The Next Great Champ
Fox has KO'd its own The Next Great Champ reality boxing series, announcing that despite its previous announcement, the low rated series will not be returning to the airwaves after a short two-week hiatus. Instead, the network has cancelled all future broadcasts of the series, with the remaining six episodes of the ten episode series now scheduled for broadcast on the media conglomerate's Fox Sports Net network of regional cable sports channels. Full Story
Oscar de la Hoya found himself helpless against a bigger and stronger opponent in the ring this weekend. After three weeks, his Fox reality series The Next Great Champ is finding itself in similar straits in the ratings wars.
Fox might have won its battle with Mark Burnett and gotten its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series on the air well before NBC's The Contender, but if the ratings for Tuesday's premiere episode are any indication, it doesn't look like it emerged from the fight with much of a prize.
It looks like Fox's copycat reality-competition boxing series The Next Great Champ will end up with as much battling in the courtroom as in the ring.
In a battle between competing reality shows, California courts have once again confirmed that commercial speech is protected by the First Amendment.
The "Great Reality TV Show Controversy of 2004" masterminded by Fox is finally headed to court ... despite a late date change by Fox that looked like an effort to circumvent the court fight (although Fox denies any intent to do so).
Officially confirming reports that have circulated for several weeks, Fox has announced that its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series will premiere on Friday, September 10 at 9PM ET/PT.
Daily Variety reports that Fox and Endemol USA quietly wrapped production on their copycat boxing-reality show, The Next Great Champ, over the weekend of July 24-25. To keep the audience at the championship bout from being able to "spoil" the identity of the show's ultimate winner, Endemol filmed several different "title fights" without telling the audience which one was the real wrap-up.
The slugfest continues.
As part of Fox's counter-offensive last week against the widespread charges of reality-TV idea theft directed at it, boxing world champion Oscar de la Hoya defended his show, The Next Great Champ, against claims that it blatantly ripped off NBC's The Contender. However, the Golden Boy's new tale is vastly different from his previous story -- so different, in fact, that any claims that de la Hoya might have to the virtues of honor and integrity may have suffered a technical knockout.
Give Fox credit -- it isn't bashful about trying to steal Mark Burnett's idea.
Not content to let NBC and producer Mark Burnett claim the reality boxing show sub-genre without a fight, FOX has announced that it has teamed with six-time World Champion Oscar De La Hoya and reality television powerhouse Endemol USA to launch a reality boxing competition series of its own.
- 'So You Think You Can Dance: The Next Generation' determines the Top 10 kids
- Toni Braxton and Birdman make their debut as couple at 2016 BET Awards
- 'The Bachelorette' recap: JoJo Fletcher sends Wells Adams and Derek Peth packing
- Candace Cameron Bure celebrates her 20th wedding anniversary
- 'Dance Moms' star Abby Lee Miller pleads guilty to bankruptcy fraud
- Khloe Kardashian's 32nd birthday celebrated with throwback pics by Kris Jenner and Kim Kardashian
- Justin Bieber reveals he's a fan of 'The Bachelorette' -- "don't judge me"
- Jordan Rodgers, 'The Bachelorette' -- Reality TV Guy Sexy Social Pic of the Day
- Ariel Winter announces she's single with Kim Kardashian GIF
- Demi Lovato on her troubled past: "I didn't think I would make it to 21"
- 'Big Brother' reveals new 'Roadkill' competition that nominates a third houseguest for eviction each week
- Robby Hayes -- 11 things to know about 'The Bachelorette' bachelor
- Kylie Jenner surprises Ariana Grande with sold-out lip kits for her birthday
- Kellie Pickler misses buzzer and startles 'Celebrity Family Feud' host Steve Harvey
- 'The Bachelorette' host Chris Harrison: Robby Hayes is the dark horse, no one saw his connection with JoJo Fletcher coming
- Liam Hemsworth: My engagement to Miley Cyrus wasn't "impulsive"
- James Taylor -- 11 things to know about 'The Bachelorette' bachelor
- Jenna Johnson, 'So You Think You Can Dance' and 'Dancing with the Stars' -- Reality TV Girl Sexy Social Pic of the Day
- Wells Adams -- 11 things to know about 'The Bachelorette' bachelor
- Kylie Jenner and Tyga reunite for premiere of Kanye West's new 'Famous' music video
- Derek Peth -- 11 things to know about 'The Bachelorette' bachelor
- Audrina Patridge has her first child with Corey Bohan
- Jordan Rodgers -- 11 things to know about 'The Bachelorette' bachelor
- Kanye West releases 'Famous' video features naked, wax likenesses of Taylor Swift, Caitlyn Jenner, Donald Trmup and more