The Next Great Champ
Fox has KO'd its own The Next Great Champ reality boxing series, announcing that despite its previous announcement, the low rated series will not be returning to the airwaves after a short two-week hiatus. Instead, the network has cancelled all future broadcasts of the series, with the remaining six episodes of the ten episode series now scheduled for broadcast on the media conglomerate's Fox Sports Net network of regional cable sports channels. Full Story
Oscar de la Hoya found himself helpless against a bigger and stronger opponent in the ring this weekend. After three weeks, his Fox reality series The Next Great Champ is finding itself in similar straits in the ratings wars.
Fox might have won its battle with Mark Burnett and gotten its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series on the air well before NBC's The Contender, but if the ratings for Tuesday's premiere episode are any indication, it doesn't look like it emerged from the fight with much of a prize.
It looks like Fox's copycat reality-competition boxing series The Next Great Champ will end up with as much battling in the courtroom as in the ring.
In a battle between competing reality shows, California courts have once again confirmed that commercial speech is protected by the First Amendment.
The "Great Reality TV Show Controversy of 2004" masterminded by Fox is finally headed to court ... despite a late date change by Fox that looked like an effort to circumvent the court fight (although Fox denies any intent to do so).
Officially confirming reports that have circulated for several weeks, Fox has announced that its The Next Great Champ reality boxing series will premiere on Friday, September 10 at 9PM ET/PT.
Daily Variety reports that Fox and Endemol USA quietly wrapped production on their copycat boxing-reality show, The Next Great Champ, over the weekend of July 24-25. To keep the audience at the championship bout from being able to "spoil" the identity of the show's ultimate winner, Endemol filmed several different "title fights" without telling the audience which one was the real wrap-up.
The slugfest continues.
As part of Fox's counter-offensive last week against the widespread charges of reality-TV idea theft directed at it, boxing world champion Oscar de la Hoya defended his show, The Next Great Champ, against claims that it blatantly ripped off NBC's The Contender. However, the Golden Boy's new tale is vastly different from his previous story -- so different, in fact, that any claims that de la Hoya might have to the virtues of honor and integrity may have suffered a technical knockout.
Give Fox credit -- it isn't bashful about trying to steal Mark Burnett's idea.
Not content to let NBC and producer Mark Burnett claim the reality boxing show sub-genre without a fight, FOX has announced that it has teamed with six-time World Champion Oscar De La Hoya and reality television powerhouse Endemol USA to launch a reality boxing competition series of its own.
- 'The Bachelor' Ben Higgins: The emotion and agony leading up to the final day still haunt me, I never imagined this ending
- Tenley Molzahn: Ben Higgins and I "definitely" had "a very special relationship"
- Jordin Sparks and boyfriend Sage the Gemini call it quits on their relationship
- 'The Bachelor' star Ben Higgins: Olivia Caridi made "alarming" comments and "looked down upon" her fellow bachelorettes
- Kanye West under fire after "BILL COSBY INNOCENT" tweet
- 'Married at First Sight's Ashley Doherty loses all trust in David Norton, Sam Role starts to like Neil Bowlus
- Johnny Depp stars as Donald Trump in comedic 'Funny or Die' movie
- Ben Higgins: I was shaken by Leah Block's accusations about Lauren Bushnell because one girl was lying to me
- 'American Idol's Kelly Clarkson lands publishing deal for children's book about daughter River Rose
- 'The Bachelor' star Ben Higgins: My head was spinning this week, I dealt with a bad rumor and worried my mistakes might cost me love
- 'The Real Housewives of New Jersey' star Teresa Giudice: The living conditions in prison were horrible, I was living in hell
- 'The Biggest Loser' contestants receive stunning makeovers, Lauren Clark gets eliminated
- Khloe Kardashian and James Harden reportedly break up and call it quits
- 'The Bachelor' recap: Leah Block lies and throws Lauren Bushnell under the bus, Ben Higgins crushes Olivia Caridi on two-on-one date
- 'The Bachelor' alum Tenley Molzahn reveals she's dating the man she's "going to marry"
- Kris Jenner: I try to be tolerant of Caitlyn Jenner, I didn't even know what the word "transgender" meant at first
- 'The Real Housewives of New York City' star LuAnn de Lesseps is engaged, Bethenny Frankel is "actually" happy for her
- 'The Bachelor' host Chris Harrison: I am a hopeless romantic and would love to find love now
- Teresa Giudice, Melissa Gorga and Jacqueline Laurita officially returning to 'The Real Housewives of New Jersey'
- Blake Shelton photographed driving Gwen Stefani and kids to park for fun family outing
- Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott move into $7,500-per month rental home despite reports of financial problems
- Lamar Odom enjoys nature hike and Super Bowl with Khloe Kardashian and Kim Kardashian
- Two-time 'Survivor' castaway Michael Skupin arrested on fraud, conspiracy and possession of child pornography charges
- Rob Kardashian's ex-girlfriend Adrienne Bailon "happy" he's dating Blac Chyna and wishes them well