'Call Me by Your Name' author says he is writing a sequel
UPI News Service, 12/04/2018
Andre Aciman, the author behind the original Call Me by Your Name novel that was adapted into the critically-acclaimed film of the same name, has announced on Twitter that he is penning a sequel.
"I would actually love a sequel to Call Me by Your Name. In fact I am writing one," Aciman said on Monday.
Aciman's novel was released in 2007 with the film version directed by Luca Guadagnino arriving in 2017. Armie Hammer and Timothee Chalamet starred in the lead roles as 24-year-old Oliver and 17-year-old Elio respectively, who fall in love with each other.
Screenwriter James Ivory won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for his work on the film. He famously wore a shirt featuring a drawing of Chalamet to the Academy Awards.
Guadagnino previously said in January to The Hollywood Reporter that he has plans for a film sequel.
"The novel has 40 pages at the end that goes through the next 20 years of the lives of Elio and Oliver, so there is some sort of indication through the intention of author Andre Aciman that the story can continue," he said at the time.
"In my opinion, Call Me can be the first chapter of the chronicles of the life of these people that we met in this movie, and if the first one is a story of coming of age and becoming a young man, maybe the next chapter will be, what is the position of the young man in the world, what does he want - and what is left a few years later of such an emotional punch that made him who he is?" he continued.
Copyright 2018 United Press International, Inc. (UPI). Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.