CBS reveals 'Survivor: Redemption Island' cast, confirms returnees
By Reality TV World staff, 01/10/2011
CBS has announced the identities of 16 of the 18 the castaways who will be competing on Survivor: Redemption Island and confirmed rumors that the 22nd Survivor edition's cast will also feature two additional returning all-star contestants.
Survivor: Redemption Island -- which CBS formally announced during Survivor: Nicaragua's reunion show last month -- will premiere on Wednesday, February 16 at 8PM ET/PT and feature a new game-changing twist in which castaways who are voted out of the competition will get an opportunity to earn "redemption" and return at a later date.
Instead of being eliminated from the game after being voted off at Tribal Council, a castaway will be taken to Redemption Island, where they will live alone in exile until the next voted-off castaway joins them at the site.
Once a second castaway arrives, the two castaways will then compete in a "duel" challenge and winner will get to continue fighting for "redemption" while the loser will be eliminated from the competition for good. At an undisclosed point, the Redemption Island's exiled castaway will get to return to the main game and resume competing for Survivor: Redemption Island's $1,000,000 prize with the remaining contestants.
While CBS won't formally reveal the identities of Survivor: Redemption Island's two returning castaways until later this week, rumors that Survivor: Redemption Island -- which was filmed back-to-back with Survivor: Nicaragua in Nicaragua during August and September -- would feature a rematch between Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains all-stars Russell Hantz and Rob Mariano have swirled since last summer.
Survivor host Jeff Probst had even publicly voiced his support for the rumored twist at the Television Critics Association press tour in late July.
"Oh, I love that twist. I'm all for that," he told HitFix.
Survivor: Redemption Island will begin with the competition's 18 castaways -- more than half of whom are from California -- evenly divided into two tribes: the Ometepe tribe and the Zapatera tribe. Each tribe will also contain one of the two all-stars.
The eight first-time members of the Ometepe tribe are:
- Andrea Boehlke, a 21-year-old student from Random Lake, WI
- Matt Elrod, a 22-year-old pre-med student from Nashville, TN
- Francesca Hogi, a 36-year-old attorney from Washington, DC
- Kristina Kell, a 46-year-old law student from Malibu, CA
- Grant Mattos, a 29-year-old yoga instructor and former NFL football player from West Hollywood, CA
- Phillip Sheppard, a 52-year-old technology executive and former federal agent from Santa Monica, CA
- Natalie Tenerelli, a 19-year-old professional dancer from Acton, CA
- Ashley Underwood, a 25-year-old nurse and former Miss Maine USA from Benton, ME
The eight first-time members of the Zapatera tribe are:
- Mike Chiesl, a 31-year-old former U.S. Marine from Del Mar, CA
- Ralph Kiser, a 44-year-old farmer from Lebanon, VA
- Krista Klumpp, a 25-year-old pharmaceutical representative from Columbia, SC
- David Murphy, a 31-year-old defense attorney from West Hollywood, CA
- Stephanie Valencia, a 25-year-old waitress from Long Beach, CA
- Sarita White, a 36-year-old visual effects producer from Santa Monica, CA
- Julie Wolfe, a 50-year-old firefighter from Oceanside, CA
- Steve Wright, a 51-year-old former NFL player from Huntington, CA
DISCUSS AND COMMENT ON THIS STORY Reality TV World now offers Facebook Comments on our stories. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then 'Add' your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the 'X' in the upper right corner of the comment box. Get more Reality TV World! Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or add our RSS feed.