In a surprise upset, Norwegian Pop Idol Kurt Nilsen, a former plumber, defeated competition favorites Kelly Clarkson and Will Young and won World Idol's clash of the world's Idols. Full Story
WARNING: The following story contains spoilers as to the winner and finish orders of the World Idol results show which will air on FOX and CTV in the U.S. and Canada this evening. If you do not wish to know this information, please stop reading right now.
Was World Idol a ratings smash? Or was it a flop? The answer depends upon the country from which you were watching.
Although we have no idea what the final cut of World Idol, to be broadcast by Fox and CTV on Christmas Day, contains, we have now received a number of reports about the taping sessions on December 17. If you can picture a judging panel made up of 11 Simon Cowells, you've got the right image.
If, as rumored, Pete Waterman becomes a judge for Fox's American Idol 3, he's got some growing up to do first.
Who stars in World Idol -- the national winners or the national judges?
On December 17, the upcoming worldwide holiday special World Idol was taped in London ... but bigger news broke off-stage. Chartbusting superstar Elton John agreed to appear on the World Idol results show, which will be aired on January 1 in the United States (on Fox, from 9-10 PM) and Canada (on CTV, from 8-9 PM) -- the same day that it takes place in London.
FOX has announced that Simon Cowell will serve as America's representative on the upcoming World Idol judging panel. According to reports, Cowell was given the choice to either represent either FOX's American Idol program or the U.K.'s original Pop Idol program (where he still also serves as a judge) and opted to represent the American edition on the international judging panel.
Pop Idol creator Simon Fuller has finally achieved his dream: a one-night face-off among winners of Pop Idol versions from around the world, to be called World Idol.
Daily Variety (registration required) reports that the U.K. Pop Idol concept has been sold to two more countries: Croatia, to be broadcast on TV Nova, and Serbia and Montenegro (formerly known as Yugoslavia), to be broadcast on BK Telekom. With these latest additions, Idol is now running in 20 versions, including Fox's American Idol in the U.S. and Canada, and CTV's Canadian Idol in Canada.
Apparently we aren't the only ones enthusiastic about the nationalisitic hook in Big Brother Africa, which brought together one houseguest from 12 different countries. E! Online reports that Simon Fuller, the producer of Fox's American Idol, CTV's Canadian Idol, the U.K.'s Pop Idol and various other worldwide Idols (including the first Arab Idol, called Superstar and won by 19-year-old Jordanian Diana Karzon), now envisions a global Idol featuring winners from the different Idol versions. The show is preliminarily being positioned as a two-hour special for the December holiday season, with the winner being announced a week later.
- Erin Andrews to miss 'Dancing with the Stars' episodes due to family tragedy
- Gwen Stefani on Blake Shelton wedding rumors: "I'll let you know"
- Ramona Singer finalizes divorce from Mario Singer: "I feel phenomenal"
- 'Ride with Norman Reedus' renewed for second season by AMC
- Dan Shafer talks being the oldest contestant on 'The Voice:' Age doesn't matter, but if anything, I have an advantage
- Amber Rose: I've already lost weight on 'Dancing with the Stars'
- Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo share first photo of new daughter Dusty Rose
- Nicole Franzel and Corey Brooks talk potential first date, romantic future after 'Big Brother'
- Jade Roper and Tanner Tolbert reveal plans for starting family, how many kids they want
- 'Shark Tank' star Daymond John gets engaged to longtime girlfriend during filming
- Farrah Abraham interested in her own 'Teen Mom' spinoff
- Exclusive: 'Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X' castaway Rachel Ako talks (Part 1)
- Joe Giudice family friend: He's "miserable" behind bars, it's "worse than anyone expected"
- Kim Kardashian on Taylor Swift feud: "I like her music, there was no shade"
- 'America's Next Top Model' alum Lisa D'Amato welcomes second child live on Facebook
- Nicole Franzel talks 'Big Brother' money plans, the jury vote that shocked her and beating Paul Abrahamian
- Paul Abrahamian: I was shocked to lose 'Big Brother,' the jury was a little bit pissed and bitter
- Rachel Ako talks 'Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X' cyclone evacuation: "It was 'Survivor' purgatory hell!"
- Adam Levine and wife Behati Prinsloo welcome their first child
- Brendan Fletcher: I was leaning towards Blake Shelton before 'The Voice' audition, but Adam Levine charmed me
- Gigi Hadid assaulted after leaving Max Mara fashion show in Milan
- Lauren Diaz talks 'The Voice' proposal: I was literally in shock... but it was about time!
- Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert reunite on new country single
- 'Big Brother' crowns Nicole Franzel winner over Paul Abrahamian by single vote, first female winner in five years