The Beverly Hillbillies
TV Guide Online reports that CBS chairman and CEO Les Moonves has not made a final decision regarding the network's controversial proposed reality-TV show The Real Beverly Hillbillies. Although the concept alone has generated continuing protests (including one from a U.S. senator), Moonves said that "we haven't made any decision [about the show's future] yet." Full Story
The search for an open mike and free face time on the nightly news has led two more politicians to emulate Georgia Senator Zell Miller by blasting CBS's planned reality-TV update of The Beverly Hillbillies.
Reuters reports that Georgia's senior U.S. senator, Zell Miller, today accused CBS of "bigotry for big bucks" and demanded that the network cancel its planned reality-show remake of The Beverly Hillbillies.
The Associated Press reports that under pressure from rural advocacy groups, CBS is dampening expectations for ``The Real Beverly Hillbillies,'' a reality series in the works that borrows its premise from the hit 1960s sitcom. An advocacy group, the Center for Rural Strategies, has been placing advertisements in newspapers condemning CBS' plans and complaining that the show will perpetuate a stereotype of them as hicks.
Reuters reports that CBS talent scouts are fanning out across the backwoods of America in search of a rural, rustically telegenic family willing to star in a new reality show inspired by "The Beverly Hillbillies" -- with cement pond (swimming pool) and all. The half-hour, weekly show, tentatively titled "The Real Beverly Hillbillies," is being developed for a mid-season or summer launch next year.
- 'American Idol' eliminee Dexter Roberts: Sometimes it felt like Harry Connick Jr. was talking sign language
- Kris Jenner reportedly doing "great" after hospital visit for health scare
- 'American Idol' eliminates Dexter Roberts and determines Top 6 finalists
- Lindsay Lohan reveals how her 36-name list of sexual partners leaked
- 'American Idol' judge Keith Urban: This season is like 'The Hunger Games,' Harry Connick Jr. and I are wired differently
- Exclusive: 'Survivor: Cagayan -- Brawn vs. Brains vs. Beauty' castoff LJ McKanas talks (Part 1)
- Porsha Williams turns herself into authorities on battery charge, takes glamorous mugshot
- 'American Idol' Top 7 show features performance highs and lows
- 'Survivor: Cagayan -- Brawn vs. Brains vs. Beauty's merged Solarrion tribe takes out LJ McKanas
- Tori Spelling wants to humiliate Dean McDermott in 'True Tori,' says source, she's angry and not in a good place
- Exclusive: 'Survivor: Cagayan -- Brawn vs. Brains vs. Beauty' castoff Morgan McLeod talks (Part 2)
- 'Dancing with the Stars' pro Tony Dovolani on NeNe Leakes tiff: My comments were taken out of context, it's tough to be portrayed as a villain
- 'American Idol' eliminee Malaya Watson: There was never a moment I doubted the judges' advice
- Lindsay Lohan reportedly relapses again and drinks at Coachella
- 'The Voice' coach Usher determines his three live-shows competitors, completing the Top 12 artists
- 'The Bachelorette' star Andi Dorfman: "She's looking for the right
- Flavor Flav pleads guilty to misdemeanor battery
- 'American Idol' eliminee Malaya Watson: I was really hesitant to do the show
- 'Chrisley Knows Best' renewed for second season by USA Network
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West check on wedding details in Paris
- 'Dancing with the Stars' eliminee Cody Simpson: I have mixed feelings, I had no clue I'd be going home
- Exclusive: John Erck and Jessica Hoel talk 'The Amazing Race: All-Stars' (Part 1)
- 'Southern Charm' stars Kathryn Dennis and Thomas Ravenel reportedly have baby girl
- 'Dancing with the Stars' eliminates Cody Simpson and professional partner Witney Carson on 'Disney Night'