The Next Great Champ
Fox has KO'd its own The Next Great Champ reality boxing series, announcing that despite its previous announcement, the low rated series will not be returning to the airwaves after a short two-week hiatus. Instead, the network has cancelled all future broadcasts of the series, with the remaining six episodes of the ten episode series now scheduled for broadcast on the media conglomerate's Fox Sports Net network of regional cable sports channels. Full Story
Oscar de la Hoya found himself helpless against a bigger and stronger opponent in the ring this weekend. After three weeks, his Fox reality series The Next Great Champ is finding itself in similar straits in the ratings wars.
Fox might have won its battle with Mark Burnett and gotten its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series on the air well before NBC's The Contender, but if the ratings for Tuesday's premiere episode are any indication, it doesn't look like it emerged from the fight with much of a prize.
It looks like Fox's copycat reality-competition boxing series The Next Great Champ will end up with as much battling in the courtroom as in the ring.
In a battle between competing reality shows, California courts have once again confirmed that commercial speech is protected by the First Amendment.
The "Great Reality TV Show Controversy of 2004" masterminded by Fox is finally headed to court ... despite a late date change by Fox that looked like an effort to circumvent the court fight (although Fox denies any intent to do so).
Officially confirming reports that have circulated for several weeks, Fox has announced that its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series will premiere on Friday, September 10 at 9PM ET/PT.
Daily Variety reports that Fox and Endemol USA quietly wrapped production on their copycat boxing-reality show, The Next Great Champ, over the weekend of July 24-25. To keep the audience at the championship bout from being able to "spoil" the identity of the show's ultimate winner, Endemol filmed several different "title fights" without telling the audience which one was the real wrap-up.
The slugfest continues.
As part of Fox's counter-offensive last week against the widespread charges of reality-TV idea theft directed at it, boxing world champion Oscar de la Hoya defended his show, The Next Great Champ, against claims that it blatantly ripped off NBC's The Contender. However, the Golden Boy's new tale is vastly different from his previous story -- so different, in fact, that any claims that de la Hoya might have to the virtues of honor and integrity may have suffered a technical knockout.
Give Fox credit -- it isn't bashful about trying to steal Mark Burnett's idea.
Not content to let NBC and producer Mark Burnett claim the reality boxing show sub-genre without a fight, FOX has announced that it has teamed with six-time World Champion Oscar De La Hoya and reality television powerhouse Endemol USA to launch a reality boxing competition series of its own.
- 'The Voice' crowns Danielle Bradbery champion of fourth season
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West reportedly still debating name of baby girl
- 'The Bachelorette' star Desiree Hartsock: I could sense the Ben Scott tension, it made me uncomfortable
- 'Splash' trainer Greg Louganis engaged to partner Johnny Chaillot
- 'The Bachelorette' host Chris Harrison: James Case will shock and blindside everyone
- 'The Voice' finalist Danielle Bradbery "is the winner," according to Adam Levine
- 'The Bachelorette' star Desiree Hartsock eliminates Brad McKinzie and Zack Kalter
- 'The Bachelorette' bachelor Brandon Andreen: My portrayal could've been a lot worse
- Emily Maynard reportedly dating a new guy for the past six months
- 'Survivor: Blood vs. Water' and 'The Amazing Race' fall premiere dates announced by CBS
- Sean Lowe: Catherine Giudici and I won't be having kids "anytime soon"
- Kim Kardashian giving birth to baby girl "happened so fast," according to mother Kris Jenner
- Tamra Barney marries fiance Eddie Judge
- Kim Kardashian gives birth to first child prematurely
- Charlie Sheen blasts 'Teen Mom' star Farrah Abraham for leaking texts
- 'The Bachelorette' bachelor Brandon Andreen: Since it can't be me, hopefully it's going to be Brooks Forester
- Joanna Krupa weds Romain Zago in "million dollar princess wedding"
- 'Hell's Kitchen' star Gordon Ramsay chops Zach Womack from the competition
- 'Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls' cast of 10 teams revealed by NBC
- 'The Bachelorette's Brandon Andreen: Desiree Hartsock and I would've 100% had a different connection in a different atmosphere
- 'Summer Camp' reality competition cast announced by USA Network
- Sean Lowe: Catherine Giudici and I "aren't in any rush" to get married
- Farrah Abraham gets second boob job, boasts she is "looking amazing"
- Nigel Lythgoe: I'm pissed Fox fired me from 'American Idol'