'Cops' picked up by Spike TV after Fox cancellation
UPI News Service, 05/07/2013
U.S. cable network Spike TV says it will start airing fresh episodes of the police-themed reality program "Cops" in September.
Fox recently canceled the show after 25 seasons.
Kevin Kay, president of Spike TV, announced details regarding the show's future Monday.
"'Cops' is a remarkable series that has been able to sustain strong ratings well into its third decade, a monumental achievement in television," Kay said in a statement. "As we continue to grow and expand our audience, new episodes of 'Cops,' with its loyal audience of Adults 18-49, is the perfect addition to our prime-time lineup on Saturday nights."
"After 25 seasons with Fox, we are delighted to find our new home with the Spike family where we previously aired 'Undercover Stings,'" said John Langley, president of Langley Productions and the creator of "Cops."
"And we are doubly pleased that our 'Cops' time slot remains Saturday nights for our fans. It may be bold to say, but we are looking for yet another record-breaking run with Spike."
"Cops" premiered March 11, 1989, and, thus far, includes more than 900 episodes. The show has followed officers in 140 different cities in the United States, as well as in Hong Kong, London and the former Soviet Union.
DISCUSS AND COMMENT ON THIS STORY Reality TV World now offers Facebook Comments on our stories. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then 'Add' your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the 'X' in the upper right corner of the comment box.