, Jon told In Touch Weekly in the magazine's newest issue, according to a press announcement obtained by The Huffington Post.
"This will enable Kate and me to restore our relationship as cooperative parents and to open up our lines of communication," Jon toldIn Touch about the filing. "I hope that she will be as receptive and enthusiastic as I am to do what is best for our family."
The couple's no-fault divorce filing was originally slated to be finalized this fall, however Jon now says he wants to delay it for the sake of his kids.
"I would like to get back with Kate as a partner in parenting," Jon told In Touch.
"Even though we were heading for a divorce, it appeared that Kate had been suffering from this divorce as much as I had. That's why I asked my attorney to put the brakes on this divorce so I could try to regain control over the future of our family. So Kate and I could join on a cooperative course that would benefit our family -- not destroy it."
In addition, Jon expressed remorse for the way he has been conducting himself since he and Kate separated -- behavior that has been so odd that it previously led Kate to claim he had been abducted by aliens.
"I regret my conduct since Kate and I separated. I used poor judgment in publicly socializing with other women so soon," he told In Touch before reiterating his previous claims that Kate had told him their marriage was over last October and he had subsequently had a hard time dealing with it.
"When Kate broke up with me, I begged her to go with me to counseling. She was totally against it. I think I was reacting to the pain I have been suffering as a result of Kate's rejection of me."
Jon's attorney told In Touch that the filing with the arbitrator is an attempt to make peace with Kate.
"He is hoping to inspire his wife to become less rigid, inflexible and controlling and open up," attorney Mark Jay Heller told In Touch. "We're hoping Jon and Kate can sit down together and start exploring what to do about their situation. Once they do that, the rest will fall into place."
Jon recently stated he now "despises" Kate, and Heller said comments like that eventually helped Jon realize he didn't like the public persona he had created.
"He woke up one morning, looked in the mirror and didn't like the reflection," Heller told In Touch. "He realized he'd made some bad choices."
A source close to the situation told E! News on Tuesday that Jon's decision to file the document with an arbitrator was "not an emotional or romantic decision."
"[It was] both a legal and PR strategy meant to force Kate to deal with Jon on many important issues relating to the welfare of his children," the source told E! News.
Kate stated that her marriage to Jon is definitely over during an August appearance on Live With Regis and Kelly, and it has also previously been reported that she will seek full custody of their eight kids.
Jon's filing came on the same day that TLC announced plans to relaunchJon & Kate Plus 8 as a Kate-focused series that will be retitled Kate Plus 8 and feature Jon on a "less regular basis" beginning November 2.
DISCUSS AND COMMENT ON THIS STORY Reality TV World now offers Facebook Comments on our stories. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then 'Add' your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the 'X' in the upper right corner of the comment box. Get more Reality TV World! Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or add our RSS feed.