'The Real Housewives' star Kelly Killoren Bensimon goes to court
By John Bracchitta, 03/31/2009
Kelly Killoren Bensimon's lawyer is claiming that ex-boyfriend Nicholas Stefanov -- and not The RealHousewives of New York City star -- is responsible for the former couple's physical altercation earlier this month
"It's the reverse of a jilted girlfriend," defense attorney Ed Hayes said following a brief Tuesday court hearing relating to Bensimon's March 5 arrest on misdemeanor assault charges for allegedly assaulting Stefanov, according to the New YorkDaily News. "He's a rejected boyfriend."
Bensimon was arrested for a March 3 incident in which, according to the criminal complaint Stefanov filed, she allegedly hit the 30-year-old Stefanov "with a closed fist, thereby causing informant to suffer a laceration below informant's left eye and substantial pain."
After turning herself in, the 40-year-old Bensimon was released on her own recognizance and immediately denied the charges.
On Tuesday, Hayes said that the altercation had occurred after Stefanov refused to leave Bensimon's apartment after the couple had ended their relationship.
"I can't believe the guy went to the police," Hayes said, according to the Daily News. "It is very, very mean-spirited. It's not like she's in his apartment. He's in her apartment."
In addition, Hayes charged that Stefanov had sent threatening emails to Bensimon, even reading one in which Stefanov allegedly threatened that "I'm going to make your life misery," according to the Daily News.
Hayes also that Stafanov's decision not to show up for Tuesday's court hearing -- which caused the case to be postponed until June 8 -- was proof that his charges were unfounded and added that he felt confident the case would ultimately be dismissed.
"[Stefanov's] not ready. He didn't show up. The guy didn't come. We came. He didn't," Hayes said, according to Extra. "What can I tell ya? If he doesn't show up from now till then [June 8th], they'll dismiss the case. It's not a real case. He just wants to make her life uncomfortable."
Following her appearance in court, Bensimon expressed regret over the situation that she and two her daughters were being forced through.
"It's not really about me. It's about my girls. My girls don't need to be exposed to something like this," she told Extra. "It's really inappropriate -- I don't want to speak ill of anyone. That's not who I am. I don't want to do that."