The Beverly Hillbillies
TV Guide Online reports that CBS chairman and CEO Les Moonves has not made a final decision regarding the network's controversial proposed reality-TV show The Real Beverly Hillbillies. Although the concept alone has generated continuing protests (including one from a U.S. senator), Moonves said that "we haven't made any decision [about the show's future] yet." Full Story
The search for an open mike and free face time on the nightly news has led two more politicians to emulate Georgia Senator Zell Miller by blasting CBS's planned reality-TV update of The Beverly Hillbillies.
Reuters reports that Georgia's senior U.S. senator, Zell Miller, today accused CBS of "bigotry for big bucks" and demanded that the network cancel its planned reality-show remake of The Beverly Hillbillies.
The Associated Press reports that under pressure from rural advocacy groups, CBS is dampening expectations for ``The Real Beverly Hillbillies,'' a reality series in the works that borrows its premise from the hit 1960s sitcom. An advocacy group, the Center for Rural Strategies, has been placing advertisements in newspapers condemning CBS' plans and complaining that the show will perpetuate a stereotype of them as hicks.
Reuters reports that CBS talent scouts are fanning out across the backwoods of America in search of a rural, rustically telegenic family willing to star in a new reality show inspired by "The Beverly Hillbillies" -- with cement pond (swimming pool) and all. The half-hour, weekly show, tentatively titled "The Real Beverly Hillbillies," is being developed for a mid-season or summer launch next year.
- Alfonso Ribeiro on 'Dancing with the Stars' triumph: I was kind of in shock and almost fell to my knees
- Teresa Giudice planning to file for divorce from husband Joe Giudice after prison sentence, says source
- Anna 'Chickadee' Cardwell won't spend Thanksgiving with Honey Boo Boo and the family
- Kim Kardashian's representative denies Kanye West breakup rumors
- Fifth Harmony member Camila Cabello and Austin Mahone split
- Kendall Jenner slammed by model Arisce Wanzer
- Tori Spelling confirms husband Dean McDermott is done with 'True Tori,' but is she?
- Teresa Giudice reportedly lands deal with Bravo to host cooking show after prison release
- 'Dancing with the Stars' couple Janel Parrish and Val Chmerkovskiy continue dodging dating questions
- Jordin Sparks appears to bash ex-boyfriend Jason Derulo in new mixtape
- 'The Voice' eliminates Reagan James and Anita Antoinette, America saves Ryan Sill again
- 'Dancing with the Stars' crowns Alfonso Ribeiro and partner Witney Carson new champions
- 'Dancing with the Stars' pro Derek Hough: Bethany Mota and I hid things from the show's cameras
- Kathy Griffin: Joan Rivers and I had discussed having me join 'Fashion Police'
- Val Chmerkovskiy sends Janel Parrish emotional "love you" message before 'Dancing with the Stars' finale
- Leah Messer reportedly "scarred" from 'Teen Mom 2' and therefore quitting
- Janel Parrish on 'Dancing with the Stars' finale: I think Alfonso Ribeiro is the one to beat
- Jenny McCarthy and Donnie Wahlberg: Our 'Donnie Loves Jenny' reality show won't break us up!
- Exclusive: 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur -- Blood vs. Water' eliminee Jeremy Collins talks (Part 2)
- Kendra Wilkinson: I didn't know sex was involved when I moved into the 'Playboy' mansion with Hugh Hefner
- TV station apologizes for 'Dancing With the Stars' tweet during Ferguson decision
- 'The Voice' Top 10 artists mentored by Diana Ross, Clive Davis, Patrick Stump, Colbie Caillat, and Christina Aguilera
- 'Dancing with the Stars' cuts Bethany Mota and Derek Hough as Alfonso Ribeiro and Witney Carson earn perfect total score
- Exclusive: 'The Amazing Race' eliminee Te Jay McGrath talks (Part 1)