Albert and Anna were among the bottom two couples based on a combination of the judges' scores from Monday night's performance episode and home viewer votes cast following the broadcast. Entertainer Wayne Newton and professional partner Cheryl Burke were the other couple in the result show's bottom two.
While Dancing with the Stars' judges scored Albert and Anna's quickstep a 21 out of a possible 30 points and awarded Wayne and Cheryl's quickstep routine a 15 -- the lowest score of any of the 11 couples who performed -- Mr. Las Vegas apparently has a larger fan base than the male model, as he was saved to dance for at least another week.
When host Tom Bergeron revealed Albert and Anna were the second pair sent packing from the competition, the celebrity participant seemed shocked.
"It was amazing. It was a great time," said Albert. "I'm a little stunned... But we did the best we could. That's all you can ask for."
Following Albert and Anna's quickstep during Monday night's performance episode broadcast, Dancing with the Stars judge Carrie Ann Inaba praised Albert for the "exuberance" and "joy" he showed in the routine. Fellow judge Len Goodman was also impressed.
"I've got a feeling you are going to be the dark horse of this whole season," Len told Albert. "I wasn't expecting last week your Latin to be so exuberant. I wasn't expecting you to keep that hold and keep that posture." While Len also criticized Albert for too much "skipping," he didn't think it would hinder him in the competition. "What I do like is the fact you have so much potential. You'll get over that skipping."
Prior to revealing Albert and Anna were eliminated during last night's results show, Len was baffled the couple was in the bottom two.
"I'm absolutely surprised," said Len. "I thought he was just coming really, really well now. His performances are really good -- he's got a great teacher with Anna, he's got to work on his technique -- and I could see him going on for weeks and weeks."
IndyCar racer Helio Castroneves was the highest scoring celebrity participant, receiving a 27 with professional partner Julianne Hough for their mambo. Hot on their heels was last week's top scorer -- Disney's The Cheetah Girls star Sabrina Bryan and professional partner Mark Ballas -- who for the second week in a row scored a 26.
Early in last night's broadcast, Tom also revealed that Jane and Tony were safe from elimination based on a combination of the judges' scores and home viewer votes. Jane wasn't in attendance at the live result show because her 92-year-old mother Mieke Frankenberg died yesterday morning due to complications from a stroke she suffered earlier this year.
"Jane got the devastating news her mom passed away in England. She's gone back to be with her family," said Tom. "One of the main reasons why Jane decided to do the show was because her mom was such a big fan of the British version, which brought her a lot of joy while she was ill... We can reveal that once the votes were counted, Jane and Tony are safe to dance again next week. Furthermore, we're happy to say Jane has decided to stay in the competition in tribute of her mother's memory."
Finishing just ahead of Wayne and Cheryl on the judges' scorecard was billionaire entrepreneur and former The Benefactor star Mark Cuban and professional partner Kym Johnson with an 18. Prior to revealing they'd be safe to dance another week, Dancing with the Stars judge Bruno Tonioli had some words of wisdom for Wayne.
"Wayne, warmth and personality really make him an American legend. It's undeniable," said Bruno during last night's broadcast. "But this season, the competition is harder than ever. You stay in, focus on the technique. Technique, technique, technique. Cheryl will help you. She's the best."
Dancing with the Stars 5's third performance episode will air Monday, October 8 at 8PM ET/PT on ABC. On Tuesday, October 9 at 9PM ET/PT, another couple will be eliminated from the competition based on a combination of the judges' scores and home viewer votes.