In a surprise upset, Norwegian Pop Idol Kurt Nilsen, a former plumber, defeated competition favorites Kelly Clarkson and Will Young and won World Idol's clash of the world's Idols. Full Story
WARNING: The following story contains spoilers as to the winner and finish orders of the World Idol results show which will air on FOX and CTV in the U.S. and Canada this evening. If you do not wish to know this information, please stop reading right now.
Was World Idol a ratings smash? Or was it a flop? The answer depends upon the country from which you were watching.
Although we have no idea what the final cut of World Idol, to be broadcast by Fox and CTV on Christmas Day, contains, we have now received a number of reports about the taping sessions on December 17. If you can picture a judging panel made up of 11 Simon Cowells, you've got the right image.
If, as rumored, Pete Waterman becomes a judge for Fox's American Idol 3, he's got some growing up to do first.
Who stars in World Idol -- the national winners or the national judges?
On December 17, the upcoming worldwide holiday special World Idol was taped in London ... but bigger news broke off-stage. Chartbusting superstar Elton John agreed to appear on the World Idol results show, which will be aired on January 1 in the United States (on Fox, from 9-10 PM) and Canada (on CTV, from 8-9 PM) -- the same day that it takes place in London.
FOX has announced that Simon Cowell will serve as America's representative on the upcoming World Idol judging panel. According to reports, Cowell was given the choice to either represent either FOX's American Idol program or the U.K.'s original Pop Idol program (where he still also serves as a judge) and opted to represent the American edition on the international judging panel.
Pop Idol creator Simon Fuller has finally achieved his dream: a one-night face-off among winners of Pop Idol versions from around the world, to be called World Idol.
Daily Variety (registration required) reports that the U.K. Pop Idol concept has been sold to two more countries: Croatia, to be broadcast on TV Nova, and Serbia and Montenegro (formerly known as Yugoslavia), to be broadcast on BK Telekom. With these latest additions, Idol is now running in 20 versions, including Fox's American Idol in the U.S. and Canada, and CTV's Canadian Idol in Canada.
Apparently we aren't the only ones enthusiastic about the nationalisitic hook in Big Brother Africa, which brought together one houseguest from 12 different countries. E! Online reports that Simon Fuller, the producer of Fox's American Idol, CTV's Canadian Idol, the U.K.'s Pop Idol and various other worldwide Idols (including the first Arab Idol, called Superstar and won by 19-year-old Jordanian Diana Karzon), now envisions a global Idol featuring winners from the different Idol versions. The show is preliminarily being positioned as a two-hour special for the December holiday season, with the winner being announced a week later.
- Mariah Carey talks 'American Idol' as end nears: It's so boring and fake, I'd never be involved again
- 'The Bachelorette' producers fervently draft comedian Amy Schumer for next leading lady
- 'The Bachelor' couple Chris Soules and Whitney Bischoff call off engagement and split!
- 'Teen Mom 2' star Jenelle Evans turns herself into police, charged with domestic violence
- Family source says Bobby Brown will "never" take daughter Bobbi Kristina Brown off life support
- '19 Kids & Counting's return reportedly very unlikely due to Josh Duggar molestation scandal
- 'The Bachelorette's Clint Arlis and JJ Lane not gay despite steamy "Brokeback Bachelor" promo clip
- 'The Biggest Loser' fifth-season winner Ali Vincent ties the knot
- Kylie Jenner confirms she is not pregnant!
- 'Teen Mom 2' star Jenelle Evans reportedly assaulted ex-fiance Nathan Griffith and arrest warrant is out
- Bruce Jenner responds to wrongful death lawsuit saying victim's stepkids have no right to sue
- TLC reportedly considering '19 Kids & Counting' spinoff starring just Jill and Jessa Duggar and husbands
- 'The Bachelorette' host Chris Harrison: JJ Lane is arrogant and only shows Kaitlyn Bristowe one side
- Kaitlyn Bristowe on her 'The Bachelorette' season's ending: It was not what I thought it would be
- Exclusive: 'Survivor: Worlds Apart' winner Mike Holloway talks (Part 2)
- Bristol Palin opens up about canceled wedding to Dakota Meyer: I need to address the elephant in the room
- Rejected Bachelorette Britt Nilsson confirms she's dating Brady Toops, couple shares Instagram photos
- Exclusive Interview: 'Survivor: Worlds Apart' castaway Sierra Dawn Thomas opens up
- Advertisers back out of working with TLC's '19 Kids & Counting' if show returns
- 'The Bachelorette' star Kaitlyn Bristowe: One guy in particular blew me away
- Exclusive: Rodney Lavoie Jr. dishes on 'Survivor: Worlds Apart'
- Exclusive: 'The Amazing Race' couple Rochelle Nevedal and Michael Dombrowski talk
- Kendall Jenner spotted wearing race car driver Lewis Hamilton's gold chain fueling dating rumors
- 'The Bachelorette' star Kaitlyn Bristowe cuts Kupah James before Rose Ceremony for outburst