The Next Great Champ
Fox has KO'd its own The Next Great Champ reality boxing series, announcing that despite its previous announcement, the low rated series will not be returning to the airwaves after a short two-week hiatus. Instead, the network has cancelled all future broadcasts of the series, with the remaining six episodes of the ten episode series now scheduled for broadcast on the media conglomerate's Fox Sports Net network of regional cable sports channels. Full Story
Oscar de la Hoya found himself helpless against a bigger and stronger opponent in the ring this weekend. After three weeks, his Fox reality series The Next Great Champ is finding itself in similar straits in the ratings wars.
Fox might have won its battle with Mark Burnett and gotten its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series on the air well before NBC's The Contender, but if the ratings for Tuesday's premiere episode are any indication, it doesn't look like it emerged from the fight with much of a prize.
It looks like Fox's copycat reality-competition boxing series The Next Great Champ will end up with as much battling in the courtroom as in the ring.
In a battle between competing reality shows, California courts have once again confirmed that commercial speech is protected by the First Amendment.
The "Great Reality TV Show Controversy of 2004" masterminded by Fox is finally headed to court ... despite a late date change by Fox that looked like an effort to circumvent the court fight (although Fox denies any intent to do so).
Officially confirming reports that have circulated for several weeks, Fox has announced that its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series will premiere on Friday, September 10 at 9PM ET/PT.
Daily Variety reports that Fox and Endemol USA quietly wrapped production on their copycat boxing-reality show, The Next Great Champ, over the weekend of July 24-25. To keep the audience at the championship bout from being able to "spoil" the identity of the show's ultimate winner, Endemol filmed several different "title fights" without telling the audience which one was the real wrap-up.
The slugfest continues.
As part of Fox's counter-offensive last week against the widespread charges of reality-TV idea theft directed at it, boxing world champion Oscar de la Hoya defended his show, The Next Great Champ, against claims that it blatantly ripped off NBC's The Contender. However, the Golden Boy's new tale is vastly different from his previous story -- so different, in fact, that any claims that de la Hoya might have to the virtues of honor and integrity may have suffered a technical knockout.
Give Fox credit -- it isn't bashful about trying to steal Mark Burnett's idea.
Not content to let NBC and producer Mark Burnett claim the reality boxing show sub-genre without a fight, FOX has announced that it has teamed with six-time World Champion Oscar De La Hoya and reality television powerhouse Endemol USA to launch a reality boxing competition series of its own.
- Corinne Olympios -- 'The Bachelor' Nick Viall: We've come such a long way since our first kiss
- Nick Cannon welcomes baby boy, Golden "Sagon" Cannon, with ex-girlfriend Brittany Bell
- Rachel Lindsay's family was candid when discussing race, says 'The Bachelor' Nick Viall -- I really appreciated it
- Blac Chyna says she's lost 40 pounds since Dream's birth
- Gwen Stefani: Blake Shelton is the "most incredible guy"
- 'Little People, Big World' stars Jeremy Roloff and Audrey Roloff expecting first child
- 'Flip or Flop' star Christina El Moussa reportedly "single" after breakup with boyfriend Gary Anderson
- 'The Bachelor' broadcast schedule detailed by ABC -- Fantasy suite dates airing over two weeks
- Raven Gates -- 'The Bachelor' Nick Viall: I was head over heels but feared she wouldn't open up to me
- Chad Johnson: I'm "interested" in 'The Bachelor' villain Corinne Olympios, we've been texting
- Vanessa Grimaldi -- 'The Bachelor' Nick Viall: She blew me away, I wish I had more answers for her family
- 'The Hills' alum Jason Wahler and wife Ashley expecting first child
- 'The Bachelor' spoilers: Who are Nick Viall's Final 3 bachelorettes, and who did he pick in the end?
- 'The Bachelor' couples -- Whom did 'The Bachelor' stars and their final picks end up with ultimately?! (PHOTOS)
- Rachel Lindsay's dad did meet Nick Viall but it happened off-camera, 'The Bachelor' host Chris Harrison reveals
- 'Flip or Flop's Christina El Moussa on Tarek El Moussa split: Communication stopped, we didn't even drive to houses together
- Corinne Olympios -- 'The Bachelor' host: She thrives on her own, Nick Viall explored her many different sides
- Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony celebrate their twins' 9th birthday
- 'Dancing with the Stars' to feature Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta Murgatroyd as Season 24 pros, couple talks rivalry
- Rob Kardashian posts his "favorite" photo with duaghter Dream after Blac Chyna split
- Josh Murray opens up about possible Amanda Stanton reconciliation after couple seen kissing
- Vanessa Grimaldi -- 'The Bachelor' host Chris Harrison: Nick Viall saw her in her most confident and natural element
- Raven Gates' family is adorable, says 'The Bachelor' host -- It'd be inhuman for viewers not to shed a tear
- Andi Dorfman and Nick Viall are "perfect for each other," Josh Murray says