World Idol News
In a surprise upset, Norwegian Pop Idol Kurt Nilsen, a former plumber, defeated competition favorites Kelly Clarkson and Will Young and won World Idol's clash of the world's Idols.
WARNING: The following story contains spoilers as to the winner and finish orders of the World Idol results show which will air on FOX and CTV in the U.S. and Canada this evening. If you do not wish to know this information, please stop reading right now.
Was World Idol a ratings smash? Or was it a flop? The answer depends upon the country from which you were watching.
Although we have no idea what the final cut of World Idol, to be broadcast by Fox and CTV on Christmas Day, contains, we have now received a number of reports about the taping sessions on December 17. If you can picture a judging panel made up of 11 Simon Cowells, you've got the right image.
If, as rumored, Pete Waterman becomes a judge for Fox's American Idol 3, he's got some growing up to do first.
Who stars in World Idol -- the national winners or the national judges?
On December 17, the upcoming worldwide holiday special World Idol was taped in London ... but bigger news broke off-stage. Chartbusting superstar Elton John agreed to appear on the World Idol results show, which will be aired on January 1 in the United States (on Fox, from 9-10 PM) and Canada (on CTV, from 8-9 PM) -- the same day that it takes place in London.
FOX has announced that Simon Cowell will serve as America's representative on the upcoming World Idol judging panel. According to reports, Cowell was given the choice to either represent either FOX's American Idol program or the U.K.'s original Pop Idol program (where he still also serves as a judge) and opted to represent the American edition on the international judging panel.
Pop Idol creator Simon Fuller has finally achieved his dream: a one-night face-off among winners of Pop Idol versions from around the world, to be called World Idol.
Daily Variety (registration required) reports that the U.K. Pop Idol concept has been sold to two more countries: Croatia, to be broadcast on TV Nova, and Serbia and Montenegro (formerly known as Yugoslavia), to be broadcast on BK Telekom. With these latest additions, Idol is now running in 20 versions, including Fox's American Idol in the U.S. and Canada, and CTV's Canadian Idol in Canada.
- 'American Idol' eliminee Malaya Watson: I was really hesitant to do the show
- 'Chrisley Knows Best' renewed for second season by USA Network
- 'Dancing with the Stars' eliminee Cody Simpson: I have mixed feelings, I had no clue I'd be going home
- Exclusive: John Erck and Jessica Hoel talk 'The Amazing Race: All-Stars' (Part 1)
- 'Southern Charm' stars Kathryn Dennis and Thomas Ravenel reportedly have baby girl
- 'Dancing with the Stars' eliminates Cody Simpson and professional partner Witney Carson on 'Disney Night'
- 'The Voice' coaches Shakira and Adam Levine determine their three-person teams, four artists get eliminated
- 'Dancing with the Stars' pro Peta Murgatroyd: James Maslow and I have amazing chemistry, it feels so good to be back with him!
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West reportedly tour Chateau de Louveciennes as possible wedding location