In each one-hour episode, the stylists will face two challenges: the short cut challenge, which will test their technical hairstyling skills; and the elimination challenge, which will test their creativity and advanced skills. Challenges are also designed to test the stylists' ability to service clients, manage a staff and work as part of a team.
The 12 cast members featured on Shear Genius will be competing for the grand prize of $100,000 in seed money from Nexxus, an internship with the salon care company, and the opportunity to style hair for an Allure magazine feature.
Former Charlie's Angels television star Jaclyn Smith will reprise her Shear Genius hosting role, while accomplished stylist Rene Fris will once again serve as a mentor for the cast.
However the show's first-season judges -- hairstylist Sally Hershberger and Allure magazine fashion director Michael Carl -- will not be returning for the second season and were replaced by celebrity hairstylist Kim Vo and Allure beauty editor Kelly Atterton. An additional series of guest judges will also appear.
Bravo renewed Shear Genius in December, and the series is produced by Reveille Entertainment with Mark Koops, Julie Laughlin and Howard T. Owens serving as executive producers.
The 12 stylists competing on Shear Genius' second-season are:
- Charlie, a 38-year-old from Denver, CO
- Daniel, a 28-year-old from Tallahassee, FL who currently resides in Dallas, TX
- Dee, a 37-year-old from San Antonio, TX who currently resides in Miami, FL
- Gail, a 25-year-old from Dayton, OH who currently resides in Columbus, OH
- Glenn, a 36-year-old from Los Angeles, CA who currently resides in Decatur, AL
- Matthew, a 37-year-old from Dallas, TX
- Meredith, a 36-year-old from Cleveland, OH who currently resides in Chicago, IL
- Nekisa, a 29-year-old from San Francisco, CA who currently resides in Concord, CA
- Nicole, a 24-year-old from Houston, TX who currently resides in New York, NY
- Oshun, a 31-year-old from Cleveland, OH who currently resides in Los Angeles, CA