The Beverly Hillbillies
TV Guide Online reports that CBS chairman and CEO Les Moonves has not made a final decision regarding the network's controversial proposed reality-TV show The Real Beverly Hillbillies. Although the concept alone has generated continuing protests (including one from a U.S. senator), Moonves said that "we haven't made any decision [about the show's future] yet." Full Story
The search for an open mike and free face time on the nightly news has led two more politicians to emulate Georgia Senator Zell Miller by blasting CBS's planned reality-TV update of The Beverly Hillbillies.
Reuters reports that Georgia's senior U.S. senator, Zell Miller, today accused CBS of "bigotry for big bucks" and demanded that the network cancel its planned reality-show remake of The Beverly Hillbillies.
The Associated Press reports that under pressure from rural advocacy groups, CBS is dampening expectations for ``The Real Beverly Hillbillies,'' a reality series in the works that borrows its premise from the hit 1960s sitcom. An advocacy group, the Center for Rural Strategies, has been placing advertisements in newspapers condemning CBS' plans and complaining that the show will perpetuate a stereotype of them as hicks.
Reuters reports that CBS talent scouts are fanning out across the backwoods of America in search of a rural, rustically telegenic family willing to star in a new reality show inspired by "The Beverly Hillbillies" -- with cement pond (swimming pool) and all. The half-hour, weekly show, tentatively titled "The Real Beverly Hillbillies," is being developed for a mid-season or summer launch next year.
- Chris Bukowski and Elise Mosca's relationship: What is their current status?
- 'Utopia' cast revealed by Fox, new reality series to premiere September 7
- Former 'Jersey Shore' stars Ronnie Ortiz-Magro and Sammi "Sweetheart" Giancola split for good
- 'American Idol' host Ryan Seacrest talks turning 40 and new personal goals
- Jill Duggar starts her big family with new husband Derick Dillard, they're expecting!
- Jenni "JWoww" Farley swears off sex with fiance Roger Mathews for a year or two
- 'Kate Plus 8' to air all-new episodes later this year on TLC
- Kourtney Kardashian and family reportedly flee new home after finding covered-up mold, wants to sue
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' host Chris Harrison: Graham Bunn feels suffocated and pressured by AshLee Frazier, that's not good
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' eliminates Danielle Ronco, sees one couple quit together
- Julianne Hough to reportedly return to 'Dancing with the Stars,' but in what role?
- Nick and Drew Lachey's 'Lachey's Bar' reality series ordered by A&E
- 'Deadliest Catch,' 'Shark Tank' and Jane Lynch win at Creative Arts Emmy Awards ceremony
- 'Hell's Kitchen' thirteenth-season cast revealed, new season to premiere September 10
- 'Teen Mom' star Catelynn Lowell and Tyler Baltierra find out the sex of their baby!
- Khloe Kardashian: I just don't care that French Montana wants to capitalize on my fame
- 'Big Brother' determines sole HoH and two eviction nominees after "Battle of the Block" competition
- Christina Aguilera gives birth to a baby girl with fiance Matt Rutler
- 'Rising Star' advances Austin French, Jesse Kinch and Dana Williams to finale
- Tori Spelling reveals current state of marriage with Dean McDermott after his cheating affair
- 'The Voice' coach Usher admits his "best mistake" in life
- Former 'Teen Mom' star Farrah Abraham: Yeah, I'm a stripper but it's just for research
- Josh Gracin apologizes for suicide scare, says he's getting help
- Kendall Jenner reportedly thinks she's the hottest and most in-demand sister by far, everyone's fed up with her ego