Terry Crews: I was sexually assaulted by a Hollywood executive
UPI News Service, 10/11/2017
Terry Crews shared on Twitter Tuesday that he was sexually assaulted by a Hollywood executive as harassment claims against producer Harvey Weinstein continue to stack up.
"This whole thing with Harvey Weinstein is giving me PTSD. Why? Because this kind of thing happened to ME," Crews wrote as he began to recount his experience through 16 tweets.
"My wife n I were at a Hollywood function last year n a high level Hollywood executive came over 2 me and groped my privates," he continued.
According to Crews, the executive just smiled following the altercation that his wife Rebecca had also witnessed.
The actor thought about confronting the executive physically, but decided against it and instead left the event early.
The actor then explained how he shared what happened with "everyone I knew that worked with him" which led to the executive apologizing to him without explaining why he groped Crews in the first place.
Crews stated how he did not take the issue further as he did not want to be "ostracized" in Hollywood.
"Who's going 2 believe you? ( few) What r the repercussions?(many) Do u want 2 work again? (Yes) R you prepared 2b ostracized?(No)," he tweeted.
The event, Crews said, has helped him understand the predicament many female stars have felt when dealing with Weinstein.
"I understand and empathize with those who have remained silent, But Harvey Weinstein is not the only perpetrator. Hollywood is not the only business we're this happens, and to the casualties of this behavior- you are not alone," he said.
"Hopefully, me coming forward with my story will deter a predator and encourage someone who feels hopeless," Crews concluded.
Copyright 2017 United Press International, Inc. (UPI). Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.