Once the 64 acts were determined, each act got to select one song from a list of 35 choices, learn the song and perform it as a soloist for Cowell, Abdul, Reid, and Scherzinger.
After hearing from all 64 acts, the judges deliberated and decided who would be the show's Top 32 acts -- eight of which would each be placed in the "Boys under 30," "Girls under 30," "Over 30," and "Groups" categories.
However after revealing the competition's eight acts for the "Boys under 30," "Girls under 30" and "Over 30" categories, the judges only selected six group acts and decided to form two additional groups comprised of 14 contestants who had failed to make the cut as soloists in the boys and girls categories.
"We often look for artists that may have the potential to be solo performers, but we often cast them in groups," Reid told the 14 contestants.
"So, in other words, if... you had come in as a group, I think you would have blown away the competition. I think if you'd come in together, it would have been an absolute no-brainer, but you didn't come in as groups. But now, you are in the groups category," Cowell announced.
Once the 32 acts were determined, The X Factor's producers decided which judge would mentor each of the four categories of contestants and phoned each judge with the news.
"Really?! The Over 30s?! Alright. Alright, I can do that. It's not the girls. You didn't say girls did you?" Scherzinger told a producer once she had learned the news of her category placement.
"The Boys! I think I just won. What did Simon get? That's all I want to know," Reid joked sinisterly upon receiving his category.
"Oh my gosh, the Groups! Wow. I'm excited and I'm feeling a little bit overwhelmed already," Abdul told a producer.
"Just tell me who I've got, please... Thank you. You just made eight girls very, very happy. I'm actually more happy for them than I am for me, because I know that they want me as their mentor," Cowell said.
Now that each judge has been assigned one category of hopefuls, next Wednesday's The X Factor broadcast will begin with the four groups of contestants each visiting their own mentor's home. Each judge will then determine which four of their eight acts will advance to the live shows.
- Christa Collins, a 32-year-old from Burlington, IA who currently resides in Los Angeles, CA
- Dexter Haygood, a 49-year-old from Memphis, TN who currently resides in Chicago, IL
- Elaine Gibbs, a 53-year-old from Los Angeles, CA
- James Kenney, a 34-year-old from Portland, OR who currently resides in West Hollywood, CA
- Josh Krajcik, a 30-year-old from Wooster, OH who currently resides in Columbus, OH
- LeRoy Bell, a 60-year-old from Tacoma, WA who currently resides in Edmonds, WA
- Stacy Francis, a 42-year-old from Brooklyn, NY who currently resides in Los Angeles, CA
- Tiger Budbill, a 42-year-old from Seattle/White Center, WA who currently resides in Bothell, WA
The eight groups who will be mentored by Paula Abdul are:
- 2squar'd - Abighail Mary, a 28-year-old from Miami, FL who currently resides in Pembroke Pines, FL
- Aimee Santos, a 25-year-old from Quebec, Canada who currently resides in Miramar, FL
- Deveraux Lavinia, a 27-year-old from Miami, FL
- Liza Forero, a 27-year-old from Edison, NJ who currently resides in Miami, FL
- Allynn Walker Bey, a 23-year-old from Virginia Beach, VA
- Brandon Showell, a 21-year-old from Virginia Beach, VA
- Daijreous Poole, a 21-year-old from Virginia Beach, VA
- Jessie Nunn III, a 21-year-old from Virginia Beach, VA
- Brewer Boys
- Justin Brewer, a 17-year-old from Temecula, CA
- Nathan Brewer, a 14-year-old from Temecula, CA
- Ahmed Jaime, a 26-year-old from Miami, FL
- Lazaro Chavez, a 26-year-old from Hialeah, FL
- Richard Mason, a 26-year-old from Hialeah, FL
- InTENsity (a new 10-person group formed at the conclusion of the auditions)
- Arin Ray, a 16-year-old from Cincinnati, OH
- Austin Percario, a 15-year-old from Warren, NJ
- Ellona Santiago, a 15-year-old from San Lorenzo, CA
- Emily Michalak, a 13-year-old from Pine Brook, NJ
- Emily Wilson, a 15-year-old from Warren, NJ
- Francesca Duncan, a 17-year-old from Orange County, NY who currently resides in Brockport, NY
- John Lindahl, a 14-year-old from Travuco Canyon, CA
- Lauren Ashley Redmond, a 17-year-old from Houston, TX who currently resides in DeSoto, TX
- Ma'at Bingham Shango, a 12-year-old from Houston, TX
- Nick Dean, a 15-year-old from Rochester, NY
- Lakoda Rayne (a new four-person female group formed at the conclusion of the auditions)
- Cari Fletcher, a 17-year-old from Wall Township, NJ
- Dani Knights, a 22-year-old from Santa Clarita, CA
- Hayley Orrantia, a 17-year-old from Highland Village, TX
- Paige Ogle, an 18-year-old from Baltimore, MD
- Stereo Hogzz
- George Jenkins III, a 25-year-old from Houston, TX
- Jonathan Glenn, a 25-year-old from Houston, TX
- Justin Williams, a 25-year-old from Houston, TX
- Kregg Gibson, a 25-year-old from Houston, TX
- Leeland Stephenson, a 24-year-old from Houston, TX
- The Anser
- Gray Aydelott, a 22-year-old from Kaysville, UT who currently resides in Orem, UT
- Jarrett Burns, a 27-year-old from Orem, UT
- PJ Schwartz, a 21-year-old from Bountiful, UT
(Photo credit Fox)
DISCUSS AND COMMENT ON THIS STORY Reality TV World now offers Facebook Comments on our stories. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then 'Add' your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the 'X' in the upper right corner of the comment box. Get more Reality TV World! Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or add our RSS feed.