New York police shared photos on Twitter illustrating why cellphone users shouldn't sleep with the devices under their pillows -- especially while charging.

The photos tweeted by the New York Police Department's 33rd Precinct show a scorched pillow, a bed with a burn mark and a completely destroyed Samsung phone.

The post said the phone was plugged into a charger while underneath the pillow when it overheated and caught fire.

The incident took place in the Washington Heights neighborhood of Manhattan. It was unclear whether anyone was injured.

"Don't put your cellphone under a pillow when sleeping or when charging your device. Please share this tip and b safe!" the tweet read.